pixeltracker

Hedwig tour set for early October 2016- Page 6

Hedwig tour set for early October 2016

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#125Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/10/16 at 10:07pm

But Taye is, well, HOT. Not gonna lie, I enjoyed Midnight Radio way too much with Taye and Michael because of just how attractive they both are. Darren... not so much.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Jamie Pierce Profile Photo
Jamie Pierce
#126Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/27/16 at 11:17am

I'm hearing Jake Shears...

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#127Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/27/16 at 11:44am

Jack Shears would be phenomenal casting!

Broadway World's Fireman.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#128Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/27/16 at 11:46am

Do you think it's possible that the role might switch in certain stops? I would not be surprised for Neil to do LA. 

And i I agree that I prefer slighter actors in the role. It's like only one body type is allowed to perform anymore.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#129Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 3/27/16 at 12:56pm

Aesthetically, Shears seems like he would be very interesting in the role. But his name doesn't seem as close to big enough for this tour as I would expect at all.

A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
#130Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 8/29/16 at 3:46pm

When I saw that there was a video from Darren Criss urging peeps to come see his shows in San Francisco, it made me wonder if sales aren't doing well.  Being curious I went online to see what availability there was and was super surprised to see so many seats still up for grabs.  It looks like the lower orch is pretty much sold out but upper orch, mezz and balcony look wide open for most nights.  Also surprised that Lena isn't drawing as big a crowd as I'd assumed she would.

So is this normal for SHN shows?  I'm not from the city so I'm not familiar.  I feel sad to think that they might be playing to a 1/2 empty theatre.  I guess they can lower ticket prices and whatever else is in their hat to bring in the people.  

I wonder what their expectation was in terms of ticket sales.  Obviously everyone wants a sell out, but perhaps with this show, never expected? IDK - thoughts?? And is the tour in danger with low sales, if indeed this is considered low?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#131Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 8/29/16 at 3:52pm

A half-empty Golden Gate Theatre is a sold-out Belasco...

Green_Flash
#132Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 8/29/16 at 4:11pm

Yeah...that theater is big.  Plus, the first performance is still a month away.  Most single ticket buyers wait until a week or two before.  I'm sure they'll be pretty full.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#133Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 8/29/16 at 4:16pm

The Golden Gate holds 2,297. While the show might've worked better space-wise at the Geary, I agree that people might just start buying last-minute, and I'd expect a fairly decent lotto turnout, too.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#134Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 8/29/16 at 4:19pm

Would have been perfect for the Curran, but SHN no longer owns that space.

A Canadian in NYC
#135Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 8/29/16 at 4:36pm

haterobics said: "A half-empty Golden Gate Theatre is a sold-out Belasco...

For sure!  I just feel for the actors.  But agree - there's still lots of time left to sell those tickets.  I'm actually doing a double header - seeing Darren in the afternoon and Lena at night.  It will be Lena's first performance as Hedwig - super excited for it! 

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#136Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 8/29/16 at 8:55pm

Also surprised that Lena isn't drawing as big a crowd as I'd assumed she would.

I wonder what their expectation was in terms of ticket sales.  Obviously everyone wants a sell out, but perhaps with this show, never expected? IDK - thoughts?? And is the tour in danger with low sales, if indeed this is considered low?

"

I just don't see Lena Hall as a big draw.  I think she has an incredible voice, but do people in California even know who she is?

LizzieCurry
#137Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 8/29/16 at 10:15pm

I just don't see Lena Hall as a big draw.  I think she has an incredible voice, but do people in California even know who she is?

Wow. It's not like California is some theatrical desert. She's a San Francisco native, like Darren Criss. (SF proper, none of these SF suburbs like where I'm from!) Sure, she's not a huge name, but theatre people there know who she is.

Terracentric
#138Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 8/30/16 at 1:50am

Hi, theater newbie from San Francisco here. I've seen my share of musicals on tour but not familiar with the who's who of theater. I'm very excited that Hedwig is coming to SF with same actors and musicians from Broadway. What a RARE treat! I'm seeing the first show on Oct. 2 in orch center, row K (yay!). I hope the show is a success here.

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#139Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 8/30/16 at 8:42pm

LizzieCurry said: "I just don't see Lena Hall as a big draw.  I think she has an incredible voice, but do people in California even know who she is?

Wow. It's not like California is some theatrical desert. She's a San Francisco native, like Darren Criss. (SF proper, none of these SF suburbs like where I'm from!) Sure, she's not a huge name, but theatre people there know who she is.

"

I was sincerely asking a question.  I know nothing about the San Francisco theatre scene.  No reason to take offense.  Honestly, I don't see Darren Criss as much of a draw either, but I'm old.  It has been suggested in this thread (I think) that Lena Hall may go on tour as Hedwig and I just don't think she would be the best choice.  

broadwaysfguy
#140Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 8/30/16 at 9:05pm

the golden gate is huge and in a horrible block of the tenderloin, so if you are going i recommend uber or coming up from bart on market street. 

Im an shn season ticket holder and im pretty confident the SF theatre crowd will turnout for Hedwig with Darren and Lena. 

Will the run or most shows sell out...probably no given the size of the theatre and that hedwig is not your typical musical by any stretch....(love NPH's turn in the role on broadway).  Im personally not as excited to see it after seeing Neil on broadway, but will go anyway since we have limited options to see professional shows here.

Sales have been very strong for Beautiful (still here at orpheum) and were much less so for Cabaret which came through last month.

I think Fun Home, which comes to Carol Shorensteins Curran in January will do extremely well, although this will be the first major show she is promoting since leaving SHN....

A Canadian in NYC
#141Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 8/30/16 at 10:47pm

broadwaysfguy said: "the golden gate is huge and in a horrible block of the tenderloin, so if you are going i recommend uber or coming up from bart on market street. 

Thank you for this tip. I didn't know. 

LizzieCurry
#142Hedwig tour set for early October 2016
Posted: 8/30/16 at 10:48pm

It's also not as close to a BART station as either the Orpheum or the Curran. If it's looking really bad, you can power-walk from the Civic Center or Powell St. stations, or take the F Market streetcar from anywhere on Market to the Golden Gate.

Updated On: 8/30/16 at 10:48 PM