Inside Out

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#25Inside Out
Posted: 6/23/15 at 2:55pm

I can't defend "Lava's" emotional impact, but I know two sets of friends with younger children who said that's what they keep talking about from the afternoon at the movies.  One set came home and began to act it out. I think its simplicity and its stylized and very brief handling of huge (actually geological) themes in a mythological way speaks to younger children.  

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

mattporter17 Profile Photo
mattporter17
#26Inside Out
Posted: 6/23/15 at 4:29pm

Best Picture contender? Thoughts?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#27Inside Out
Posted: 6/23/15 at 4:39pm

If the Academy is still doing their flexible number of nominated films, I would say so.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#28Inside Out
Posted: 6/26/15 at 5:25pm

Thanks, tomorrow with my granddaughters.

Stephanatic

FindingNamo
#29Inside Out
Posted: 6/28/15 at 1:36am

It might have been record short amount of time into a movie before tears were flowing freely down my face and I wasn't even being made sad.  

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#30Inside Out
Posted: 6/28/15 at 10:45am

What got you? The introduction of Joy when Riley was a baby?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

South Florida
#31Inside Out
Posted: 6/28/15 at 12:35pm

Great time, great movie, the six year olds loved it.  My favorite since Nemo.

Stephanatic

FindingNamo
#32Inside Out
Posted: 6/28/15 at 12:42pm

That might have been it…  also, later on when Sadness helps somebody out and Joy asks her how she did it and Sadness says a line that Joy interrupts, something like, "I don't know, she seemed sad so I just list--".  It's a little line that seems like a throwaway but it just about slayed me.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#33Inside Out
Posted: 6/28/15 at 1:52pm

This movie is just so damn good. I've seen it now 3 times and it's just as good on a second and third viewing. 

FindingNamo
#34Inside Out
Posted: 6/28/15 at 2:11pm

I watched it with my eyes and ears and brain as open as possible and still feel like there's a lot more to catch on repeated viewings.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#35Inside Out
Posted: 6/28/15 at 3:27pm

Major Spoiler alert........

2 words: Bing. Bong. That moment slayed me, because I didn't expect it.

Was I the only one who thought he'd end up being the villain, in the Lotso-esque way?

Updated On: 6/28/15 at 03:27 PM

FindingNamo
#36Inside Out
Posted: 6/28/15 at 3:40pm

I don't even know who Lotso is but I had no idea where it was going before it ended up in a bucket of my tears.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#37Inside Out
Posted: 6/28/15 at 3:47pm

"I don't even know who Lotso is but I had no idea where it was going before it ended up in a bucket of my tears."

Lotso Lovin' Bear was the villain from Toy Story 3, another brilliant Pixar film. 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#38Inside Out
Posted: 6/28/15 at 4:58pm

One of the best movies I've seen lately.  Very well done.  The only thing I felt was rushed and not as well written as the rest of the film was the *SPOILER* finale moment when Joy uses the stacked boyfriends and propels herself to Sadness on the cloud, and the fire to make a hole in the window.  Just didn't seem as well thought out and clever as the rest of the film.

Updated On: 6/28/15 at 04:58 PM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#39Inside Out
Posted: 6/28/15 at 6:58pm

All the scenes with Bing Bong were really touching, but the moment that got me -SPOILER- was seeing Sadness finally take over, allowing Riley to cry. I just about lost it there.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

South Florida
#40Inside Out
Posted: 6/29/15 at 9:04pm

I hope it gets best movie consideration.

Stephanatic

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#41Inside Out
Posted: 6/29/15 at 9:06pm

Just got back from seeing this with the family, and I just have to say that after disappointments like Brave and Cars 2, I'm so glad that Pixar seems to be getting back into the groove of things. This one is truly Pixar at its best. (Kind of made me think of Toy Story With Feelings, especially since Toy Story is my favorite Pixar film.)

It also helps that I'm still finishing out my teenage years, so seeing Riley go through her tantrums and preteen emotional breakdown brought back memories that are still kind of fresh, lol.

All in all, I agree that this movie isn't necessarily geared towards kids, but there isn't really any reason why kids shouldn't be able to see it and enjoy what they're watching. (Unless they're deathly scared of clowns.)

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

South Florida
#42Inside Out
Posted: 6/29/15 at 9:10pm

It was so cool, an escape of love.

Stephanatic

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#43Inside Out
Posted: 7/2/15 at 8:38am

I loved the movie . . so very touching in profound and though-provoking ways.  

I'm confused about something.

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

At the end, when Riley finally releases her emotions and invites her parents back into her heart, there is a moment right before the ice hockey game when mom (and all of mom's emotions) remark about dad's great idea.  What are they referring to?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#44Inside Out
Posted: 7/2/15 at 9:23am

Painting their faces the team colors.

