pixeltracker

WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread- Page 2

WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread

gmhots
#25WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard
Posted: 8/2/15 at 7:07pm

I'm here at the lobby, lots of anticipation. Posters for $10 each or $20 for 3 as they have 3 different colours, but I think they only sell a certain number per performance, approximately 25. Overheard someone saying that Sara won't be coming out tonight but we will see. I'll try to post pictures later.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#26WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard
Posted: 8/2/15 at 7:54pm

Saw in a local Boston magazine a sketch of the set design! Looks interesting. The band is on stage right in a compartment. They had someone at a microphone singing w/ the band. And stage left was the diner set up. 

A1st
#27WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard
Posted: 8/2/15 at 8:14pm

Here's the set model that Scott Pask posted:

WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard

Tom5
#28WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard
Posted: 8/2/15 at 8:30pm

It will all come down to the quality of the score and the book. Good luck to all concerned. This is one that deserves to be a success.

gmhots
#29WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard
Posted: 8/2/15 at 9:01pm

It is now intermission, and Sara is watching from the back row.

songs are a little rushed and words are very hard to hear, maybe it's the sound but Jessie can be difficult to understand sometimes (as is the rest of the ensemble.)

Will update more after the show. Set is rather basic with some rotating elements and tables on casters, etc. plot seems okay so far.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#30WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard
Posted: 8/2/15 at 10:21pm

gmhots, how is the score?? are the songs terrific?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

gmhots
#31WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard
Posted: 8/2/15 at 10:24pm

Just ended. Songs are... All very similar sounding. The whole score sounds almost the same. There are some memorable songs but I do wish there were more variety instead of a piano-led hard-hitting pop song repeated 12 times.

The book is pretty good. I can see where it needs to be tighter but there are definitely some moving moments towards the end of the second act and overall it was satisfying.

Finally, the acting was first-rate all around. Definitely the highlight. Some good chemistry between the leads and Jessie was great as usual. Not many costume changes and the set was more basic than what I expected with Scott Pask. You can tell it was a little rough since I could see the stage hands during every single scene change moving stuff around, and things were dropping everywhere lol.

Overall I enjoyed it, but it needs to have more visual spectacle and more cohesive ensemble work for it to truly make an impact on Broadway. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#32WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard
Posted: 8/2/15 at 10:29pm

Thanks for the report. Are you familiar with Sara Bareilles' solo work? It's definitely usually piano-driven pop (which I love).

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

grayarea
#33WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard
Posted: 8/3/15 at 12:12am

Just got back from the show.

I agree with the response above, the performances were top-notch. The 3 ladies (Jessie, Keala & Jeanna) played off each other great and the guys were a surprise as well. Jessie really stood out, as expected, and she played and sang the part beautifully.

I thought the book was a good mix of light-hearted, comedic moments and more serious parts. It was good but could be cut down a bit. I preferred how the first act played out, the 2nd seemed kind of rushed to me but had some highlights.

The score was definitely in Bareilles' pop style. And yes, very piano driven and quite catchy. There was only a six-piece band that played from the stage. I thought the best songs were the two she had already performed in public. I also liked how some of the songs had the ensemble join the band by clapping along (I know Sara likes doing this at her shows so I guess she incorporated that into the score). Not sure if it was my seat (I was in the back) but some lyrics were kind of hard to understand, esp. earlier on.

Overall, I enjoyed it although I'm not sure how this will fare in larger Broadway houses. Seems like the type of show that should be in a more intimate setting.

Updated On: 8/3/15 at 12:12 AM

h6p8gv
#34WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard
Posted: 8/3/15 at 12:23am

Any song list

Updated On: 8/3/15 at 12:23 AM

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#35WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard
Posted: 8/3/15 at 12:46am

I was there tonight as well and I really enjoyed it. I loved the score. Top notch performances all around. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

gmhots
#36WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard
Posted: 8/3/15 at 1:21am

Song list posted on my friend's Twitter account @thisisvanessa.

i totally understand and love Sara's music! I liked a lot of it, but my chief complaint was that the entire show was made up of practically the same type of song without any aural break. There were maybe 2 real ballads that were slower, but little dimension otherwise.

