pixeltracker

Broadhurst/Lyceum/Neil Simon/Cort?

Broadhurst/Lyceum/Neil Simon/Cort?

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#1Broadhurst/Lyceum/Neil Simon/Cort?
Posted: 6/9/15 at 6:48pm

With Gigi announcing its closing, does anyone have any rumors of what is going in the Broadhurst, Lyceum, Cort or Neil Simon?

Assuming Misery and Sylvia will take Lyceum and Cort, no?

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#2Broadhurst/Lyceum/Neil Simon/Cort?
Posted: 6/9/15 at 7:04pm

Falsettos? Tuck Everlasting?

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#2Broadhurst/Lyceum/Neil Simon/Cort?
Posted: 6/9/15 at 7:24pm

The Chalk Garden will take the Lyceum. Misery is taking the Broadhurst. Sylvia will be at the Cort. As far as the Neil Simon...Ever After? The Brooks Atkinson will also be opening for the fall.

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#3Broadhurst/Lyceum/Neil Simon/Cort?
Posted: 6/9/15 at 9:15pm

With 5 musicals IN A ROW closing prematurely at the Simon, that would be the last theater any new musical should go into even if it has to wait for another theater to open up.

Poster Emeritus

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#4Broadhurst/Lyceum/Neil Simon/Cort?
Posted: 6/9/15 at 9:31pm

Stop with that nonsense.  It's so foolish.  

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Phillypinto
#5Broadhurst/Lyceum/Neil Simon/Cort?
Posted: 6/9/15 at 9:34pm

smaxie, do you have any scoop about shows coming in?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#6Broadhurst/Lyceum/Neil Simon/Cort?
Posted: 6/9/15 at 9:38pm

Of course it is foolish - because you say it is

I have my opinion and you have yours.

Poster Emeritus

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#7Broadhurst/Lyceum/Neil Simon/Cort?
Posted: 6/9/15 at 10:05pm

the physical theater has nothing to do with the failures of any show.

Do you ever credit a show's success on the theater? Of course not.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

MDM2015
#8Broadhurst/Lyceum/Neil Simon/Cort?
Posted: 6/9/15 at 10:17pm

I heard months ago "The Illusionists" we're planning a return holiday run in the Simon. They printed money last year so it makes sense.  

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#9Broadhurst/Lyceum/Neil Simon/Cort?
Posted: 6/9/15 at 10:27pm

Of course you do, dramamama. Certain theaters are prime real estate. Producers carefully consider their proposed theater because 1) the number of seats controls their revenue, 2) certain theaters have a musician minimum with local 802 (whether it is a musical or not), 3) the rent varies by theater, 4) the literal location DOES matter as it impacts convenience, awareness, FOH visibility, etc., and 5) some producers are just superstitious and think some theaters are luckier than others.

take BOOK OF MORMON as an example. It is in a medium house. One could argue that if it were in a larger theater, it could sell more seats and make more money per week. However one could also argue that if it were in a larger theater, tickets would be easier to buy as there is more inventory, and ticket demand certainly gave this show buzz and word of mouth, contributing to its success.

take the Winter Garden as an example. Many producers think it is an ideal location because of its central Broadway spot, it's large marquee that you can see blocks away, and it's off the corner of the 1 train.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Phillypinto
#10Broadhurst/Lyceum/Neil Simon/Cort?
Posted: 6/9/15 at 10:30pm

what is local 802? 

carnzee
#11Broadhurst/Lyceum/Neil Simon/Cort?
Posted: 6/9/15 at 10:35pm

What is sylvia? And philly, who is your new avitar? Its hot in a cheesy way.

Phillypinto
#12Broadhurst/Lyceum/Neil Simon/Cort?
Posted: 6/9/15 at 10:41pm

Sylvia is a play coming to broadway this fall at a theatre to be announced! It is starring Julie White and Annaleigh Ashford! She's playing a dog!! 

