pixeltracker

Hamilton or Fun Home? Which is more important? - Page 2

Hamilton or Fun Home? Which is more important?

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#25Hamilton or Fun Home? Which is more important?
Posted: 7/14/15 at 12:33pm

Baloney!

Everyone knows CATS is more important than any other musical before or since!

CATS: Now and Forever!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#26Hamilton or Fun Home? Which is more important?
Posted: 7/14/15 at 12:43pm

The one I like more.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

StageStar2468
#27Hamilton or Fun Home? Which is more important?
Posted: 7/14/15 at 1:14pm

"
In all seriousness, can we just say that they're both important? There's no need to compare two radically different shows..."

This is what I believe as well. They are both significant pieces inboard of expanding the form. They do so in their own way however.
Comparing these two specific shows to each other seems limited to me. I think there is a larger discussion to be had as to their influence on musical theater in general though.

StageStar, thanks for getting my humor and taking it in the spirit which it was meant.
You're a sweetheart. Hamilton or Fun Home? Which is more important?  "

Completely agree! I was just suggesting those two since they are the two currenrently running that people seems to be talking about. 

And of course! No need to get all up and arms over a BWW message board post :)

Margo319
HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#29Hamilton or Fun Home? Which is more important?
Posted: 7/14/15 at 1:31pm

Instead of making everything a competition, I think we should celebrate the fact that we have two wonderful, smart, inventive and intelligent shows in back-to-back seasons. I think these two shows give creatives a new benchmark and give audiences a heightened level of expectation for what the art form can do. How will these shows be viewed years from now? Who knows? We have no way of predicting how the subject matter significance will be viewed in the future and, like so many other "important" shows of the past, we don't know which will be relegated to historical artifacts and which will resonate universally. 

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#30Hamilton or Fun Home? Which is more important?
Posted: 7/14/15 at 3:09pm

Fun Home is more important. And for those of you making fun of Cats, that show is probably one of the most important shows in Broadway history considering how it really changed the game, and expanded the boundaries of musicals. But go ahead, have your fun. I know this wasnt Andrews first groundbreaking show, but I still think its important

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY
Updated On: 7/14/15 at 03:09 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#31Hamilton or Fun Home? Which is more important?
Posted: 7/14/15 at 3:12pm

Both of these shows are significant for different reasons.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#32Hamilton or Fun Home? Which is more important?
Posted: 7/14/15 at 3:14pm

Saw Fun.From what I have heard, I would  like Hamilton more. Fun was professional but it simply did not do it for me like it did for many. There is not one show that everyone loved nor will there ever be. It is all a matter of personal taste.

I know a number of people who were not, dare I say it, "blown away" by Fun Home. To those who love it, great. I am glad it moved you and that you enjoyed it.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 7/14/15 at 03:14 PM

Falling
#33Hamilton or Fun Home? Which is more important?
Posted: 7/14/15 at 3:42pm

Let's put aside PREFERENCES for a second-because the question here was about importance relative to musical theater history. We all have preferences and different shows strike a chord. That doesn't mean shows that don't aren't important. I am in the same camp as Kad-they are BOTH important for different reasons. It's like comparing apples and oranges, really-they are nothing alike except they are both musicals and both began their lives at the Public. The similarities end there.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#34Hamilton or Fun Home? Which is more important?
Posted: 7/14/15 at 4:07pm

I think it also depends on WHY each show is important to the individual making this personal decision. There's no clear answer because different people will give different answers and reasons for each. 

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

Consistency
#35Hamilton or Fun Home? Which is more important?
Posted: 7/14/15 at 5:01pm

"Fun Home is more important."

I love it - a simple and to-the-point declaration. Unfortunately for you, it's also an opinion entirely without weight or merit because you - by your own admission - haven't seen "Hammyton." 

Note: I haven't seen Hamilton either. That's why I'm withholding judgment. 

But since in another thread you've already declared two other unseen shows superior to another show you haven't seen, I guess it should be pretty clear that you're not all that interested in appearing informed or impartial. You've just got to weigh in on every issue and let people know that you have an opinion, no matter how ignorant.

I know, I know - it's, like, "just your opinion," right? Unfortunately, regardless of what all your elite friends may have told you, opinions based on ignorance aren't all that interesting or worthy of respect. 

Liza's Headband
#36Hamilton or Fun Home? Which is more important?
Posted: 7/14/15 at 5:05pm

Fun Home is more important. And for those of you making fun of Cats, that show is probably one of the most important shows in Broadway history considering how it really changed the game, and expanded the boundaries of musicals. But go ahead, have your fun. I know this wasnt Andrews first groundbreaking show, but I still think its important

Troll. 

Phillypinto
#37Hamilton or Fun Home? Which is more important?
Posted: 7/14/15 at 5:11pm

ok Liza

and yea I didn't see the shows, but i just know what I'm gonna like more based off of the music and synopsis :)

I will probably like Hammyton too idk

Liza's Headband
#38Hamilton or Fun Home? Which is more important?
Posted: 7/14/15 at 5:12pm

I would like for you to please stop using non-existent words when communicating through written form. Thanks. 

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#39Hamilton or Fun Home? Which is more important?
Posted: 7/14/15 at 5:19pm

"When Suzanne came out with an ACTUAL SUITCASE and carried it around with her it was clear this would be a level of brilliance rarely achieved in the theater. 
Her mash up of Take Back Your Mink with a terrifying monologue about how her abusive father shredded her prom dress (which she stitched back together in time for the dance!) was another moment seldom rivaled. "

Whizzer, I really hope somewhere somehow this got taped! 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

lunch
#40Hamilton or Fun Home? Which is more important?
Posted: 7/21/15 at 2:35pm

I don't know about relative "importance," but Fun Home is a much greater departure from the usual musical than is Hamilton.  

How, if at all, this effects the future of the genre cannot be predicted.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#41Hamilton or Fun Home? Which is more important?
Posted: 7/21/15 at 2:55pm

In what way do you think it is more of a departure. That strikes me as mind-boggling. Have you seen both? 

I am not a fan of ranking shows. I would rather just celebrate that we have both.

Phillypinto
#42Hamilton or Fun Home? Which is more important?
Posted: 7/21/15 at 3:50pm

I haven't seen Hamilton, but based on the synopsis, Hamilton is an easier sell. How many musicals do we have about american history? A musical about a lesbian and her closeted dad who kills himself? now THATS groundbreaking. Im sure Hamilton is groundbreaking in its own respect, but as far as the actual story, Fun Home is a much greater departure from the usual musical than is Hamilton.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#43Hamilton or Fun Home? Which is more important?
Posted: 7/21/15 at 4:24pm

I think if you focus on the bare bones story, you could say Fun Home is more of a departure. But if you consider (as I think you must) what the show DOES with that story, and HOW it does it, I don't see how you can. I'd also note that I don't think Fun Home is "about" what you say-that's just the chassis for a much more sophisticated play. But the way Hamilton unfolds with its 21st Century mosaic of a cast, and its contemporary, hip hop reliant score, and how that is used to convey its intention, is a far greater departure from what preceded it. Plot lines aside, Fun Home (which I love, don't get me wrong) acquits itself quite conventionally whereas Hamilton subverts (extensively and brilliantly).

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#44Hamilton or Fun Home? Which is more important?
Posted: 7/21/15 at 6:47pm

SillyPhilly-you really ARE 2 people-or split personality if your previous 2 messages are any indication.

There is hope for you if your last one is the new you.

Videos