pixeltracker

Hamilton's ticket price jump- Page 4

Hamilton's ticket price jump

ChiTheaterFan
#75Hamilton's ticket price jump
Posted: 9/15/15 at 12:40pm

Just found this article online. It's an interesting read  http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/inside-ticketmasters-new-scalping-plan-20130913

I'm not sure it's the same program now, but at least with respect to the resale option that was in place in 2013, ticketmaster did divvy up the revenues with the artists, depending on the contract. Also there was an option to opt out. 

the article is talking about musicians but I don't imagine it would operate differently for a Broadway show. I found it interesting that some of these musicians were actually making money off the secondary market before. I never realized that. 

ChiTheaterFan
#76Hamilton's ticket price jump
Posted: 9/15/15 at 12:40pm

Updated On: 9/15/15 at 12:40 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#77Hamilton's ticket price jump
Posted: 9/15/15 at 1:21pm

"It's setting the Great White Way up for a one-hit-per-season scenario, which is so unfortunate for other shows!"

But even ONE hit isn't guaranteed in a season, and never has been.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

FindingNamo
#78Hamilton's ticket price jump
Posted: 9/15/15 at 1:30pm

Yeah, there is absolutely no way that the "resale" tickets would be shown on Ticketmaster were the extra profits not shared with the producers and Ticketmaster.  It's like Premium-Plus charges.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#79Hamilton's ticket price jump
Posted: 9/15/15 at 1:43pm

I understand the issue people have with expensive tickets. I just never see the solution. What is it? You want a world with no premium tickets and no secondary market, OK... how does that work?

Amazing Grace has no premium prices and no secondary market. Why isn't everyone flocking there, if they are doing everything right? Hamilton's ticket price jump

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#80Hamilton's ticket price jump
Posted: 9/15/15 at 1:55pm

I imagine Telecharge will want to get into the resale game now, too, but it will take them at least 10 years to do the programming.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#81Hamilton's ticket price jump
Posted: 9/15/15 at 2:41pm

To Skimble

What you will have are winners like Spongebob and Moonshine.  A pox on them all. If we ever have a big economic downturn again, they will be left holding  the bag with a lot of unsold tickets. As long as suckers are willing to shell out big bucks, prices will continue to rise. SH*T happens.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 9/15/15 at 02:41 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#82Hamilton's ticket price jump
Posted: 9/15/15 at 2:45pm

Mr Roxy said: "If we ever have a big economic downturn again, they will be left holding  the bag with a lot of unsold tickets."

You do realize dynamic pricing means they can also LOWER the prices based on demand, too?

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#83Hamilton's ticket price jump
Posted: 9/15/15 at 3:08pm

Why anyone would pay $477 to see Hamilton is baffling. There is not a single show worth that kind of money. But then when you pay $954 for two tickets, you better damn well love it - or you look like a moron. So much favorable word of mouth for many of these MUST SEE shows is not built on their quality, which is often suspect, but what people paid to see these shows. Does anyone really want to look like a dope for spending close to a grand on a silly musical and then say the show was, "Meh." at best.

I saw Hamilton recently. Act I was virtually incomprehensible. Everyone around me was saying they couldn't understand the rapping at all. But, yet, they all agreed it was "Wonderful!" Huh?!? You don't know what the heck is going on, but it's wonderful? Really?

"I don't know what it means, but it's brilliant!" Cora Hoover Hopper

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#84Hamilton's ticket price jump
Posted: 9/15/15 at 3:20pm

JayG 2 said: "Why anyone would pay $477 to see Hamilton is baffling. There is not a single show worth that kind of money."

I assume you have the same bafflement regarding why someone pays $9k to fly to Paris for the weekend. It's a fool's errand to wrap your head around what other folks value, just as it is to imply what and why they like. Too bad Hamilton was incomprehensible to you. You are obviously aware that it made brilliant sense to many many people (here and elsewhere) who have written intelligently about it. It wasn't for you. Sounds like a personal problem. 

But then when you pay $954 for two tickets, you better damn well love it - or you look like a moron. So much favorable word of mouth for many of these MUST SEE shows is not built on their quality, which is often suspect, but what people paid to see these shows. Does anyone really want to look like a dope for spending close to a grand on a silly musical and then say the show was, "Meh." at best.

