pixeltracker

Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film- Page 2

Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#25Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film
Posted: 9/14/15 at 9:31pm

Why can't they just a film of the stage show?!!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Mrtrobz
#26Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film
Posted: 9/14/15 at 9:36pm

I hope they use songs from the original film. Could you imagine a Mary Poppins who doesn't sing Spoonful of Sugar!? Surely they wouldn't make this a musical and forget the original tunes all together.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#27Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film
Posted: 9/14/15 at 9:55pm

Hamilton22 said: "Will the character of Mary Poppins be in the film? Why bother doing this film if Julie Andrews isn't Mary? Her performance is iconic.  This is just gross. Come on Disney....

"

My thoughts exactly. Now, if Julie somehow reprise her role, I can feel better about this. This would work better if the nanny is actually Mary Poppin's daughter and MP would be guiding her, so that way, Julie is still Mary Poppins. 

This movie is selfish and insulting in many levels. It's insulting to...

• Julie Andrews and Dick van Dyke, whose performances are iconic and can not be outdone. Not to mention that she won an Oscar for it. Despite her age and singing voice, I can't see why Julie can't reprise her role. The fact that they're getting another actress is terrible. Dick's Bert can easily get a cameo. 
  • Walt Disney, who had no desire to make a sequel (Could be wrong) and didn't believe in sequels. And now, they're whoring out the company for $$$.
  • And most of all, P.L Travers, who hated the movie to literally the point of tears and now, they're making it worse for Travers with this sequels. Are the people, who hold the rights, even going to approve this? Disney needed special permission for the musical.
Updated On: 9/14/15 at 09:55 PM

Starship
#28Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film
Posted: 9/14/15 at 10:06pm

Hear that? It's the sound of Disney starting to milk a beloved franchise to death.

FindingNamo
#29Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film
Posted: 9/14/15 at 10:07pm

Every single thing is iconic nowadays.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#30Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film
Posted: 9/14/15 at 11:16pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Why can't they just a film of the stage show?!!

Because the stage show is a lifeless, theme-parky version of a beautiful, joyous and expertly made film.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

disneybroadwayfan22
#31Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film
Posted: 9/14/15 at 11:17pm

^Like how this sequel is going to be

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#32Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film
Posted: 9/14/15 at 11:29pm

It's nice to see Shaiman and Wittman still getting work after Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Hopefully we'll get more songs like "Double Bubble Duchess."

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#33Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film
Posted: 9/15/15 at 1:40am

"Walt Disney, who had no desire to make a sequel (Could be wrong) and didn't believe in sequels. And now, they're whoring out the company for $$$."

Actually, Walt Disney approached P.L. Travers after Mary Poppins was such a success with the intention of making a sequel, but Travers put her foot down and absolutely refused. I guess Disney respected her wishes that time and dropped the idea.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

Starship
#34Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film
Posted: 9/15/15 at 2:21am

Even though I still really am disappointed with this announcement, I WOULD love to see someone like Tom Hiddlestone play Bert. And if they're including the Mrs. Corry story, it'd be a great vehicle for Julie Andrews.

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#35Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film
Posted: 9/15/15 at 2:58am

Stiles & Drewe should be writing the score.

Mrtrobz
#36Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film
Posted: 9/15/15 at 5:55am

They are making it with the Travers estate so this must be one seriously successful pitch on Disney's side to allow them to do this. My guess is that they are happy with the direction it's taking most likely being an adaptation of the books as its even set in the books written time period which was in the 1930s. I hope the use atleast some of the original songs even if it is only Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and A Spoonful of sugar.

You would be mad to overwrite the iconicness of them and they can still factor in the book with Mrs Corry providing words. The setting of the depression could be good for Mr. Banks having a crisis with his job. The musical was inspired by the eight books so if they reboot this in that vain then it could be okay providing they aren't crazy enough to ditch the Sherman songs.

Updated On: 9/15/15 at 05:55 AM

Liza's Headband
#37Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film
Posted: 9/15/15 at 8:03am

Now...as for the film itself...I have heard rumors  about it, and those rumoring Emily Blunt for the leading role...if this film is getting made, then Emily Blunt seems to be the best bet, or maybe Anne Hathaway.

It is not a rumor. It is a fact. Blunt signed on many months ago, and I eluded to this in several Matilda movie musical threads weeks ago. Her attachment to the project will be announced soon. 

Mrtrobz
#38Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film
Posted: 9/15/15 at 8:25am

Liza's Headband said: "Now...as for the film itself...I have heard rumors  about it, and those rumoring Emily Blunt for the leading role...if this film is getting made, then Emily Blunt seems to be the best bet, or maybe Anne Hathaway.

It is not a rumor. It is a fact. Blunt signed on many months ago, and I eluded to this in several Matilda movie musical threads weeks ago. Her attachment to the project will be announced soon. 

