King and I Mishaps?

purplehibiscus Profile Photo
purplehibiscus
#1King and I Mishaps?
Posted: 6/18/15 at 10:11pm

Just for laughs, does anyone know of any mistakes/technical difficulties/character breaks during the run of the King and I yet? (Or any other Kelli O'Hara show for that matter?) Thanks!

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#2King and I Mishaps?
Posted: 6/18/15 at 10:15pm

I saw an early preview and there were issues getting the ship back after it's reveal. The crew had to come and do some kind of adjustment (I suppose...I couldn't really tell from where I was sitting) to get it moving again.

FindingNamo
#2King and I Mishaps?

I will never forget the time she said "pubic" instead of "rubric."  Laugh?  I thought I'd die.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#3King and I Mishaps?

There were a few at the first preview if you go back and read the accounts. I believe there were reports of an ensemble member almost falling off the stage.

FindingNamo
#4King and I Mishaps?
Posted: 6/18/15 at 10:16pm

LOL!

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#5King and I Mishaps?
Posted: 6/18/15 at 10:17pm

Yes, I was there when someone practically fell off the stage. It was the first preview. 

purplehibiscus
#6King and I Mishaps?
Posted: 6/18/15 at 10:27pm

"I will never forget the time she said "pubic" instead of "rubric."  Laugh?  I thought I'd die.

"

WHAT?! Aha, that's amazing and horrific at the same time...what was the audience/cast reaction to that???

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#7King and I Mishaps?
Posted: 6/19/15 at 8:03am

Actually, I have been meaning to say this. Last Sunday, during the ballet, when little Ava (?) ran through the tiny house, her wig got stuck and she fell back. The show stopped to a halt for a few seconds as George was checking up on her. The show continued 10 seconds later and she was just fine.

Replacement Cast Profile Photo
Replacement Cast
#8King and I Mishaps?
Posted: 6/19/15 at 4:57pm

According to Christine Pedi's insanely marvelous "Sh*t that Liza Minnelli Says" . . . Dean Martin fell off the stage.  He fell off the stage!

Nice is different than good.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#9King and I Mishaps?
Posted: 6/19/15 at 7:00pm

Ken stepped on Kelli's dress during the polka in Shall We Dance, and they both went tumbling down. jk.

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY
Updated On: 6/19/15 at 07:00 PM

loliveve Profile Photo
loliveve
#10King and I Mishaps?
Posted: 6/20/15 at 11:59am

Well, not so much a mishap apparently, but a prank pulled by Ken: 

You said you like to keep it fresh and change it up. How does Kelli react on stage?

One time, after the whipping scene, I fell on the floor. I didn’t tell Kelli. Just two guards to help me and take [me] off the stage. I fell down, then everybody was so surprised [mimics a loud gasp].  But Kelli was wondering, was it a real heart attack? At end of the scene, I go back to the side stage.  At curtain call, I said “I’m so sorry.” She said, “I’ll kill you.”

WSJ article

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#11King and I Mishaps?
Posted: 6/20/15 at 2:53pm

Nothing during TKAI but during Nice Work Kelli got the giggles and had to turn away.  Broderick leaned against a table with legs crossed and pretended to smoke a cigarette after the spanking scene.  The crowd caught on and enjoyed watching Kelli trying to get back into the scene.  Very fun moment.  

After watching TKAI, I did wonder if Ken ever stepped on her dress.  Thanks for starting the thread!

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

VintageSnarker
#12King and I Mishaps?
Posted: 6/20/15 at 4:30pm

"But, OK. I fell down on the stage—it was a really beautiful, good fall down. And then Kelli followed me to the floor. It’s kind of like new choreography. Audience clapped, and I stand up, “Good, let me try again! I do better.”

Oh my God, that's adorable. 

purplehibiscus
#13King and I Mishaps?
Posted: 6/20/15 at 5:10pm

"Nothing during TKAI but during Nice Work Kelli got the giggles and had to turn away.  Broderick leaned against a table with legs crossed and pretended to smoke a cigarette after the spanking scene.  The crowd caught on and enjoyed watching Kelli trying to get back into the scene.  Very fun moment.  
After watching TKAI, I did wonder if Ken ever stepped on her dress.  Thanks for starting the thread!"

I don't remember where this interview was, but Kelli and Ken were talking about the dress and apparently he tripped on it once but then Kelli just knelt down as well to make it look natural! XD 

Videos