#25Rent 2015
Posted: 8/25/15 at 3:05pm

VintageSnarker said: "It's pretty much click bait, right?"

Totally.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#26Rent 2015
Posted: 8/25/15 at 3:10pm

I know that it technically is a "return to New York," but is that really worthy of news?

Have you ever read theatre news articles before?  Nobody but the publisher decides what is worthy of news.  The rest is all purely subjective.

The issue is that the headline is deliberately vague or sensational to create an impression that gets you to click on a story that you probably wouldn't have and generate more ad revenue or whatever.

In other words, it is a news headline.  Serving the same function as it did in the days of Pulitzer and Hearst.

Who or what are you satirizing, Matt??

Search "Immersive Evita".  It's a GAS.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#27Rent 2015
Posted: 8/25/15 at 3:24pm

Is the 20th anniversary national tour going to be a new production or staged by the original creative team? Now I'm confused.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#28Rent 2015
Posted: 8/25/15 at 4:47pm

JoseLee just said there will be a 20th Anniversary tour.  That was the only mention of any tour at all.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#29Rent 2015
Posted: 8/25/15 at 4:54pm

Never mind. It says on the website that Michael Greif is directing the tour. Now the only question is whether it will be his original staging or his more recent Off-Broadway one.

http://www.thebookinggroup.com/rent/

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#30Rent 2015
Posted: 8/25/15 at 8:24pm

What else do we anticipate as far as 20th anniversary celebrations? Certainly the Tonys will feature something right? Lord knows Wicked got one, and only after 10

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#31Rent 2015
Posted: 8/25/15 at 8:29pm

Well, Wicked paid for one, since they are still open and selling tickets... without a production, who knows what might happen.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#32Rent 2015
Posted: 8/25/15 at 9:30pm

This is laughable.

Updated On: 8/25/15 at 09:30 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#33Rent 2015
Posted: 8/25/15 at 10:44pm

now the Harbor Lights theater company has jumped on the bandwagon for this. They've attached themselves to the 20th anniversary title and are battling with the other theater company: http://maxthetrax.com/2015/08/25/battle-brews-over-dueling-nyc-rent-prods/

Harbor Lights, a professional theater that hires both equity & non-equity performers in Staten Island, claims that their production will be better as they're a professional theater company.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

tourboi
#34Rent 2015
Posted: 8/28/15 at 12:49am

Wow that rep for the Staten Island company comes off as rather pompous. 

FindingNamo
#35Rent 2015
Posted: 8/28/15 at 12:56am

They should really hold off and do a full real national tour for the 25th anniversary.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#36Rent 2015
Posted: 8/28/15 at 8:58pm

It's so bizarre to read an article like that and all the people who've commented on it are people you know...

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#37Rent 2015
Posted: 8/28/15 at 9:31pm

FindingNamo said: "They should really hold off and do a full real national tour for the 25th anniversary."

Aren't they?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#38Rent 2015
Posted: 8/28/15 at 10:50pm

I can't stand it that Harbor Lights is advertising the production as the New York City return of Rent. It's not playing in NYC, it's playing in Staten Island, there's a difference. Also, for an equity production, why are they only doing 4 shows a week? Do their shows not sell??

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#39Rent 2015
Posted: 8/28/15 at 11:09pm

Staten Island is technically NYC, so it's not wrong, but yeah, labeling it as a "return" is annoying. It's not the same production.

Is it an Equity showcase? That may be why there are only 4.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

CurtainsUpat8 Profile Photo
CurtainsUpat8
#40Rent 2015
Posted: 8/28/15 at 11:10pm

I believe the headline was misleading. These media outlets should have read them before and had them change the title. This production is not on Long Island. It's in Long Island City. These are two totally different places. Long Island City is the part of Queens that is closest to Manhattan.

Their production is already sold out! That being said... IN MY OPINION... The Secret Theatre is a bare bones black box theatre in the middle of an industrial area, right under the 7 train.  I think it seats 99 people. There is nothing about it that is special. When these people who bought these tickets get there, I hope the show is going to be good. The producers are going to have to deal with the audience if it isn't now they have used their press release to hype their show. I have seen a few things there that were great, and many more which were not so good. They do a lot of rentals to other companies. I don't know what company is producing RENT at The Secret Theatre.

AEA AGMA SM
#41Rent 2015
Posted: 8/29/15 at 12:37am

LizzieCurry said: "Staten Island is technically NYC, so it's not wrong, but yeah, labeling it as a "return" is annoying. It's not the same production.

Is it an Equity showcase? That may be why there are only 4."

Harbor Lights is on an LOA to the LORT contract. So the actors are getting paid (as opposed to the travel stipends if it was a Showcase), but I would guess salaries are probably closer to the lower levels of the SPT contract if they are only doing four performances a week.

tourboi
#42Rent 2015
Posted: 8/29/15 at 6:23am

That and the St George Theatre on Staten Island, where they perform, is rather large... a few thousand I think. Prob don't have the audiences to fill more than four shows in a week.

AEA AGMA SM
#43Rent 2015
Posted: 8/29/15 at 10:05am

Harbor Lights does not perform at the St. George. They are at the Music Hall at Snug Harbor, which according to the article seats 680. Still a fairly sizable number, but not the couple thousand that the St. George seats.

tourboi
#44Rent 2015
Posted: 8/29/15 at 5:56pm

You're right. I had seen earlier that they produced GYPSY at the St George and just assumed.