pixeltracker

Elsie Fest: Musical Theater Coachella?- Page 3

Elsie Fest: Musical Theater Coachella?

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#50Elsie Fest: Musical Theater Coachella?
Posted: 9/28/15 at 1:24pm

I was more than a little disappointed in its execution from an event management standpoint. The massive VIP seating section - largely empty even an hour into the show (hopefully it filled up??) - was at least 20 yards deep so general admission was so far back. I was in the 3rd row of GA and it was a running joke about being too short, etc. I get that it was GA, but eesh.

skies Profile Photo
skies
#51Elsie Fest: Musical Theater Coachella?
Posted: 9/28/15 at 1:32pm

ChildofEarth said: "I wish Laura or Aaron would have taken a page out of Darren & Leslie's books and tried to change up the songs. I personally thought Darren doing harder versions of the songs or acoustic versions made it more fun."

I doubt the fans of Laura or Aaron were disappointed they put their great BW voices to use with showtunes.  I"m sure the "Starkids" gave their fans all the pop music they wanted, whereas BW fans don't need the songs changed or tweaked to have a good or fun time.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren
Updated On: 9/28/15 at 01:32 PM

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#52Elsie Fest: Musical Theater Coachella?
Posted: 9/28/15 at 2:36pm

Anyone care to give a set-list?

laugard
#53Elsie Fest: Musical Theater Coachella?
Posted: 9/28/15 at 2:56pm

I missed the earlier performances, but here are the later setlists:

Laura Osnes

How "Bout a Dance - Bonnie and Clyde

When Will My Life Begin - Tangled

Part of Your World - Little Mermaid

Hopelessly Devoted to You - Grease

I Will Never Let you Know - Nashville

Cinderella Medley 

Falling Slowly (duet with Aaron Tveit) - Once

The Bandstand preview

Aaron Tveit

I'm Alive - Next to Normal

Young Girls - Bruno Mars

I've Been - Next to Normal / Tom Kitt Band original version

Billie Jean (bluesy version) - Michael Jackson

Why God Why - Miss Saigon

As Long As You're Mine (duet with Laura Osnes) - Wicked

Boyfriend intro / We Are Never Getting Back Together - Justin Bieber / Taylor Swift

Fix You - Coldplay

Goodbye - Catch Me If You Can

Leslie Odom Jr.

The Room Where It Happens - Hamilton

Cry For Me - Jersey Boys

Walk Like A Man - Jersey Boys

The Guilty Ones - Spring Awakening

Good For You - Selena Gomez

Cheer Up Charlie - Willy Wonka

What You Own (duet with Aaron Tveit) - Rent

Darren Criss

I'll Make a Man Out of You - Mulan

One Fine Day - Carole King

Animal (ft. Tyler Glenn of Neon Trees) - Neon Trees

This Time - Darren Criss

The Long Grift - Hedwig

Brotherhood of Man - How to Succeed

I Dreamed a Dream - Les Mis

Beauty and the Beast (ft. A Great Big World) - Beauty and the Beast

Not Alone - Darren Criss

Teenage Dream - Kathy Perry

Back to Hogwarts (ft. Starkid) - A Very Potter Musical

Cabaret (punk version) - Cabaret

Updated On: 9/28/15 at 02:56 PM

VintageSnarker
#54Elsie Fest: Musical Theater Coachella?
Posted: 9/28/15 at 2:57pm

Just curious. Can anyone talk about what Seth did or link to a video? 

I've been to a concert at Pier 97 once before. I unintentionally skipped the opener because of some confusion about the actual start time so I only stood through two sets. I think the issue with no outside food or re-entry is that this was an all day event for some people.

laugard
#55Elsie Fest: Musical Theater Coachella?
Posted: 9/28/15 at 3:00pm

edited to add to post above

Updated On: 9/28/15 at 03:00 PM

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#56Elsie Fest: Musical Theater Coachella?
Posted: 9/28/15 at 3:38pm

Is there video or audio of Leslie Odom, Jr. singing Cheer Up, Charlie, because that is weirdly a thing I need in my life right now.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

HedwigInch
#57Elsie Fest: Musical Theater Coachella?
Posted: 9/28/15 at 3:46pm

I saw tons of Periscope videos and the VIP section always seemed full to me. In earlier sets I maybe saw like 5 or so empty seats but that was it. My friends who were in the first row of the GA section also said it was very full. 

Jordon Roth always showed the crowd after a song so you could see the whole VIP section and parts of the GA crowd.

Phan2
#58Elsie Fest: Musical Theater Coachella?
Posted: 9/28/15 at 5:18pm

givesmevoice said: "Is there video or audio of Leslie Odom, Jr. singing Cheer Up, Charlie, because that is weirdly a thing I need in my life right now.

https://soundcloud.com/sydneynicole96/cheer-up-charlie-leslie-odom 

By the way, Leslie's voice on Cheer Up Charlie, so beautiful, so emotional.   Just love how he sings this song!

Someone has an audio or video of Leslie singing The Room Where it Happens (Hamilton)?

Does anyone know the set list for Lea?  Also, does anyone know if I could buy some T-shirts online somewhere?  Couldn't go to the concert, but would love some of the T-shirts.  I saw ChildofEarth mention Aaron's t-shirts, did Lea have one too? 

