tony awards rant

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#25tony awards rant
Posted: 6/8/15 at 10:38am

I'm still angry that "History was made!" with Tesori and Kron's win for Best Score, but we got to see less than 10 seconds of it after a commercial break. Total BS. 

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

Liza's Headband
#26tony awards rant
Posted: 6/8/15 at 10:40am

I simply do not understand the sensibility of people who thought the Fun Home performance was anything less than a beautiful piece of television history. Which it was.

Your opinion. It doesn't make it true or a fact. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#27tony awards rant
Posted: 6/8/15 at 10:42am

Maybe NOW is the time to get the attention of the producers of the Tony Awards, instead of waiting until decisions are made.  

The Tonys are never going to be a ratings winner, so why NOT show us all of it.  Or freaking let PBS air it.    It breaks my heart to not see all the awards, I care as much about the tech awards as the performance awards.

(I don't care so much about "history" being made, as I do about the awards themselves.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#28tony awards rant
Posted: 6/8/15 at 10:54am

Why did PBS stop airing the technicals?

Too expensive?

....but the world goes 'round

pugsandcoffee Profile Photo
pugsandcoffee
#29tony awards rant
Posted: 6/8/15 at 10:59am

My only complaint about the Fun Home performance was they rewrote Alison's intro to the scene so as not to freak out Aunt Betsy in Idaho with the phrase, "old school butch."

That said, Lucas gave the nights most affecting performance, hands down.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#30tony awards rant
Posted: 6/8/15 at 11:03am

Well if Neverland chose the wrong song this year it doesn't matter, 'cos they will be on every year they wish thanks to money outbidding scruples.

Perhaps next year Neverland can perform Act 1 and we can scrap the awards for Best Score, Play and Actress because those should be invisible.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#31tony awards rant
Posted: 6/8/15 at 11:13am

That was pretty funny devonian.

....but the world goes 'round

TheresaG Profile Photo
TheresaG
#32tony awards rant
Posted: 6/8/15 at 11:35am

I don't post very often here, but I have a question that maybe someone can answer for me.

Why was Josh Groban chosen to sing for the In Memoriam tribute? Yes, he sings nice, but as far as I know, he's never been in a Broadway or even Off-Broadway show.  I should think with all the amazing singers on Broadway, they could have found someone to sing that other than him.

And yes, i realize he has that CD with the Broadway tunes on it that just came out. So do a lot of people.

Is there a connection here that I don't know about?

Liza's Headband
#33tony awards rant
Posted: 6/8/15 at 11:38am

Yes. He is a name that may attract a few extra eyeballs. Whenever they can find a way to link in a "mainstream" celebrity or performer, they will do so. He didn't deserve to perform the In Memoriam... but clearly the producers felt there was a strong enough justification there and wanted to be able to add him to the roster. Not all that new or surprising of an approach since the broadcast ratings for the Tonys are typically horrendous. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#34tony awards rant
Posted: 6/8/15 at 11:41am

He is a name.

Poster Emeritus

Jay94
#35tony awards rant
Posted: 6/8/15 at 11:46am

I thought it was a very good show this year. It felt much more low-key than it usually does which I thought was a nice change. We didn't seem to have hosts who were doing their best to make it a three hour tribute to themselves, *ahem* Neil, Hugh.

TheresaG Profile Photo
TheresaG
#36tony awards rant
Posted: 6/8/15 at 11:47am

He is a name is what I thought it might be - thanks for your thoughts on this.

Odd how they didn't want to dim the lights for someone earlier this year because they hadn't been on Broadway for awhile, but they let a total outsider represent that section of the show.

Liza's Headband
#37tony awards rant
Posted: 6/8/15 at 11:54am

If you know the American Theatre Wing, it's actually not that odd. Sadly.

Only the Wing would exclude the presentation of its awards for Best Book and Best Score in favor of a boring "closing number" from JERSEY BOYS. I mean, really? 

KathyNYC2
#38tony awards rant
Posted: 6/8/15 at 12:00pm

"Maybe NOW is the time to get the attention of the producers of the Tony Awards, instead of waiting until decisions are made.  

The Tonys are never going to be a ratings winner, so why NOT show us all of it.  Or freaking let PBS air it.    It breaks my heart to not see all the awards, I care as much about the tech awards as the performance awards.

(I don't care so much about "history" being made, as I do about the awards themselves.)"

Let PBS air it? Is that an option? Have they ever asked to do it? I know they used to have the tech awards before the network telecast but bowed out because it was too expensive and didn't have enough viewers...

Just curious...

Liza's Headband
#39tony awards rant
Posted: 6/8/15 at 12:01pm

PBS could never afford to do it. I cannot even imagine how much $$ both CBS and American Theatre Wing would demand. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#40tony awards rant
Posted: 6/8/15 at 12:07pm

PBS could not afford it.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 6/8/15 at 12:07 PM

Liza's Headband
#41tony awards rant
Posted: 6/8/15 at 12:09pm

You're repeating me in every single thread, fool. 

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#42tony awards rant
Posted: 6/8/15 at 12:11pm

I really wanted Andy Karl and Nathaniel Parker to win. Everything else was good.

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

FindingNamo
#43tony awards rant
Posted: 6/8/15 at 12:12pm

It's just my opinion that "Ring of Keys" is that it was the first time EVER that a song about lesbian desire was sung on a national broadcast of the Tony Awards, making it historic?  There are some times your fifth grade debating style is not applicable.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Liza's Headband
#44tony awards rant
Posted: 6/8/15 at 12:16pm

There are many other musical numbers, commenting on sexual orientation and identity, that have been performed over the years. Lesbianism is not excluded from that. The performance of "Ring of Keys" was not historic in that respect. 

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#45tony awards rant
Posted: 6/8/15 at 12:21pm

I was so worried about Ring of Keys getting swallowed up by Radio City, but I thought it was gorgeous and the best number of the night. Lucas is amazing. 

I really did except to buy a cheap ticket to Gigi, just to see Victoria Clark...but holy crap was that bad. What was Hudgens doing? It was all over the place and a giant mess.

The projections for Finding Neverland were cool, but I hated the performance. Song hammered home one repetitive theme, and I personally dont like Morrison's style of delivery. Why does he feel the need to always show us how hard he's working? 

Lisa Howard is a phenomenal singer, but that song is just not great. Wish she had better material but I'm happy she got a big Tony moment.

I was really bored by An American in Paris. At first I thought "wow, incredible dancing". But then I kept waiting for singing, and when they finally did, it was so non-descript that the whole thing bled together and I cant even remember what they did.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#46tony awards rant
Posted: 6/8/15 at 12:22pm

Besides Best Musical & score, wanted Brad Oscar to win.

The boffo opening number should help almost as much as Best Musical.

Poster Emeritus

FindingNamo
#47tony awards rant
Posted: 6/8/15 at 12:27pm

"The performance of 'Ring of Keys' was not historic in that respect."

You're nucking futs.

Liza's Headband
#48tony awards rant
Posted: 6/8/15 at 12:32pm

Again, that is your opinion. Who ultimately acts the chief arbiter of what is "historic?" Singing a song about discovering your sexual preference is not historic. An all-female writing team winning best musical, score and book is, however, historic as that is statistically measurable. 

FindingNamo
#49tony awards rant
Posted: 6/8/15 at 12:35pm

I said it was historic to hear of lesbian desire on the Tony'ses.  In fact, in point of fact, it was.  You said lesbians were "not excluded" from "MANY" (?) musical numbers commenting on sexual orientation (ON THE TONY AWARDS?) but you are as ever wrong as wrong can bee.