Diversity on Broadway

Dave19
#575Diversity on Broadway
Posted: 11/5/15 at 9:32am

GavestonPS said: "......while the other way has just the one."

Just because you choose not to see it doesn't mean there isn't more.

But I'm glad you see this street, What do you think of it?

Updated On: 11/5/15 at 09:32 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#576Diversity on Broadway
Posted: 11/5/15 at 9:33am

We can talk about Panera, too.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Dave19
#577Diversity on Broadway
Posted: 11/5/15 at 9:41am

Or we can talk about the passion of "Comparing every black person in 2015 to a slave" 

What's so fantastic about that? A lot of people seem to love doing it all day!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#578Diversity on Broadway
Posted: 11/5/15 at 10:11am

Panera's mac n cheese is delish.  Had some last night for a quick meal before rehearsal.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Dave19
#579Diversity on Broadway
Posted: 11/5/15 at 10:17am

I think Panera is racist, they use a white bald man in their ads, not every man is white and bald.

And my grandfather who was treated badly in WW2 by the Germans was white and bald too.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#580Diversity on Broadway
Posted: 11/5/15 at 10:20am

Who doesn't love soup served inside of hollowed-out bread? I mean, if that's not the pinnacle of innovation, I don't know what is.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Dave19
#581Diversity on Broadway
Posted: 11/5/15 at 10:23am

Is it brown bread? If not, it's racist.

FindingNamo
#582Diversity on Broadway
Posted: 11/5/15 at 12:14pm

No it's not. 

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#583Diversity on Broadway
Posted: 11/5/15 at 7:20pm

Dave19 said: "GavestonPS said: "......while the other way has just the one."

Just because you choose not to see it doesn't mean there isn't more.

But I'm glad you see this street, What do you think of it?

"

I don't think of it much at all. Whatever racial discrimination we white people may encounter is nothing compared to the privileges we enjoy, even when we are not aware of our privilege.

As for diversity in casting (Is that the subject here?), I think we need to get to a point where the psychiatrist in STREETCAR isn't presumed to be white just because the script doesn't say he is black. We ain't there yet.

Dave19
#584Diversity on Broadway
Posted: 11/6/15 at 5:28am

GavestonPS said: "Whatever racial discrimination we white people may encounter is nothing compared to.."

Oh, it's not about that. It's about the deliberate racism from black people towards themselves. And the lack of understanding what consequences this has.

Updated On: 11/6/15 at 05:28 AM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#585Diversity on Broadway
Posted: 11/6/15 at 9:10am

You should really take a US history class. 

FindingNamo
#586Diversity on Broadway
Posted: 11/6/15 at 9:52am

Black people can be all sorts of things towards one another (unless you literally mean each individual toward their own self, it's hard to tell with the way you write) but racist isn't one of them.

I'm just going to assume the Gaveston quote is a typo because he was educated past junior high. 

Dave19
#587Diversity on Broadway
Posted: 11/6/15 at 12:51pm

Phyllis Rogers Stone said: "You should really take a US history class. "

So I can compare every black person in 2015 to a slave all day? no thanks.

Besides, I know every detail about that history, and there's no need whatsoever to see anyone as a slave today.

Updated On: 11/6/15 at 12:51 PM

Dave19
#588Diversity on Broadway
Posted: 11/6/15 at 12:59pm

FindingNamo said: "Black people can be all sorts of things towards one another (unless you literally mean each individual toward their own self, it's hard to tell with the way you write) but racist isn't one of them."

Oh yes it is.

"Racism consists of ideologies and practices that seek to justify, or cause, the unequal distribution of privileges or rights among different racial groups. These can take the form of social actions, practices or beliefs, or political systems that consider different races to be ranked as inherently superior or inferior to each other"

Separate awards, is exactly this. Because they decide that their race is inferior. 

Comparing every black person in 2015 to a slave is also that. And the list goes on and on. No matter how much you dislike it, it is also racism.

Updated On: 11/6/15 at 12:59 PM

FindingNamo
#589Diversity on Broadway
Posted: 11/6/15 at 1:05pm

It's funny how you highlighted "racial groups" but not "different," which is very crafty, you person who pretends to not know what you're talking about!  Or maybe you aren't pretending?

And then you turned it into a discussion of awards shows (a very very very very very important issue when discussing the systemic oppression of an entire group of people by the mechanisms of control used by the state!) when I was responding to your ill-considered notion of black people being the worst racists towards other black people, which you disprove with the definition you yanked from god knows where.

