haterobics
#3didn't curious get the tony?
Posted: 10/6/15 at 4:03pm

Less people are attending.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#4didn't curious get the tony?
Posted: 10/6/15 at 4:11pm

It could be because they lost their tony winning star.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Jabere
#5didn't curious get the tony?
Posted: 10/6/15 at 4:17pm

I am not an idiot. I know less  people are attending. But why ?

Why after winning a slash of Tonys are grosses so low?

neonlightsxo
#6didn't curious get the tony?
Posted: 10/6/15 at 4:25pm

It's October. Tourism is low.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#7didn't curious get the tony?
Posted: 10/6/15 at 4:33pm

Not to mention that the general populace tends to lose interest in plays quicker than they do musicals.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

asmith0307
#8didn't curious get the tony?
Posted: 10/6/15 at 4:38pm

Most plays, even Tony-winning ones, don't last longer than a few months.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#9didn't curious get the tony?
Posted: 10/6/15 at 4:40pm

Why after winning a slash of Tonys are grosses so low?

It's because they rescinded the rule that stated that a Tony win equaled never-dwindling grosses.  

I'm not sure slash was the word you wanted there, btw. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#10didn't curious get the tony?
Posted: 10/6/15 at 5:52pm

Jabere said: "I know less  people are attending. But why?"

That seems to the real question then... not why its grosses are low.

Jabere
#11didn't curious get the tony?
Posted: 10/6/15 at 6:00pm

asmith0307 said: "Most plays, even Tony-winning ones, don't last longer than a few months.

Maybe the Americans do not get as much as the British

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#12didn't curious get the tony?
Posted: 10/6/15 at 6:30pm

Don't get as much WHAT? 

This has been playing for (just) over a year.  For an American PLAY, that is outstanding. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 10/6/15 at 06:30 PM

asmith0307
#13didn't curious get the tony?
Posted: 10/6/15 at 7:47pm

dramamama611 said: "Don't get as much WHAT? 

This has been playing for (just) over a year.  For an American PLAY, that is outstanding. "

While I can't answer as to what, it is true that War Horse will run almost 8.5 years on the West End. No American play has lasted that long in a while, if ever. 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#14didn't curious get the tony?
Posted: 10/6/15 at 7:50pm

Jabere said: "Why are Curious Grosses so low?

What do you mean by "so low"?   Grosses look pretty good to me - considering there is no orchestra to pay.   

"

RaiseYouUp Profile Photo
RaiseYouUp
#15didn't curious get the tony?
Posted: 10/6/15 at 8:14pm

neonlightsxo said: "It's October. Tourism is low. "

It's suprising that October is a low tourism month, as many schools have fall breaks around this time. Plus NYC is amazing in the fall!

dramamama611
#16didn't curious get the tony?
Posted: 10/6/15 at 8:20pm

Very few schools have a break in October. 

But the statement about it being slow is not wrong.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#17didn't curious get the tony?
Posted: 10/6/15 at 9:44pm

Why would schools have off in October? That wouldn't make sense given the fact that school started just a month or two ago and there's Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up very soon. (Of course, I'm from the South, so maybe things work differently up North.)

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#18didn't curious get the tony?
Posted: 10/6/15 at 9:55pm

I think Tony wins don't affect runs of plays as much as they do musicals. Really, though, for Curious to still be running today (as a categorical play) is an astonishing achievement. 

dramamama611
#19didn't curious get the tony?
Posted: 10/6/15 at 10:58pm

Elfuhbuh said: "Why would schools have off in October? That wouldn't make sense given the fact that school started just a month or two ago and there's Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up very soon. (Of course, I'm from the South, so maybe things work differently up North.)

"

No, it's not different for the vast majority of schools.

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#20didn't curious get the tony?
Posted: 10/7/15 at 1:04pm

Phyllis Rogers Stone said: "Why after winning a slash of Tonys are grosses so low?

It's because they rescinded the rule that stated that a Tony win equaled never-dwindling grosses.  

I'm not sure slash was the word you wanted there, btw. 

"

Well played, Phyllis. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

mamaleh
#21didn't curious get the tony?
Posted: 10/7/15 at 1:32pm

I caught the play about a year ago,  just after it opened; knew instantly that Alex Sharp would win great acclaim.   Going back again soon (this time with hubby) to see how it plays with the new major cast members.

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#22didn't curious get the tony?
Posted: 10/7/15 at 9:38pm

I saw the understudy in July and was blown away.  The play is BRILLIANT as are all the performances and the entire creative concept.  That doesn't mean people will flock to it like they do musicals.  Just the nature of the biz.

". . . POP . . ."

NotTheComfyChair Profile Photo
NotTheComfyChair
#23didn't curious get the tony?
Posted: 10/8/15 at 10:10am

What's the problem here?

Curious Incident is still running after one year with no above the title stars.  Even after one year, it is still grossing at a higher percentage than any other play currently on Broadway - unless I mis-read the grosses.  That will change when Pacino and Charles III hit town but still... The only play with a higher attendance percentage last week was Fool for Love whose percentage is skewed by MTC's subscriber base. 

It's running costs are much, much less than virtually all the musicals running right now. I would guess that Curious is making much more money per week now than Matilda, Jersey Boys, Amazing Grace, Spring Awakening, Dames at Sea, etc etc and potentially more than King and I and Kinky Boots

Rumors of it's demise are highly exaggerated.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#24didn't curious get the tony?
Posted: 10/8/15 at 10:42am

"While I can't answer as to what, it is true that War Horse will run almost 8.5 years on the West End. No American play has lasted that long in a while, if ever."

War Horse  might not be the best example - it's a highly unusual show, not driven by text, with almost enough music to be called a musical, and appealing to adults, children, non-English speaking audiences, etc. Although technically a "play," that word doesn't really suffice to define it.

8.5 years = 3,536 performances. No play has run that long on Broadway. The longest running Broadway play is still (I believe) Life With Father at 3,224 performances (7.75 years), then Tobacco Road with 3,182, then Abie's Irish Rose at 2,327. More recently, there has been Gemini with 1,819 performances, closely followed by Deathtrap at 1,793 and Harvey at 1,775.