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#45Inside Out
Posted: 7/2/15 at 11:47am

"Painting their faces the team colors."

Missed that entirely. Thanks. 

Roscoe
#46Inside Out
Posted: 7/4/15 at 8:39am

Went to see INSIDE OUT -- loved the opening short, a delightful short called LAVA which was magical and charming and funny and moving and imaginative, just one of those magical short films that makes you fall to your knees and say, "Thank God there's a Pixar!"

LAVA was as delightful as the full length film was not.

INSIDE OUT is an oddly unimaginative and unengaging film from Pixar, about what goes on in a little girl's head. Borrowing a notion used to wittier effect in Woody Allen's EVERYTHING YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT SEX, Pixar shows us a control console managed by anthropomorphized emotions Joy, Sadness, Disgust, Anger and Fear who struggle to keep the little girl on an even keel during some frankly low level trauma: her family relocates from Minnesota to San Francisco and she's kind of bummed about it. There's the occasional bit of Pixar magic, no doubt (side-trips into other heads are funny and revealing), but all too often it settles for easy on the nose characterizations and situations (the little red Anger character gets a Hot Head, I mean really, and there's an actual Train Of Thought, with wheels and an engine) and dated unfunny jokes: a slice of vegetarian pizza is blamed on San Francisco in a joke that might have been amusing in 1979, and a reference to bears/gay men falls really spectacularly flat. The story, most unforgivably, is just shocking predictable -- there's never any doubt where the film is going to go and it goes exactly and only there. If only those Pixar standbys Surprise, Wit and Intelligence had gotten to the console in this movie's head, we might have gotten something really interesting, instead of the soggy kiddie-chick movie we're stuck with here.

Boy am I in the minority on this one.  But I'm not alone:

Pixar Depression

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#47Inside Out
Posted: 7/4/15 at 10:41am

Actually I think a lot of people agree with you Roscoe, but on the internet people go crazy for Pixar. While I think it is an exceptional movie, I'm not immune to the movie's flaws. It has almost the exact same story as every pixar movie (Character A is determined to be in charge, but an event happens where Character A has to go far away usually to get something and for whatever reason has to bring Character B, much to Character A's chagrin. Character A tries to do whatever he is trying to do without character B's help, and they end up separated, but then Character A realizes the value of Character B and they meet back up and they accomplish their goal together). Most Pixar movies riff on that plot somehow, but this movie follows it to a t. However, it has some of the best world building I've ever seen for a movie and the way that everything pieces together to create Riley as an incredibly naturalistic character. And then there's the humor and pathos. Most humor in animated movies I find funny that I wouldn't find funny in a live action movie, but I laughed quite a bit in the movie. And Pixar makes you cry like nobody else, and while an emotional response does not a good movie make (I'm looking at you The Fault in Our Stars), of course I cried with the rest of the audience. Seeing it a second time has made me able to see where the movie wouldn't appeal to a lot of people, but I also still feel that the movie is pretty great. 

Of course, you aren't being crazy negative like some people on the internet, like the always crazy but occasionally intelligent Grace Randolph, and of course Alex Johnston, who nitpicks the movie to death, which is very uncharacteristic of him, who is usually the most intelligent movie reviewer out there today.

Though I think anybody who didn't like the beautiful and poetic Lava is idiotic :)

Updated On: 7/4/15 at 10:41 AM

Roscoe
#48Inside Out
Posted: 7/4/15 at 11:11am

I just couldn't feel too bad about little Riley's little problems.  I have very intimate knowledge of the issues surrounding a relocation for children (I lived in nine different cities before I turned 19), the horror of the first day in a new school, all of that, and I'm sure that a lot of folks do.  It wasn't long before I started thinking that little Riley's issues were very temporary indeed, a good pepperoni pizza and a good night's sleep would cure most of her ills, I mean, come on kid, your parents are happily married and devoted to your happiness, you're living in SAN FRANCISCO for ****'s sake.  Maybe if the stakes had been a bit higher -- what if Riley's parents were divorcing, or Riley's parents had relocated to the small town of Fecal Smear, Alabama and she had to deal with something less easily resolved by a good cry and a group hug?

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#49Inside Out
Posted: 7/4/15 at 11:26am

You couldn't have told this story, if you wanted to tell THAT story. The important thing was that Riley's problems only seemed so huge and insurmountable when looked at through a single emotional lens. Things like divorce or a major socioeconomic change would have lasting damage/repercussions.

In order to illustrate the film's climax- the first movement of a young person's life from simple to complex emotional processing- the central struggle had to be something that couldn't be dealt with easily by one emotion alone, but could be dealt with and ultimately "conquered" by two or more. If the stakes were any higher, it would be a different movie with a different end game/outcome.