disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#75Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 7:59am

Gaaaah, why can't I be in NYC right now? D:

decast
#76Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 8:15am

One of the most fun nights I've had at the theatre for a long time. To see Ellen Greene in person was just a huge treat. Jake was fantastic, tho, given he was originally cast in the ITW film, I'm wasn't surprised he could sing. I though Taran Killam was great too.

There seems to be some audio floating around on tumblr for anyone who want to find it and have a listen.

neonlightsxo
#77Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 9:12am

It ran 2 hours, for anyone seeing it today. You're in for a treat.

brdway411
#78Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 10:17am

Going tonight, cannot wait. 

DivaBrigader Profile Photo
DivaBrigader
#79Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 10:31am

There are good shows, there are great shows, there are HISTORIC shows. This was probably the first time that I have sat in a theatre and suddenly had the thought that every single audience was going to remember they were in this room for the rest of their lives. Jake Gyllenhaal...who knew about this voice?!?! Sorry Hollywood, he is ours now! And Ellen Effing Greene. Never have I heard entrance applause go on for that long. Never have I heard exhilaration from a crowd like I did after "Suddenly Seymour." You could hear a pin drop at the intro of "Somewhere That's Green." There are legendary performances, and there are Legendary performances, and there are LEGENDARY performances. To watch her inhabit Audrey, to breathe her Audrey in, I can't. She is eternal. How is she 64, btw?!?! They didn't kiss in "Suddenly Seymour," which seemed to be the only age-difference concession.

As Jordan said, Ellen was the only one who stage doored. But she did so in full costume - wig, dress, scarf - and went off to a restaurant with her friends dressed like that right after. Bless. To meet her was everything. LEGEND. I will never forget this night at the theatre and I'm so glad I was able to schedule my flight to leave today so I could be in town for last night.

dave1606
#80Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 10:39am

I was there last night and found it such a joy. Greene is truly amazing (She absolutely must have been kept in a time capsule!). I was very worried about Jake, but in the end it was such perfect casting. He sounded great and was very charming on stage. I would love to see a version of this transfer for a limited run with both of them!

I thought the staging of the plant was very cute, and a lot of fun. Taran Killam was also great casting and brought lots of fun to his part. 

Everyone sounded amazing, and it really showcased what a joy this score is. I really hope it has a future life!

On a side note, I cannot believe how good this summer's Encores season has been. A New Brain was incredible and now this?? I don't think there is any better theater this summer. 

decast
#81Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 10:49am

"I was there last night and found it such a joy. Greene is truly amazing (She absolutely must have been kept in a time capsule!). I was very worried about Jake, but in the end it was such perfect casting. He sounded great and was very charming on stage. I would love to see a version of this transfer for a limited run with both of them!

I thought the staging of the plant was very cute, and a lot of fun. Taran Killam was also great casting and brought lots of fun to his part. 

Everyone sounded amazing, and it really showcased what a joy this score is. I really hope it has a future life!

On a side note, I cannot believe how good this summer's Encores season has been. A New Brain was incredible and now this?? I don't think there is any better theater this summer. 

"

And we still have Foster & Pasquale in Wild Party to come!

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#82Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 10:56am

This sounds like the epitome of perfection for Little Shop fans! Gutted by the fact that I can't be there.

smidge
#83Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 10:59am

Thanks to Jordan and Diva for the stage door info. I could only stay 45 minutes and Eddie Cooper was the only one who came out at that time. So jealous of anyone going back today. Not ashamed at all about crying during Somewhere That's Green. Miss Greene just took control and Suddenly Seymour... Gaaaaaaa

egnarotsew Profile Photo
egnarotsew
#84Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 11:10am

I've never clapped so much in my life and I started with the tears the moment the prologue started.  I still can't believe that I was able to experience last night.

I hope Ellen Greene returns to the stage soon!

Addison D. Profile Photo
Addison D.
#85Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 11:11am

Really an electric evening of theater.  I'll second all the enthusiastic comments already posted re: the performances and I'll just add that Eddie Cooper was wonderful as Audrey II, channeling Levi Stubbs and adding a nice physicality.   Taran Killan nailed all his many characters--the announcer,  Orrin Scrivello (DDS!!!!) and the various agents, editors and TV producers wonderfully.  If I have to quibble, I will say only that the gas "mask" made the last few minutes of Scrivello's swan song more or less unintelligible.

But--as alluded to by so many here already--it was Ellen Greene's night and Ellen Greene's audience.  It felt like the crowd wanted--as I did--to thank her for all the joy she's brought us all these years of listening to the album and watching the film. At every opportunity, she received rousing applause and a roar.

I would have been thrilled to see her in this role if she screeched like an owl, but to have her come out and give such an...incandescent...performance?   "Somewhere That's Green" was wonderful, but "Suddenly Seymour"?? Oh, my.  

At the curtain call, Greene and Gyllenhaal took their bows together--to enthusiastic applause and shouts from the crowd--and it appeared that Gyllenhaal wanted her to take her own bow and she refused.  Then they came out together and it looked like Jake had to force her hand out of his and he walked off stage, leaving her alone to accept the kind of roar that I can only imagine a performer must dream of.  

