BENT - Mark Taper Forum

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#25BENT - Mark Taper Forum
Posted: 7/21/15 at 2:04am

2 hours and 30 minutes including intermission. Everything is on their website. 

http://www.centertheatregroup.org/tickets/bent/

Updated On: 7/21/15 at 02:04 AM

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#26BENT - Mark Taper Forum
Posted: 7/21/15 at 7:53pm

When I was 15  I saw Ian Mckellan do the first production of this play in London in the 1970's.  It was the first time I saw Mr. Mckellan perform and he was extraordinary. It's hard to imagine now, but he was hot. The play left me shattered. I was openly weeping at the end of the show. I don't think I stopped until an hour after the show. I went back a couple days later, I had to see it again. I don't think any play before or since has left me with such a feeling. A couple years later I saw the Broadway version with Richard Gere and it wasn't nearly as good. David Dukes as the second lead was wonderful, but Richard Gere was dreadful. I'm glad the play is getting the first rate revival it deserves.

Updated On: 7/21/15 at 07:53 PM

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#27BENT - Mark Taper Forum
Posted: 7/21/15 at 8:25pm

I want this play to come to Broadway so badly. It looks soo good!!

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#28BENT - Mark Taper Forum
Posted: 7/22/15 at 11:16am

Just picked up a great seat for Saturday night, can't wait 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Wildcard
#29BENT - Mark Taper Forum
Posted: 7/22/15 at 12:34pm

I'll be there Saturday night too 

stargazer2 Profile Photo
stargazer2
#30BENT - Mark Taper Forum
Posted: 7/24/15 at 2:38am

Just booked a trip to L.A. because of all the raves.  Can't wait!  This will be my first time seeing a show at Mark Taper Forum.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#31BENT - Mark Taper Forum
Posted: 7/24/15 at 3:43am

It's a stunning production.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

BWNUT
#32BENT - Mark Taper Forum
Posted: 7/24/15 at 12:29pm

So worth it. Just Tom Berklund's appendage alone. ... BENT - Mark Taper Forum

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#33BENT - Mark Taper Forum
Posted: 7/25/15 at 3:05am

"Saw the original Broadway production with Richard Gere. Good play."

This is precisely how I felt about the Taper production: good play that was elevated by fantastic cast and production. I suppose I was most surprised by how this play shed such light on an area of World War II that wasn't previously explored at length. For that reason alone, the playwrite deserves kudos.

With that said, I wasn't really moved by the play overall. Yes, the aforementioned scenes created an emotional response, but nothing compared to other plays that have brought me to tears on similar topics. The ones that immediately come to mind being The Normal Heart and Next Fall.

The production though is quite impressive. I marveled at the simplicity and intimacy of it. I have gone to the Taper since I was 12 years old, and I am consistently impressed by what directors can do with the space: and Kaufman has done wonders. That said, it would be a hard sell for Broadway, overall, and even harder to find an appropriate theater. However, if Roundabout would take interest, it could certainly fit well in the Laura Peels space.

I didn't expect to find myself in Los Angeles this week, and I'm not here under the best of circumstances. With that said, I was glad to have enjoyed this night of impressive theater. I hope that this production finds a longer life outside of Los Angeles.

rosscoe(au)
#34BENT - Mark Taper Forum
Posted: 7/26/15 at 4:46am

It really is a stunning production, while the play it self has a couple of issues. The cast is superb, the revolution at the end of act one is truly shocking and disturbing, it sucked the air out of the theatre... It's with out a doubt a must see of a subject matter that really is a hard sell. If you are in LA see it.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#35BENT - Mark Taper Forum
Posted: 7/26/15 at 11:08am

I'm so happy to hear that good work is coming out of the Taper again. I feel like it's been in a bit of a slump. 

It is a bit jarring for me to read about solid revivals staged outside of NYC with posters insisting that the show "must transfer to New York." I'm simply glad that other parts of the country are getting to see good work. A New York transfer is not a sign of success or artistic achievement.

I know not all of you have those intentions. I just think it may need to be said. ??

Wildcard
#36BENT - Mark Taper Forum
Posted: 7/26/15 at 2:45pm

This production was spectacularly acted. I really cannot add more to what has been said about it. It's very powerful. Patrick Heusinger's silent scream was heart-breaking.