"

I had a feeling that you may have been alluding to that in the Matilda thread. Blunt as Poppins is a great match. Do you know if they plan on doing this like BATB and retaining the old songs with a few new ones? If they got the approval of Sherman then that must surely be on the cards.

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#39Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film
Posted: 9/15/15 at 9:00am

I'd rather see someone like Anne Hathaway or Cate Blanchett play Poppins. I wasn't very impressed with Blunt's singing in Into The Woods. But anyone besides Julie Andrews is just wrong. 

So let's see, Disney has announced reboots for Pinocchio, Beauty and the beast, Jungle Book, Aladdin, Dumbo, 101 Dalmations, Tinker Bell, Sword and the Stone and the Little Mermaid. hmmm....Can't wait for Lion King reboot.....

Updated On: 9/15/15 at 09:00 AM

Liza's Headband
#40Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film
Posted: 9/15/15 at 9:02am

I'd rather see someone like Anne Hathaway or Cate Blanchett play Poppins. I wasn't very impressed with Blunt's singing in Into The Woods. But anyone besides Julie Andrews is just wrong. 

Unless she pulls out, EB is the new Mary. There's no reason to speculate further. 

Do you know if they plan on doing this like BATB and retaining the old songs with a few new ones? If they got the approval of Sherman then that must surely be on the cards.

Correct. 

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#41Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film
Posted: 9/15/15 at 9:11am

Unless she pulls out, EB is the new Mary. There's no reason to speculate further. 

Who was speculating? I was giving my opinion on who I wanted to see as Mary, not speculating who would be Mary.

Mrtrobz
#42Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film
Posted: 9/15/15 at 9:21am

Liza's Headband said: "

Correct. 

"

Then I will probably enjoy this. I can take or leave the Tim Rice songs it's the originals that I am most excited to hear again. Now I can see why the Travers agreed it's essentially the same vehicle as the film encompassing the original film music into the books 1934 continuity.

Updated On: 9/15/15 at 09:21 AM

sng
#43Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film
Posted: 9/15/15 at 9:39am

So Rob Marshall is directing this. I'd rather him to do Follies instead. Didn't he said he was doing Follies with Meryl Streep?

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#44Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film
Posted: 9/15/15 at 9:43am

I'm really disheartened to hear it will use the original songs. When I first saw the news I was kindof reassured because I assumed it would be a whole new take (new songs different stories etc.) but now it seems it's just going to be a boring rehash. If that's the case they ought to just leave it alone.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

disneybroadwayfan22
#45Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film
Posted: 9/15/15 at 9:50am

Where's your sources of EB as Mary Poppins? I have to admit that she is a lovely choice for this. 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#46Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film
Posted: 9/15/15 at 10:44am

I don't think there is anything wrong with not revealing information about yourself to millions of people online, and she has her right to her opinions, hence "speaking for herself"

Let me explain what I'm talking about: Grace Randolph said that Into the Woods 'underperformed' and she didn't give too much detail as to why (on video). She explained in the comments section that after Chicago, a Rob Marshall film musical should've faired much better at the box office. That's what I meant about the fact that she speaks way too much for herself as if she was the head of Disney.

But guess what? She's not! Many people considered Into the Woods to be a success, it even holds the record for the biggest opening of any big screen adaptation of a Broadway show. The most anyone should really be happy about was that the movie was A success overall.

I even remember Steven Spielberg once explaining in an interview that you should never count on your movie to be a big hit (unless of course it's a sequel).

Liza's Headband
#47Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film
Posted: 9/15/15 at 10:52am

Where's your sources of EB as Mary Poppins?

Me. I am the source. You can PM me if you really need to know more about how and why.

I'm really disheartened to hear it will use the original songs. When I first saw the news I was kindof reassured because I assumed it would be a whole new take (new songs different stories etc.) but now it seems it's just going to be a boring rehash.

To be clear.... it's not a "rehash," per se. Much of the score and material will be original. Seeing as it's a sequel, however, there is an understanding that the inclusion of one or two songs from the first original Poppins is all but necessary. I don't know which songs they will be. They're not even in pre-production for this yet, much less the writing phase. 

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#48Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film
Posted: 9/15/15 at 2:50pm

Why does anyone care what Grace Randolph thinks? The opinions of YouTube celebrities are rarely interesting.

Just received this tidbit from a source close to the discussions:

"Emily Blunt OUT. Michelle Dockery IN."

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#49Disney doing new live action Mary Poppins musical film
Posted: 9/15/15 at 3:26pm

Did I read this wrong---Mary Poppins 20 years on; New music,children now adults and possibly they have children now?

So--what's the problem? There is the wonderful original, now we have a completely NEW musical film that carries the story forward.

Love your Julie-that's always there- and be happy that this delightful character will continue to fly into and be a part of another generation .