Also there's a great scene where SPOILER

They smash a guitar... Every night. Loved the acting. It was well-cast all around. Also everyone came out within 30 minutes for the stage door, although Sara ran off and did not sign and Diane only came out about an hour later.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#37WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard
Posted: 8/3/15 at 1:24am

How does it compare to the movie?

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#38WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard
Posted: 8/3/15 at 4:47am

ACT I:
What’s Inside
Opening Up
The Negative
Door Number Three
Waiting Room
When He Sees Me
It Only Takes a Taste
A Soft Place to Land
You Will Still Be Mine
Never Getting Rid of Me
Bad Idea

ACT II:
Bad Idea (Reprise)
I Love You Like a Table
I Didn’t Plan It
She Used to Be Mine
Take it from an Old Man
You Matter to Me
Everything Changes
Lulu’s Pie Song
Opening Up (Reprise)

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#39WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard
Posted: 8/3/15 at 4:48am

WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#40WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard
Posted: 8/3/15 at 6:43am

Doesn't sound very exciting, when a TONY winner's performance is described "great as usual", I get worried.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#41WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard
Posted: 8/3/15 at 7:36am

How are the pies visually and/or musically incorporated into the musical?

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

ClumsyDude15
#42WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard
Posted: 8/3/15 at 10:17am

Whizzer - There's an interlude in which a voice sings "Sugar, Butter, Flour" and that occurred many times. With the pies she made, Jenna would sort of go into an aside and describe them. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

ClumsyDude15
#43WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard
Posted: 8/3/15 at 10:27am

Not to double post, but Jessie's performance was wonderful last night - warm, vulnerable, and very strong. The whole first preview was very strong sans the sound being pretty terrible, but that will be worked out. The score is sweet and hummable, and Sara Bareilles has definitely taken to the composing of a musical very well. 

The trio of ladies were completely wonderful - each one bringing something different to the table. Jeanna and Keala carve out their own niches as supporting characters, but in the best sense of the word. Drew Gehling, Eric Anderson, and Jeremy Morse are sweet filling to the romantic pie that is baking. Also, shout out Dakin Matthews playing the crusty yet semi-sweet old man figure in Jenna's life. 

The show is in wonderful shape for a first preview and I'm sure cuts and nips will be made, but it's shaping up to be a pretty sweet pie. 

WhizzerMarvin
#44WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard
Posted: 8/3/15 at 10:53am

Has Paulus created any interesting visual pictures or images relating to the pies? Seeing all the ingredients getting put into the pie crusts and then baked was such a fun part of the movie so I guess I'm wondering if Paulus was able to come up with an equally exciting way to visually represent that on stage...

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#45WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard
Posted: 8/3/15 at 11:43am

There are a couple of instances where she does actually mix up the pies on stage. Other than that, no. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

gmhots
#46WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard
Posted: 8/3/15 at 12:16pm

Jessie does put some real ingredients in bowls, etc – eggs, flour, strawberry puree and rolls out dough and puts the filling in in one scene. However, there are no projections etc. so you won't be able to see much unless you're sitting up close. She usually does that when narrating or singing. In other scenes especially multi-character scenes the "ingredients" are fake and they just mime putting ingredients in bowls.

Also, throughout the show there are various prop pies of different flavors and they are different-looking as well.

On the right of the set above the kitchen pass-through in the diner there are funny names of all the pies listed in the menu; that's pretty cute.

WhizzerMarvin
#47WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard
Posted: 8/3/15 at 12:53pm

Thanks for the answers. I figured there would be some scenes of Jessie standing there making pies, whether pantomiming or using real ingredients. I'm gladly they didn't use lazy projections to show the ingredients mixing and and the pies baking. I guess I was just hoping Paulus would find an interesting theatrical way to bring the pie making to life. 

I'm still looking forward to seeing this in a few weeks.

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#48WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard
Posted: 8/3/15 at 12:59pm

I heard Paulus wanted to make the pies with circus acrobats.   

Back Row
#49WAITRESS at A.R.T. Thread not Theard
Posted: 8/3/15 at 1:06pm

I'm going to see this on Sunday. I don't know what kind of "theatrical tricks" can be used to show something like baking a pie, but it seems like they should not try to limit themselves to just visual effects. When I saw David Cromer's production of Our Town, he was able to create a powerful effect by simply frying a slice of bacon in one scene. The sense of smell can tell a story, too.