My new avatar is of Jerry Mitchell! He directed/choreographed Kinky Boots and Legally Blonde, and has choreographed several shows throughout the years. He has 2 tonys, and is directing On Your Feet! He is also the creator of Broadway Bares, and is directing it this year, so I put that pic up in honor of Broadway Bares!

carnzee
#13Broadhurst/Lyceum/Neil Simon/Cort?
Posted: 6/9/15 at 10:45pm

Now I know who he is! That's from Will Rogers Follies. I remember him saying in an interview that getting in that shape for that show was revenge on an ex-boyfriend of his!

Phillypinto
#14Broadhurst/Lyceum/Neil Simon/Cort?
Posted: 6/9/15 at 10:52pm

LOL that was actually a pic from a year when he was in broadway bares, but i think that it was a throwback to Will Rodgers Follies

Amalia3 Profile Photo
Amalia3
#15Broadhurst/Lyceum/Neil Simon/Cort?
Posted: 6/9/15 at 11:26pm

It depends on the show.  Few producers have the luxury of deciding which theatre they will go to.  Given the overall shortage of good houses, the theatre owners are really the ones who determine where certain shows will land.  Only the very cream of the crop of producers will be able to influence a choice.  Of course, if you have a Hamilton on your hands, you can choose your theatre.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#16Broadhurst/Lyceum/Neil Simon/Cort?
Posted: 6/9/15 at 11:30pm

If I were a producer, I would wait until another theater opened up or hold off until the next season before bringing a new musical into the Simon.

Poster Emeritus

Amalia3 Profile Photo
Amalia3
#17Broadhurst/Lyceum/Neil Simon/Cort?
Posted: 6/9/15 at 11:31pm

Don't forget that Hairspray ran there for a long time.  The losing streak won't last forever.  

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#18Broadhurst/Lyceum/Neil Simon/Cort?
Posted: 6/9/15 at 11:33pm

It is 5 and counting

I would hate to be #6

Poster Emeritus

Amalia3 Profile Photo
Amalia3
#19Broadhurst/Lyceum/Neil Simon/Cort?
Posted: 6/10/15 at 10:32pm

Someone pointed out on another thread that the shows that ran (and flopped) at the Simon would not have been hits even if they were at the Shubert (or some other "lucky" house) - so I don't necessarily think it's the theatre's fault.  Just bad luck.  If you were trying to get your show on Broadway, and the theatre owners said you could only have the Simon, you probably would take it, losing streak be damned.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#20Broadhurst/Lyceum/Neil Simon/Cort?
Posted: 6/11/15 at 12:01am

I disagree. 

Having worked for a producer in the past, I know that many would very well wait for a theater that can fit their show. Be it that means the house size, the stage dimensions or the theater location... if a producer has a certain house in mind that is or can be available in the forseeable future (meaning not, say, the Gershwin or the Majestic) they will wait. Even if that means a season later, they will. 

Then there are others who see an open theater and take it to get their show off the ground and into the current season when they believe the show is most "ready." 

Jonwo
#21Broadhurst/Lyceum/Neil Simon/Cort?
Posted: 6/11/15 at 9:45am

To me, there's no such thing as unlucky theatres, most theatres have their fair shares of hits and flops. Both The Gershwin and Minskoff went for years without a successful show and now both have long running hits. I imagine the Neil Simon will eventually find a successful show, may it be a revival or a new show. 

kooky
#22Broadhurst/Lyceum/Neil Simon/Cort?
Posted: 6/11/15 at 9:57am

Local 802 ….. is the LOCAL musicians union ...

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#23Broadhurst/Lyceum/Neil Simon/Cort?
Posted: 6/11/15 at 11:29am

A View From the Bridge takes the Lyceum. 

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#24Broadhurst/Lyceum/Neil Simon/Cort?
Posted: 6/11/15 at 11:42am

The Uris/Gershwin didn't have a true smash until WICKED, many years after it opened its doors in the early 1970s. The Alvin/Neil Simon has been home to many successes dating back to the 1930s...ANYTHING GOES, ...FORUM, COMPANY, ANNIE, HAIRSPRAY. The latter two ran quite some time. Don't count it out. I don't think theaters are the problem. I think the shows that play in them are. Maybe if everyone in GIGI had learned to pronounce "Gigi" properly, it would have lasted a little longer.