I saw Hamilton recently. Act I was virtually incomprehensible. Everyone around me was saying they couldn't understand the rapping at all. But, yet, they all agreed it was "Wonderful!" Huh?!? You don't know what the heck is going on, but it's wonderful? Really?

"I don't know what it means, but it's brilliant!" Cora Hoover Hopper

"

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#85Hamilton's ticket price jump
Posted: 9/15/15 at 3:45pm

Felt the same re BOM. Got actors fund thru a service and it still not worth it.

Poster Emeritus

neonlightsxo
#86Hamilton's ticket price jump
Posted: 9/15/15 at 3:49pm

Thanks for your weekly reminder that you didn't like Mormon, Roxy. We've got it by now. But god knows, you keep reminding us.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#87Hamilton's ticket price jump
Posted: 9/15/15 at 3:55pm

As long as someone reminds us every 3 seconds how mind bendingly brilliant Hamilton is, I can occasionally state how I felt how underwhelming BOM was for us.

By the way, many on this board plus a friend of ours who saw it wished he had his money back .Another must see show which may not live up to its hype.

Poster Emeritus

FindingNamo
#88Hamilton's ticket price jump
Posted: 9/15/15 at 4:06pm

So in a discussion of apples you want to register your dissatisfaction with oranges. Duly noted. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#89Hamilton's ticket price jump
Posted: 9/15/15 at 4:07pm

The cast album will suit us fine

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 9/15/15 at 04:07 PM

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#90Hamilton's ticket price jump
Posted: 9/15/15 at 4:34pm

You don't know what you're missing!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#91Hamilton's ticket price jump
Posted: 9/15/15 at 4:41pm

I guess I will never know. Somehow, I think I will survive .

Poster Emeritus

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#92Hamilton's ticket price jump
Posted: 9/15/15 at 4:44pm

I doubt highly you'd go to Hamilton even if they gave you tickets for free.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#93Hamilton's ticket price jump
Posted: 9/15/15 at 5:03pm

Mr Roxy said: "As long as someone reminds us every 3 seconds how mind bendingly brilliant Hamilton is, I can occasionally state how I felt how underwhelming BOM was for us."

Actually, the reference to Hamilton being brilliant was someone who did not find it brilliant, hearing those around them saying it was brilliant. But I'm a sucker for context.

FindingNamo
#94Hamilton's ticket price jump
Posted: 9/15/15 at 5:08pm

Roxy must not know about the conservatives loving Hamilton. Except the racists. Which might be a category that overlaps with Roxy's friends, given the company they keep. 

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#95Hamilton's ticket price jump
Posted: 9/15/15 at 6:26pm

"It's a fool's errand to wrap your head around what other folks value, just as it is to imply what and why they like. Too bad Hamilton was incomprehensible to you. You are obviously aware that it made brilliant sense to many many people (here and elsewhere) who have written intelligently about it. It wasn't for you"

Exactly. I saw it recently as I posted previously and loved it. No, I would not pay $477 for a seat because I can't afford that and I could see several other shows for $477. If people value seeing "Hamilton" at that price than good for them. The only bad thing IMO is that because they are willing to spend this much it sets the "bar" in the future for "hit" shows.

Updated On: 9/15/15 at 06:26 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#96Hamilton's ticket price jump
Posted: 9/15/15 at 6:29pm

Exactly the point.

Poster Emeritus

indytallguy
#97Hamilton's ticket price jump
Posted: 9/15/15 at 7:11pm

Seems safe to say the future holds more dynamic pricing; more seats being labeled as premium, low premium, medium premium, or some other similar designation; and premium ticket prices reaching absurdly high levels that cause endless debates to break out in online discussion forums.

Updated On: 9/15/15 at 07:11 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#98Hamilton's ticket price jump
Posted: 9/15/15 at 8:11pm

NAMO

Re your racist comment, you need professional help. You comments, as always, are beneath contempt as are you.

Never assume . You know rest.

Poster Emeritus

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#99Hamilton's ticket price jump
Posted: 9/15/15 at 8:25pm

The producers don't decide the prices...the consumer does.