The best part was that she seemed authentically surprised and touched by the pandemonium.  Is it possible that she doesn't know what she means to us all?  She certainly will have a better idea by the end of this brief, magical run.

You think, what do you want? You think, make a decision...

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#86Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 11:21am

At the stage door she seemed honestly surprised at the reaction she received. 

I want to say this regarding the audiences reaction inside the theater. I've been almost dreading seeing this because I figured people would be screaming and hollering the entire time, as it's become (for some unknown reason) acceptable to just scream in the theater. But there was none of that last night. It was all just thunderous applause. That in itself was almost like a throwback to a time when THAT was the polite way to show your love/admiration/etc for a performer instead of screaming at them.

DivaBrigader Profile Photo
DivaBrigader
#87Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 11:22am

Somebody told Ellen at the stage door last night that the applause at the end of "Suddenly Seymour" was unlike anything they had witnessed before and she said it was loud, but she liked it because it fit her loud personality, LOL. She is a treasure. I just basically said thank you and that it was a dream come true. I was in the balcony so the goings-on of curtain call were a little difficult to pick up but she need some completely overwhelmed by the response.

neonlightsxo
#88Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 11:23am

"I will say only that the gas "mask" made the last few minutes of Scrivello's swan song more or less unintelligible."

Yeah, they didn't think that one through, did they?

Also, agree with Jordan re: the enthusiastic but respectful crowd.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#90Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 11:51am

If you watch this interview from 2013, Ellen expresses how much she wanted to do Audrey again so younger audiences can see it. 

You have to suffer through Paul Wontorek's fan-girlng, but Ellen is such a treasure. She starts to talk about it around the 10 minute mark.

Fingers crossed she gets to do a longer run on Broadway!!!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#91Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 12:01pm

I think, based on what Greene has said about the role, the show, and Howard Ashman, that the show and role means so much her that she forgets that there are, and have been, people who have been loving to watching her perform it for 30 years. The applause seems secondary to her own enjoyment of performing Audrey.

I got enormously lucky and was offered a ticket to tonight's performance. I cannot wait. Little Shop means a lot to me, and so does Ellen Greene.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 7/2/15 at 12:01 PM

bluetuna
#92Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 12:24pm

"Thanks to Jordan and Diva for the stage door info. I could only stay 45 minutes and Eddie Cooper was the only one who came out at that time. So jealous of anyone going back today. Not ashamed at all about crying during Somewhere That's Green. Miss Greene just took control and Suddenly Seymour... Gaaaaaaa

"

Because of the cast party, it took Ellen Greene about an hour and 45 minutes to come out. I had intended to leave much earlier, but once I'd put in a certain amount of time, I wanted a return on my investment. Someone spotted Jake Gyllenhaal leave from a different exit, and it seemed like some people were contemplating chasing him down. You know, because he clearly wanted to be dealing with fans, which is why he chose NOT to stage door...

neonlightsxo
#93Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 12:30pm

Before anyone has the chance to yell about Jake choosing not to stage door, let's all remember they have a matinee today.

Addison D. Profile Photo
Addison D.
#94Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 12:36pm

From Matthew Murray's review:

"Everything she does is unique. Sure, there are those delectably definitive line readings in that untraceable urban accent...But there's also an expert singer, whose now-rougher instrument nonetheless remains pure, and a daring interpreter; listen how she flips between chest and head voices in ways that don't initially jibe with Menken's tunes, but convey a pointedly scattered mindset that couldn't be more right for Audrey. ... And Greene's damsel-in-distress poses, guttural hip grinding, and Brechtian body contortions cry out that this is a woman who's more than the melodrama she inhabits: she's forever at war with who and what she can be."

You think, what do you want? You think, make a decision...

#95Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 12:40pm

The mask was identical to the one used in the original production...essentially an empty plastic fishbowl/diving helmet....maybe Killam let his diction slide vs. Luz's performance....(or my recollection of Luz's performance)....but if he didn't I would just chalk it up to the overall sound balance issues last night.

T'was a great night, though!!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#96Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 12:43pm

I think that's a fairly standard realization of Orin's gas mask, isn't it?

And, though I am loathe to agree with Matthew Murray, his rhapsodic review is pretty great:
"Hers is a singular creation, a stunningly luminous star turn that bucks the conventional wisdom that what we need in musicals today are supremely gifted, cookie-cutter technicians. Give me Greene's wonderfully real weirdness any day."

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#97Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 12:44pm

I agree that you couldn't understand him while wearing that. But this was in a 3000 seat theater as opposed to a 299 seat off broadway house.

neonlightsxo
#98Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 12:45pm

I would have assumed they would have done something extra to his mic, or added an additional mic inside, so that when he puts the fishbowl mask on, he didn't sound echo-y and miles away. But maybe that's how it was in the original production. I wouldn't know.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#99Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 12:48pm

Im not going to this, but I want to hear him sing!! Where are the videos at?

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY