pixeltracker

Beaches opens at Drury Lane Chicago- Page 2

Beaches opens at Drury Lane Chicago

ChiTheaterFan
#25Beaches opening June 24 at Drury Lane Chicago
Posted: 6/18/15 at 10:28am

If you want nice and upscale I would recommend you have brunch in the city before leaving. Around Oakbrook you will find mostly chains. Nomi in the Park Hyatt is the way to go if you really want fancy. (Don't think of your typical hotel restaurant. This is an upscale place with a fabulous view.)

If you want something not fancy but trendy check out the Publican in the west loop or bongo room in the south loop. 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#26Beaches opening June 24 at Drury Lane Chicago
Posted: 6/18/15 at 10:47am

yumm, Bongo Room - Red Velvet Pancakes -  yummm

Note: Bongo Room does not take reservations.  But, so worth it.  

But, ChiTeaterFan is right:  eating in downtown Chicago likely will be much nicer than out in OakBrook.  Just watch your time.  

ChiTheaterFan
#27Beaches opening June 24 at Drury Lane Chicago
Posted: 6/18/15 at 10:47am

Also if you don't want to stay in the city but don't want a chain, you could do some Google searches about what is in oak park, which is on your way. I don't know of anything specifically but it's a closer suburb and has a cute downtown. It's similar to Evanston where your friend lives. 

If you're fine with chains the options in Oakbrook or fine. It's just all chains because of the mall. 

Updated On: 6/18/15 at 10:47 AM

ChiTheaterFan
#28Beaches opening June 24 at Drury Lane Chicago
Posted: 6/18/15 at 10:56am

"yumm, Bongo Room - Red Velvet Pancakes -  yummm
Note: Bongo Room does not take reservations.  But, so worth it.  
But, ChiTeaterFan is right:  eating in downtown Chicago likely will be much nicer than out in OakBrook.  Just watch your time.  
 "

The red velvet are actually my least favorite of their pancakes! I ordered them the first time expecting them to be mind blowing. And they were good but the others blew my mind more. I am hoping they bring back the banana bacon pancakes. Dare to dream!  

Aaaaaand now I'm hungry for pancakes. 

bongo is actually by far my favorite place to have brunch near downtown but it's not what I'd call upscale.

But yes, I would leave at least a good hour to get to Oakbrook. If I were you my itinerary would be to go to bongo close to 9 when it opens, then head out to Oakbrook (leaving around 11 or 12) and hanging out at the mall to kill time before the 2 pm show. The nice thing about the mall being right there is you can get out there early and have something to do. It's a very nice mall and the corridors are open air.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#29Beaches opening June 24 at Drury Lane Chicago
Posted: 6/18/15 at 10:56am

Thanks for the suggestion, but having a wonderful upscale brunch IN the city, then driving about an hour (plus allowing lots of extra time for just-in-case traffic is not my idea of a good time -- unless we forgo drinking, and then what is the point of brunch?  LOL

ChiTheaterFan
#30Beaches opening June 24 at Drury Lane Chicago
Posted: 6/18/15 at 11:00am

"Thanks for the suggestion, but having a wonderful upscale brunch IN the city, then driving about an hour (plus allowing lots of extra time for just-in-case traffic is not my idea of a good time -- unless we forgo drinking, and then what is the point of brunch?  LOL

"

Ahhhh yes. Excellent point. And Bongo room south loop is sadly BYOB. Which is really a travesty and why I usually go to their other locations. 

jon5202 Profile Photo
jon5202
#31Beaches opening June 24 at Drury Lane Chicago
Posted: 6/18/15 at 11:03am

These are your food options at Oakbrook Center (next door to the theatre):

http://www.oakbrookcenter.com/dining-entertainment

I would recommend Maggiano's or Antico Posto.

Drury Lane Oakbrook is an upscale musical theatre facility with professional Broadway caliber Equity productions.  They are trying to go beyond the usual tried and true musical revivals by looking for newly released Broadway shows and in this case a show that has Broadway aspirations.  The family that operates the theatre have been longtime stalwarts of the Chicago theatre community.  They originally had four theatres (2 in the city and 2 in the burbs).  This is their only remaining facility.  I believe they hope to remodel the space to include a larger fly lofted proscenium space capable of producing all large scale Broadway shows. 

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#32Beaches opening June 24 at Drury Lane Chicago
Posted: 6/18/15 at 11:15am

I enjoyed their productions of Hello Dolly starring Karen Ziemba, Spelling Bee and Next to Normal.  But Curtains was AWFUL (I loved the Broadway production).  And the facility really needs to be updated to the 21st century and get rid of the 80s kitsch.

This will give you an idea of what to expect:

Beaches opening June 24 at Drury Lane Chicago

It aims for opulence.  But it misses the target and hits tacky right in the bullseye.  But I suppose it's a dream for those with a chandelier fetish.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 6/18/15 at 11:15 AM

pc1145N2 Profile Photo
pc1145N2
#33Beaches opening June 24 at Drury Lane Chicago
Posted: 6/28/15 at 1:22pm

I saw this show last Thursday. Let me begin by saying that I live about 20 minutes away from the theatre so the commute was not an issue for me at all.

Having said that, I thought the show was very, very weak. I found the score forgettable and aside from "Wind Beneath My Wings," I don't remember a single melody from the show. The performers were all very talented and I felt bad for them.

I've never seen Shoshana Bean in a show before but she wasn't what I expected. For some reason, I figured that she would be doing a version of Bette Midler but she really ended up doing a musical version of Rhoda Morgenstern....tho not near as funny. On a side note. her wigs were wildly distracting. 

It's been decades since I saw the movie so I can't speak to how closely it follows the movie. They were selling the book in the lobby, so perhaps it was closer to the book?

When all was said and done, the real reason I didn't bond with the show was there was no chemistry between the 2 leads. They didn't draw me in or make me care about either of them.

ebontoyan
#34Beaches opening June 24 at Drury Lane Chicago
Posted: 6/28/15 at 7:41pm

I saw the show on Sat night and I really wanted to like it since I loved the movie and its signature song 'Wind beneath my wings' Unfortunately I could not feel a connection and felt so detached watching it.  Also I though the signature song was just added as an afterthought.  The Soshana character was recording it in the studio. There was no sense of its place in the show. It was very sung well though.

As a contrast, I enjoyed a lot more The First Wives Club which also had a Chicago tryout early this year and I am realistic enough to say that show may never arrive in Broadway.  FWC was campy, funny, heartbreaking, songs/music were catchy and serviceable.

I don't think Beaches is anywhere near Broadway ready.  Also, on Sat night the right orchestra section was empty

Updated On: 6/28/15 at 07:41 PM

jon5202 Profile Photo
jon5202
#35Beaches opening June 24 at Drury Lane Chicago
Posted: 6/28/15 at 11:28pm

Saw the matinee today at Drury Lane.  

I think the show has a potential chance for a New York run, however, it definitely needs more retooling.  It has two energetic performers in Shoshana Bean and Whitney Bashor who do not particularly copy the performances from the movie (though let it be noted that it has been stated that the show is based more on the book than the film).  Some nice scenic design (though Drury Lane is limited to minimal fly space so all scene changes come out of the wings).  Serviceable music (I almost wish this was a jukebox musical considering the time span and decade changes of the story.)  The book needs work in the first act - they need to add some more comedy.  The second act is not bad at all and I found it very entertaining. 

The male leads have nothing much to do in this production and maybe character songs for them could be useful.  John (Cee Cee's husband) does have a short song but it is not memorable.       

Wind Beneath My Wings is very simply performed (in a recording studio) in the middle of Act II but it should be sung as a reprise at the end of the show (which ends somewhat too abruptly and quietly).  

Therefore in it's present form Beaches needs some book doctoring, at least one other memorable song besides Wings and a more beefed up ensemble.  Also, I would get a better choreographer for Broadway.  So I would give this ** 1/2 out of 4.

Press night is July 2.  Reviews and videos to follow. 

Updated On: 6/28/15 at 11:28 PM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#37Beaches opening June 24 at Drury Lane Chicago
Posted: 6/28/15 at 11:41pm

It should be noted that the stage version is closer to the book than the film because that's what the producers have the rights to. That's why the Barbara Hershey character is Hilary in the film but Bertie in the book/musical, etc.  Iris Rainer Dart, who wrote the original novel, is also the person who wrote the show's book.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#38Beaches opening June 24 at Drury Lane Chicago
Posted: 6/29/15 at 9:32am

The drury lane is a thrust and so small that I can't see any set transferring with a production to a Broadway house.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#39Beaches opening June 24 at Drury Lane Chicago
Posted: 6/29/15 at 9:59am

Drury Lane is only sort of a thrust, and it's been turned in to almost a proper proscenium for Beaches.