There were a few people who didn't return at intermission. It is a difficult subject matter to sit through (although it is one thing to leave if the performers are terrible, of which these actors were not, it's another to leave because the theme is too much to bear or against one's views; do people really not read even a little about what it is they are spending good money on?) The ending packed a wallop.

The actors faced the audience at curtain call and came out again with the continued applause and ovation. While you can tell they were appreciative, there were no smiles given what had just happened on stage. The same goes for the audience giving enthusiastic applause without any cheering. I had been trying to keep it together throughout the curtain call, and indeed even on the way to my car.

Also interesting to note there are two Spring Awakening Hanschens in the cast... Jonathan B Wright and Andy Mientus.

If I were to find fault in the production, it would be two things... Off-stage sound effects were so obviously recorded that they took me out of the moment. Same goes with the modern looking backdrop. The thrust revolve stage works well but the lit "fence" in the background likewise took me out of the setting. I wish they had kept the more oppressive barbed wires of the Dachau camps. It would have been more threatening.

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#37BENT - Mark Taper Forum
Posted: 7/27/15 at 10:14pm

Opening night was yesturday. Here is a mini trailer. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTO2dhSByxo

Updated On: 7/27/15 at 10:14 PM

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#38BENT - Mark Taper Forum
Posted: 7/28/15 at 12:04am

"Opening night was yesturday. Here is a mini trailer. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTO2dhSByxo"

Jose: please post reviews as they come in I'm very curious what LA I'm publications have to say about this production. 

rosscoe(au)
#39BENT - Mark Taper Forum
Posted: 7/28/15 at 8:24am

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/la-et-cm-bent-mark-taper-review-20150728-column.html#page=1

LA Times review, I would class it as a rave or very positive 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#40BENT - Mark Taper Forum
Posted: 7/28/15 at 8:41am

Saw the original Broadway production as well

Cannot see this musicalized as per the recent article re Elton John being involved. Than again if the Brits can do musicals of Mutiny On The Bounty & A Clockwork Orange, I guess anything is possible. Do not see it as a musical winner but a revival as a play is definitely  an interesting possibility..

Poster Emeritus

LarryD2
#41BENT - Mark Taper Forum
Posted: 7/28/15 at 9:27am

BENT is not being musicalized.

Jake Shears -- who stars in BENT -- is writing a musical with Elton John. But it is not a musical adaptation of the play.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#42BENT - Mark Taper Forum
Posted: 7/28/15 at 10:10am

UGHH!! Just my luck. My family was JUST talking about taking a trip to LA during the show's run. But i talked them out of it. Now i find out that the dreamy Tom Berklund is swinging his thing around and how powerful and moving this play is- Damn it!!

Darreyl with an L!

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#43BENT - Mark Taper Forum
Posted: 7/28/15 at 10:40am

Somebody message me details on Tom Berklund's ... "Performance Piece"

Darreyl with an L!

Wildcard
#44BENT - Mark Taper Forum
Posted: 7/28/15 at 12:56pm

How pathetic that given what this play is about, all some could care about is an actor's "performance piece." Wouldn't be surprised if he JO'd to Schindler's List too. 

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#45BENT - Mark Taper Forum
Posted: 7/28/15 at 1:48pm

Get your facts straight- I didn't just talk about that, I also said that i was hearing how powerful and moving the play was. The second post was for humor's sake. Get off your high horse. His piece is just an added incentive. SMH over the bitchyness of some people.

Darreyl with an L!

stargazer2 Profile Photo
stargazer2
#46BENT - Mark Taper Forum
Posted: 7/28/15 at 2:22pm

A friend told me it deserves a credit in the Playbill.  

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#47BENT - Mark Taper Forum
Posted: 7/28/15 at 2:36pm

^ HAHA! From what i've heard from people who've seen it- it seems so!

Darreyl with an L!

jbm2
#48BENT - Mark Taper Forum
Posted: 7/28/15 at 3:31pm

I have never seen the play and am so looking forward to it...Is there nudity in the play? If so, how much? It will just make a difference who I take with me. 

Wildcard
#49BENT - Mark Taper Forum
Posted: 7/28/15 at 3:54pm

The nudity is the least of your worries. There are scenes which would make you squirm more.