pixeltracker

Next for the Lyric Theatre- Page 3

Next for the Lyric Theatre

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#50Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 7/28/15 at 8:31pm

The show would have to recoup over $15mil in 7 weeks to break even, probably more like $20mil.

Spider-Man did $1,782,904 in its final week.

Garth's control over Livent and thus 213 W. 42nd Street ended in June 1998 while Ragtime was still running (and before Pinto learned to read and write). Since then, 9 shows have taken up residence at that address. Financial and securities records can confirm that Garth had zero to do with either the booking or production of any of those shows so unless one believes he practiced voodoo in prison, it is hard to imagine a rational basis for blaming him for the fortunes of those shows.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#51Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 7/28/15 at 9:31pm

he's the reason why those 2 theaters are connected

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#52Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 7/28/15 at 11:30pm

Good explanation, HH. It seems that people have been saying everything remotely near the theater, from the seats to pavement, are all the work of Garth Drabinsky for 15 years now. Drabinsky and his associations with Livent are long gone. I'm not dismissing what happened, but the man served his time and has to live with his choices. The success or failure of any show after 1998 is tied to a show. Not him.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#53Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 7/28/15 at 11:42pm

Pinto, it is true Garth created a theatre that has not served its purpose well, so it does tend to attract shows produced by stupid people. But it is a chicken or egg issue, and I don't think he can be blamed for the poor programming. Ironically, the one show he was responsible for in the space actually felt more "right" in the space than anything since. I think/hope that will change now that Sir Howard is at the helm. 

Phillypinto
#54Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 7/29/15 at 12:07am

lol Sir Howard also let On the Town in

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#55Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 7/29/15 at 12:08am

Who owns the Lyric? Why not option it out to tours/concerts? It's a nice venue, and could work for some artists who can't sell out a Madison Square Garden or Radio City. And it's in a great location. 

Phillypinto
#56Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 7/29/15 at 12:13am

the Ambassador theatre group owns it. They are west end people i think.

I just think they should undo what they did 18 years ago and split the theatre in half. 

That, or throw all the famous hollywood stars in there (Brad Cooper, Helen Mirren, Jim Parsons)

ivandixon2
#57Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 7/29/15 at 12:28am

Hogans....the show is completely built and without debt. It is not a musical and w/o a royalty. They're taking a different approach. By paying out 50% of the gross, they create a likely sellout scenario on a $2.0M weekly GP and do extra shows during three key weeks. They are happy to be left with $1.1M after paying the name talent. The weekly operating costs are less than OTT.

Phillypinto
#58Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 7/29/15 at 12:42am

can you tell us one of the leads pleaseeeee 

ivandixon2
#59Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 7/29/15 at 12:52am

Not until OTT announces a closing date. But I believe this will be the hottest ticket during the holiday season and genuinely a lot of goosebump fun for audiences.

Phillypinto
#60Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 7/29/15 at 1:10am

oooo i can't wait to see a christmas carolllll

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#61Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 7/29/15 at 1:17am

ivan, as i think i said before, I'll believe it when i see it. it sounds wrongheaded, if it is real (which i am disinclined to believe it is). It sounds more preposterous than On the Town which is the quintessential definition of preposterosity. The numbers don't work. It would be at best marginal, and that assumes being wildly successful over 7 frames not all of which are typically good ones. 

Pinto, to be fair, I don't think ATG had really sorted things out at the time. I do think we will be seeing alternate uses 

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#62Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 7/29/15 at 12:40pm

Philly, to be technical:

Ambassador Group is the operator of the theatre

New 42nd Street is the landlord

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#63Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 7/29/15 at 1:20pm

Whoever owns should gut it to the walls and build two separate theaters, a nice size suitable for musicals and a smaller for straight plays. Done right, they would be booked for decades.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#64Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 7/29/15 at 1:58pm

MayAudra,

since you are trying to be technical, New 42nd is technically the overlord, not the landlord. When a production enters into an agreement with the venue, New 42nd is not a party to that agreement, and has no say in what shows come in. ATG is the landlord of the production in all respects; it is not just an operator. 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#65Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 7/29/15 at 11:12pm

"What I do know:
On The Town will be closing sometime in September. 
It will be dark for a few weeks until a Holiday show moves in for a limited run. The holiday show is tentatively planning on loading in mid October. "

. On The Town is selling groups through April 2016. Will it last that long? Of course not. But there is currently no holiday tenant signed and waiting in the wings. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Updated On: 7/29/15 at 11:12 PM

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#66Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 7/30/15 at 12:24am

everythingtaboo, you're the ONLY person who is opposing this holiday show rumor. Do you have any info to back yourself up on?

I'm not doubting you, but even Amazing Grace is on-sale thru December and has Group Sales open thru early-2016. We all know that means nothing.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#67Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 7/30/15 at 9:45am

I do. But I'm not at liberty to say. But again, all I can say is that currently that is the status.

But I can also tell you I was the only one refuting the Beauty and the Beast holiday return 7-8 years ago, and see how that turned out. (And can I say Disney people thought that rumor was hilarious.)

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

ivandixon2
#68Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 7/30/15 at 11:25am

EverythingTaboo is correct. Currently, no holiday show is booked because there is a current tenant who has not announced a closing date. There is, however, a holiday show that is waiting for that to happen.

lightguy06222
#69Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 7/30/15 at 11:49am

KING KONG.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#70Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 7/30/15 at 12:08pm

"KING KONG."

No thank you.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#71Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 7/30/15 at 1:47pm

I just think the theater should operate much like the Beacon. I mean, if a theatrical show wants in, go for it, but why not book some concert gigs in the meantime? I'm sure American Idol Live would sell better on 42nd Street than up at the Beacon. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#72Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 7/30/15 at 2:59pm

Ripped,

A few considerations:

1. The Lyric is significantly (1/3) smaller than the Beacon. The economics of concerts is such that the difference  is pretty significant. 

2. ATG (unlike the Live Nation) has little if any experience booking the sort of engagements you are describing. Moreover it is inconceivable that ATG acquired the venue to do anything other than what it does in the UK. 

3. There is another concert venue, the Best Buy, slightly bigger than the Lyric, in Times Square. It has not been booked especially well.

4. It could be that the terms of the New 42nd lease requires theatrical performances. 

wssinsider
#73Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 7/30/15 at 5:52pm

Casting Breakdown is out for the new Cirque show opening in March 2016. 

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#74Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 7/30/15 at 7:01pm

Link? ^^