Updated On: 9/28/15 at 05:18 PM

AppleSunday
#59Elsie Fest: Musical Theater Coachella?
Posted: 9/28/15 at 5:49pm

Off the top of my head Lea's set was: Les Mis medley, Reflection, A Whole New World (feat. Darren Criss), I'd Give My Life for You, a song from Allegiance the name is escaping me at the moment. And I might be forgetting one. She kept trying to get people to sing along but no one was able to keep it up for more than a minute before they just stopped to listen to her. 

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#60Elsie Fest: Musical Theater Coachella?
Posted: 9/28/15 at 6:14pm

I'm sure there will be extra t-shirts, so I'm guessing it is a waiting game to see where they will pop up. There was a Lea shirt, but I'm blanking on what the specifics were.

The VIP section was full on and off all day. There was an entire section of seats (I'll say 20 or so) that they kept empty but put people in who needed medical help or who looked to be having problems standing. That was SMART in my opinion.

Listening to Leslie again and I just have to say that he's an absolute star. Charisma, style, and talent to back it all up. I am stunned.

grayarea
#61Elsie Fest: Musical Theater Coachella?
Posted: 9/28/15 at 7:37pm

Lea Salonga Set-List

- Les Mis mash-up (IDAD/OMO)

- Reflection from Mulan

- Still Hurting from L5Y

- I'd Give My Life For You from Saigon

- A Whole New World with Darren Criss

- Higher from Allegiance

ChiTheaterFan
#62Elsie Fest: Musical Theater Coachella?
Posted: 9/28/15 at 8:37pm

givesmevoice said: "Is there video or audio of Leslie Odom, Jr. singing Cheer Up, Charlie, because that is weirdly a thing I need in my life right now."

Aside from the link above, this song is on his album. If you like him singing cheer up Charlie, the whole album is something you need in your life right now. 

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#63Elsie Fest: Musical Theater Coachella?
Posted: 9/28/15 at 10:39pm

Thank you, Laugaurd! I was in L.A this weekend and really wanted to see this!!  

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#64Elsie Fest: Musical Theater Coachella?
Posted: 9/28/15 at 10:49pm

I was tempted to go but was outraged by the $275 price tag.  Did yesterday break even/profit enough for a second Elsie Fest?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#65Elsie Fest: Musical Theater Coachella?
Posted: 9/28/15 at 10:53pm

jsg03jd said: "I was tempted to go but was outraged by the $275 price tag."

GA was $60 and it was $30 on Goldstar...

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#66Elsie Fest: Musical Theater Coachella?
Posted: 9/28/15 at 11:17pm

Oh, ok.  When I looked for the tickets when I first learned about this and Lea Salonga's participation, I saw the $275 and didn't really pay attention to the other sections.  I was too taken aback by the top price.

AppleSunday
#67Elsie Fest: Musical Theater Coachella?
Posted: 9/29/15 at 12:00am

$275 is a lot, but I heard a few people in GA talking about how they wished they had gone for it, and even more people talking about definitely doing it the next time around. It's also worth noting that it seems like some people who bought the VIP also bought multiple meet and great packages so there are those who willingly dropped at least $675 for their ideal Elsie expectance. 

Phan2
#68Elsie Fest: Musical Theater Coachella?
Posted: 9/29/15 at 3:17am

Thanks for all the reviews of those who went.  I watched some videos and some audios, and really enjoyed it! 

I would have it on a different day than Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS Flea Market, since the times of the two events overlapped enough that it meant some people missed the first act  or two of the festival, plus there is the issue of carrying around your stuff from the Flea Market to the festival. 

Lea sounded unbelievable, from what I heard.   Her voice is that rare combination of emotion, tone, control, and range.    Glad she sang one of the songs from  Allegiance.  Thanks AppleSunday, ChildofEarth, and grayarea for your answers.   ChiTheaterFan, I will look up Leslie’s album!

I think Lea, Leslie, Laura, Aaron, and Darren did a great job, based on the videos and the audios.    This is the kind of thing that I find to be innovative, because it covers music and  performers from different genres:   musical theater, pop, and a little punk music too.   In  terms of  different music genres, Aaron  did a good amount of mixing pop songs (Boyfriend,  Fix You, Billie Jean) with musical theater songs, which I found cool, and Leslie did one of Selena Gomez’s songs, along with The Room Where It Happens from Hamilton, and songs from Jersey Boys, Spring Awakening, Willy Wonka.  The younger crowd of Broadway fans, based on what I saw in the videos, seemed to be eating up this mixture of musical theater and  pop songs

So this is my first time seeing Darren sing outside of Hedwig.   If there are any suggestions I would have about Darren as a performer, and I say this with respect, because I really do respect his creativity and talent, it would be to be careful to not drop out of the tone of a song sometimes (such as when he becomes overly zealous), and to continue to work on strengthening his vocal control (since his voice isn’t as trained as the other  Broadway performers in this line up).   But overall, I really liked his performances here.   I liked Darren’s interesting performance of some Broadway songs, like the punk version of Cabaret and the acoustic version of I Dreamed a Dream.    While watching the videos, his performances captured my attention because I found them to be creative, as well as finding his voice unique and interesting.   I can feel the emotion in his voice, and that is really important to me.    There is just something very fun and interesting about him as a performer. 

My thoughts are that it was an impressive achievement that he brought together this great group of performers in this music festival, that was an inventive mix of Broadway tunes and  pop/punk music.   It looked  like so much fun, so good for him and everyone who went!    I hope he and Jordan decide to do this again next year. 

Updated On: 9/29/15 at 03:17 AM