pixeltracker

Greatest Cast Recording(s) Ever?- Page 3

Greatest Cast Recording(s) Ever?

¿Macavity?
#50Greatest Cast Recording(s) Ever?
Posted: 8/7/16 at 8:25pm

I love how the OP insisted that we narrow it down to "1-2" and you guys are listing...

My vote is Sweeney Todd (OBC), or (because we're allowed 1-2!) is Matilda (OBC Deluxe Edition), but there are many wonderful options. My opinion may change soon.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#51Greatest Cast Recording(s) Ever?
Posted: 8/8/16 at 12:13am

Whoever wrote the revival recording of INTO THE WOODS must be stoned. With the exception of Benanti & some of Williams's tracks, the recording is an embarrassment. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

ANewBrainn Profile Photo
ANewBrainn
#52Greatest Cast Recording(s) Ever?
Posted: 8/8/16 at 12:24am

A New Brain (Original one)

In Trousers

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#53Greatest Cast Recording(s) Ever?
Posted: 8/8/16 at 12:56am

IdinaBellFoster said: "Whoever wrote the revival recording of INTO THE WOODS must be stoned. With the exception of Benanti & some of Williams's tracks, the recording is an embarrassment. 

"

I'm always soooo disappointed by that recording.  Benanti is fantastic and I always get so into her On The Step of The Palace and then, for some unnecessary reason, Jack and Little Red join in and ruin it for me.  I don't even like Vanessa Williams on it.  I find her "Witch voice" annoying as hell and her vocal performance is nowhere near the quality of Bernadette's.

I know that this isn't a popular opinion, but I actually very much so enjoy the Original London Cast Recording of Into the Woods.  Julia Mckenzie is wonderful with her seductive and dark voice is wonderful for the Witch (I loooove those rolled r's).  As much as I absolutely love Joanna Gleason, Imelda Staunton is 100% my favorite Baker's Wife.  Her Moments in the Woods is phenomenal.

Chowd95 Profile Photo
Chowd95
#54Greatest Cast Recording(s) Ever?
Posted: 8/22/16 at 5:46am

icecreambenjamin said: "IdinaBellFoster said: "Whoever wrote the revival recording of INTO THE WOODS must be stoned. With the exception of Benanti & some of Williams's tracks, the recording is an embarrassment. 

"

I'm always soooo disappointed by that recording.  Benanti is fantastic and I always get so into her On The Step of The Palace and then, for some unnecessary reason, Jack and Little Red join in and ruin it for me.  I don't even like Vanessa Williams on it.  I find her "Witch voice" annoying as hell and her vocal performance is nowhere near the quality of Bernadette's.

I know that this isn't a popular opinion, but I actually very much so enjoy the Original London Cast Recording of Into the Woods.  Julia Mckenzie is wonderful with her seductive and dark voice is wonderful for the Witch (I loooove those rolled r's).  As much as I absolutely love Joanna Gleason, Imelda Staunton is 100% my favorite Baker's Wife.  Her Moments in the Woods is phenomenal.

I love the addition of "Our Little World" on the London recording.  It's funny, beautiful and also deepens Rapunzel and The Witch's story.

"

bdboston
#55Greatest Cast Recording(s) Ever?
Posted: 8/22/16 at 6:17am

US:

The Light in the Piazza, Follies (revival cast)

Foreign:

Sunset Blvd. (German cast w. Helen Schneider), Titanic (Dutch cast)

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#56Greatest Cast Recording(s) Ever?
Posted: 8/22/16 at 4:31pm

gypsy101 said: "Probably the best recording ever made (in my opinion) is the original Gypsy. It really never gets old.

"

WHat do you think of the original compared to the reissue that's been used from the late 90s on?  Sheperd talks in the liner notes about using different takes, etc, when he remastered it but has since--at least on facebook--said that maybe he shouldn't have meddled with perhaps the classic cast album from his mentor Lieberson (I personally like the changes).

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#57Greatest Cast Recording(s) Ever?
Posted: 8/22/16 at 4:51pm

you know, I actually appreciated the changes and restorations. that incorrect note on Rose's Turn always bugged the crap out of me although I did think using a different vocal take for Merman on that one was pretty brave (but no matter what the lady does, it's fantastic). I thought his reasonings in the liner notes were very reasonable and both of the albums are great. I have the original on vinyl from way back in the 50's (a friend found it at a garage sale and knew i would die) but I truly don't mind any of the changes made.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

mmFan Profile Photo
mmFan
#58Greatest Cast Recording(s) Ever?
Posted: 8/22/16 at 7:05pm

Wicked

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#59Greatest Cast Recording(s) Ever?
Posted: 8/22/16 at 9:02pm

I think that the Goddard Lieberson cast albums for Columbia are the best-sounding; extremely lush and detailed. I think that his protege, Thomas Z. Shepard took it to another level by including dialogue, too, in many of the albums he produced for RCA...

I've heard that Lieberson was dead set against including snippets of dialogue in his recordings.

Updated On: 8/22/16 at 09:02 PM

broadwayboy223
#60Greatest Cast Recording(s) Ever?
Posted: 8/22/16 at 9:16pm

icecreambenjamin said: "IdinaBellFoster said: "Whoever wrote the revival recording of INTO THE WOODS must be stoned. With the exception of Benanti & some of Williams's tracks, the recording is an embarrassment. 

"

"

I LOVE that album. Julia is amazeballs and I wish a bootleg existed so I could see her full performance 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#61Greatest Cast Recording(s) Ever?
Posted: 8/22/16 at 9:25pm

Purlie

Annie

Sweeney Todd

RENT

Caroline or Change

Company (obcr)

Company (revival)

A Chorus Line (obcr)

Just give the world Love.

jessepp Profile Photo
jessepp
#62Greatest Cast Recording(s) Ever?
Posted: 8/22/16 at 9:55pm

Hair (OBC)

Picture it. Central Illinois. 1986. I was 10 and going through my mom's old records, saw the cover of HAIR and put it on out of curiosity.  She heard the bass line and ran into the living room. We listened, sang and danced around for 45 magical defining minutes of my life. Thanks for being cool as hell, mom.   

...is a puzzlement.