pixeltracker

American Horror Story: Hotel- Page 2

American Horror Story: Hotel

FindingNamo
#26American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 8/27/15 at 4:27pm

I guess he's never heard the expression "too much of a bad thing".

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#27American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 9/11/15 at 9:16am

Updated On: 9/11/15 at 09:16 AM

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#28American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 9/11/15 at 11:04am

This trailer does not give me hope. It's a mini version of [name any season after 2]. Choppy, random and rushing to cram everybody important into their little moment.

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#29American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 9/11/15 at 12:21pm

While it isn't necessarily a reflection of the quality of the show itself, I think it's a pretty great trailer.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#31American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 9/11/15 at 1:01pm

I agree that fewer episodes (maybe 8-10) would work better, as would it being a NETFLIX series. This is one show that definitely benefits from no commercial breaks and binge-watching. I find re-watching each season on Blu-ray to be a much more cohesive and engrossing experience. But still looking forward!

Updated On: 9/11/15 at 01:01 PM

Jordan Catalano
#32American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 9/11/15 at 1:02pm

I agree with you. They should definitely make 8-10 less episodes per season. 

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#33American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 9/11/15 at 1:05pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I agree with you. They should definitely make 8-10 less episodes per season."

How droll.

Updated On: 9/11/15 at 01:05 PM

Jordan Catalano
#34American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 9/11/15 at 1:10pm

Sure. Ok. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#35American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 9/11/15 at 1:18pm

That article misses the larger issue with the series' quick devolution: Murphy's unrequited love affair with camp.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#36American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 9/11/15 at 2:35pm

So what if you happen to be a fan of campy horror? (e.g. Rocky Horror, Phantom of the Paradise, The Evil Dead, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte, etc.) Is it then OK to like and enjoy AHS? Its camp factor is one of the things that I enjoy the most about it.

Updated On: 9/11/15 at 02:35 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#37American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 9/11/15 at 2:47pm

The thing about camp is that the best camp isn't aware it's campy. The tragically ludicrous, the ludicrously tragic, as The Simpsons very aptly put it.

AHS is self-aware and insincere all the time, and is extremely dependent on decades of camp imagery, which it culls from, references, and reproduces, in the hope that some of it will stick.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#38American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 9/11/15 at 5:49pm

It seems to me that Murphy's obsession is with post-camp. I see echoes of the Aesthetes in "Beetlejuice" and worship of everything David Lynch ever did. But "Beetlejuice" is a film ABOUT camp, and David Lynch is deconstructing camp. Murphy is riffing and riffing and riffing, but not on the originals, but on other people's riffs.

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#39American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 9/11/15 at 11:49pm

A huge Gaga fan, so I'm excited to see her work here.

I get a kick out of the show, even at its most inconsistent, but I'm still longing for a season as accomplished and satisfying as Asylum and (most of) Murder House. The last two had some spectacular elements and great performances, but didn't come together.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#41American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/7/15 at 12:23am

As always, I will love it until I don't. 

The twisty plot line was one of the dumbest backstories on the show. It made no freaking sense. If Twisty were the villain of season 4 it might have almost been good.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#42American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/7/15 at 9:44am

Hot Garbage Wednesdays are back!

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#43American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/7/15 at 11:03am

Phyllis Rogers Stone said: "Hot Garbage Wednesdays are back!

"

Ha. And I just read Neil Patrick H will have a role again. Jesus

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#44American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/7/15 at 11:58am

Well NPH is the human equivalent of a Ryan Murphy production. Packed with talent but unable to helm a project without it floundering self-indulgently; openly gay but not effeminate or particularly queer beyond a surface level; appealing to the largest possible audience while beloved by fairly few; a little overexposed, a little underwritten, and a lot convinced of its own significance.

I happen to like NPH, and can enjoy Murphy shows despite myself, but the facts are what they are.

EricMontreal22
#45American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/7/15 at 12:05pm

I dunno, on that horrible Glee reality show and on the Sundance Writer's Room series episode about AHS Ryan Murphy definitely gives off a stereotypical lispy queen image (I guess that's not effeminate but...)  And he does seem to have a fanbase who do love his shows if people on FB are any indication who seem to find every AHS promo brilliant.

But I see your point.  :P  My point was this show already has a larger cast of Murphy faves than even last year did, and the huge cast is one reason AHS so often falls apart--we don't need another NPH 2 parter right when the show should be climaxing or whatever.  (Does this mean his husband will get an unnecessary role again too?)

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#46American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/7/15 at 2:04pm

I suppose I wasn't as clear as I could have been- Murphy can come off queeny himself, but his shows tend to favor equal opportunity eye candy and (until Finn Wittrock) tended to offer more female cheesecake than male by far.

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#47American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/7/15 at 4:12pm

Why can't y'all just relax and enjoy the ride?

Or if you don't like, don't watch. I really don't get this "hate watching" trend. I barely have enough time to keep up with the shows that I like, let alone the ones that I loathe. Some people just have too much free time on their hands.

As for complexity of plot and character, that's not really what I'm looking for in a horror movie. The majority, even the classics, don't have either. I'm just looking forward to a fun and wild ride!

Updated On: 10/7/15 at 04:12 PM

EricMontreal22
#48American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/7/15 at 4:13pm

AH gotcha.  Although I think the male cheesecake has been a factor going all the way back to Popular--certainly Nip/Tuck was filled with male shower scenes...

FindingNamo
#49American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/7/15 at 4:28pm

If you're interested in the culture of the US, not just the pop culture but the kind of lives diverse people live in these times, it's worth noting the assaults on women's rights and the misogynist Murphy ouevre as parallels.  That's just my opinion on why people who hate the man's product might want to watch it and think of it critically, in cultural terms.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Videos