I though this was sort of a mess, but I really enjoyed myself. You could tell the audience really seemed to love it. The last 25 minutes were quite lovely, and you could hear the middle aged women sobbing in unison. I agree the ending was very quiet, and the audience seemed to want things to swell, but I liked it very much.

All the scenes with the women at all ages worked very well, but the men have nothing much to do. There's some unfortunate artificial conflict that closes the first act that should be switched to something more believable/interesting. There's some good songs, but most of them aren't memorable. The big song sort of lays there. It's not terrible placement, but it seems to be asking for better integration into the story. I also wish Bertie had a big song. Whitney Bashor was seriously delightful.

Judging by the audience reaction, the show should be a big hit with the target audience, but it's hard to imagine it will make much of an impression without some serious retooling. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

jon5202 Profile Photo
jon5202
#40Beaches opening June 24 at Drury Lane Chicago
Posted: 7/3/15 at 1:41pm

First reviews of Beaches are coming in:

http://www.theatreinchicago.com/beaches/reviews/7807/

http://entertainment.suntimes.com/movies/world-premiere-beaches-musical-drury-lane-oakbrook/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/theater/ct-beaches-review-20150703-story.html

Note: Tribune review is not by Chris Jones but by Kerry Reid another Tribune theatre critic.

Updated On: 7/4/15 at 01:41 PM

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#41Beaches opening June 24 at Drury Lane Chicago
Posted: 7/3/15 at 5:39pm

Am I the only one who has always found "Wind Beneath My Wings" embarrassingly condescending? (And not just because the title sounds like a song about farting.) Midler sings it beautifully, of course, and it has a lovely tune. But those lyrics!

"It must have been cold there in my shadow..." Well, la dee da! Maybe the lyric is keeping the song from being fully integrated into the plot. What could Hillary/Bertie say in reply that wouldn't end the friendship right there?

My best friend since high school is a semi-name well known to posters on this board. I've discussed her elsewhere. Although she has achieved far greater commercial success than I, NEVER has she suggested her work is more important than mine. We are each just as supportive of the other's work as we were when we were teenagers.

Isn't that what real friends do?

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#42Beaches opening June 24 at Drury Lane Chicago
Posted: 7/3/15 at 5:41pm

who's your best friend

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#43Beaches opening June 24 at Drury Lane Chicago
Posted: 7/3/15 at 5:53pm

Paige O'Hara, "Belle" of the animated BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. She also starred on Broadway in SHOW BOAT (1983), EDWIN DROOD (replaced Betty Buckley), and LES MISERABLES.

She's been living and working in Vegas for years now.

I didn't mean to use this thread as a chance to name drop, but it occurred to me that Paige and I are analogous to the two women in BEACHES (except that I'm not a woman).

Updated On: 7/3/15 at 05:53 PM

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#44Beaches opening June 24 at Drury Lane Chicago
Posted: 7/3/15 at 7:06pm

oh cooool!!!!!

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#45Beaches opening June 24 at Drury Lane Chicago
Posted: 7/3/15 at 9:59pm

I've seen many productions at drury lane, but does anyone know if there is a stage door?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

EchoParker Profile Photo
EchoParker
#46Beaches opening June 24 at Drury Lane Chicago
Posted: 7/4/15 at 3:51am

It's been many a moon, but in my Oakbrook days, the stage door was on the west side of the building. (You drive in from the East, if that's a help.) There's a hotel (the taller of the two hotels) on the West side of the theatre, and parking spaces between the theatre and hotel. The stage door faces the (tall) hotel. Though on Saturdays (random fact) the cast (usually) won't leave between shows. They eat some of that (fancy!) food in one of the (fancy!) dining rooms after the earlier evening show. (That is, if they're still doing the same Saturday schedule as in days of old.)

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#48Beaches opening June 24 at Drury Lane Chicago
Posted: 7/4/15 at 8:24pm

I guess I have a chandelier fetish then... o.O

Anyway, I enjoyed the Beaches movie but I found it a bit melodramatic. I can only imagine how drippy it could get onstage. I'm more curious as to whether or not Bean and Bashor tried to copy Midler and Hershey, and if they preserved the Otto Titsling sequence in its entirety (still one of my favorite scenes in the film)...

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

pc1145N2 Profile Photo
pc1145N2
#49Beaches opening June 24 at Drury Lane Chicago
Posted: 7/4/15 at 8:35pm

Otto Titsling is not mentioned at all.