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#590Diversity on Broadway
Posted: 11/6/15 at 1:52pm

Diversity on Broadway

Dave19
#591Diversity on Broadway
Posted: 11/6/15 at 6:00pm

I didn't hightlight it, it was a clickable link on Wikipedia and I couldn't change it. And it does not matter.

And there is a whole list of examples of racism towards themselves, which I mentioned many times in this thread, not just the awards for skin color.

Updated On: 11/6/15 at 06:00 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#592Diversity on Broadway
Posted: 11/6/15 at 6:05pm

Is Dave trying to set a record here, just how long was Pinto's ridiculous bisexuality thread... or was there a longer one that kept repeating itself for pages and pages and pages before that one?

FindingNamo
#593Diversity on Broadway
Posted: 11/6/15 at 6:12pm

You can't be racist towards yourself in the same way you can't beat yourself up.  Black people cant be racist towards other black people in exactly the same way men can't be sexist towards each other. 

Updated On: 11/6/15 at 06:12 PM

Dave19
#594Diversity on Broadway
Posted: 11/6/15 at 6:34pm

They definitely downgrade their race (and do what is desribed in the explanation of racism) and do not realize the consequences this has.

It's called reciprocity.

As long as you think in separations, that's exactly what you will get back.

(Lyrics in Nicki Minaj songs, awards, separate rules, daily comparisons to slaves, etc, etc).

Updated On: 11/6/15 at 06:34 PM

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#595Diversity on Broadway
Posted: 11/6/15 at 6:51pm

FindingNamo said: "...I'm just going to assume the Gaveston quote is a typo because he was educated past junior high. 

"

I did go to high school, but, no, the quote isn't a typo, though it (inadvertently) lost some of its meaning when moved from its original context. I thought we were talking about black-on-white discrimination, which I know happens occasionally, but I don't consider it to be a major problem in our society. After all, white people can still avoid people of color altogether if they choose the right address and job. But I had just read a post complaining about black award shows and so I misunderstood the discussion. Myself, I have no problem with black award shows or gay award shows (hello, GLAAD!). We may have had a year or two with high numbers of African-American Oscar nominees, but IMO it's far too soon to say everything is equal.

Dave has since corrected me and asked me about the "problem" of black-on-black discrimination. I realize this was indeed an issue during the Jim Crow years, when lighter skin blacks were privileged in their own communities over darker skin blacks. But I know plenty of candid, politically conscious black people and I haven't heard anyone complain about black-on-black discrimination in many years. So I don't know if this is even a significant issue any more.

Namo, I don't always agree with marxist-inspired argument that discrimination only matters when it stems from the group with the dominant social power and position. Black-on-white discrimination may matter very much to an individual white person who lives in an otherwise all-black neighborhood. But I do agree that in terms of social policy, our efforts should be aimed at curbing the sins of the majority, rather than fretting about an occasional inconvenience to members of that majority.

And with that, I have no idea whether I am speaking to the current topic, because I don't understand what that is.

FindingNamo
#596Diversity on Broadway
Posted: 11/6/15 at 8:40pm

Oh Davey, Wikipedia is not a viable source for what racism is but it's totes adorbs the way you keep changing the inaccurate definition of racism to fit whichever point you're arguing against (award shows, niki minage lyrics, color blind casting) but read this carefully:  black people can't be racist toward other black people in (get ready now) EXACTLY THE SAME WAY THAT MEN CANNOT BE SEXIST TOWARDS OTHER MEN.  Period.  As much as you want your bizarre constructions to be true, they simply aren't. 

Best,

FN

Updated On: 11/6/15 at 08:40 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#597Diversity on Broadway
Posted: 11/6/15 at 10:02pm

I do find that women segregate themselves. I was reading an article about women in entertainment and they quoted Ava DuVernay the director for Selma: "Wen you look at the stats of women filmmakers of color, it's grotesque. I call upon my sisters who are not of color to keep in mind that when we talk about women filmmakers, there is a group inside that that group that is having an even harder time." Now, I totally get her frustration, but the article is dealing with women in Hollywood and how about 9% of the big budget studio movies are directed/written by women. Why can't we include ALL women in our fight towards equality? Maybe it's back to the "#blacklivesmatter" thing that I didn't quite grasp because to me #alllivesmatter. 

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#598Diversity on Broadway
Posted: 11/6/15 at 10:05pm

Diversity on Broadway

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#599Diversity on Broadway
Posted: 11/6/15 at 10:43pm

I like to storm into the funerals of strangers and scream, "OH YEAH?  BECAUSE I HAVE LOST PEOPLE TOO!!!