On Your Feet! Previews

joeyv2
#100On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/15/15 at 9:47am

Beautiful, to me, is the exemplary juxebox musical - because the book was really strong. I just cannot get behind someone writing a lousy book when the music is all there already. It relieves a tremendous amount of the work. Makes me appreciate all original musicals quite a bit more, even those I dislike. 

iluvtheatertrash
#101On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/15/15 at 10:30am

Have pictures of Josh in those little white shorts surfaced yet? Asking for a friend.... On Your Feet! Previews

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#102On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/15/15 at 10:36am

It seems there is excitement around this show. I have absolutely none. Am I the only one that feels that Gloria and the MSM's music is extremely dated and lackluster? I have no desire to see this show. Also, it will most likely tour so I'll end up stuck with it in my subscription package. You couldn't pay me to see this.

The music of Carole King and Valli are iconic and changed music. Gloria Estefan-mediocre pop? Meh.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

ebontoyan
#103On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/15/15 at 10:50am

^Then don't watch the show, exchange it out in your subscription package!! That's what I did to my Gentleman's Guide tix part of my season tix package. I've seen it once in NYC and once is too many! Hope you can do so with yours.

As for On your Feet I love this show, seen it in Chicago during tryouts and it is in my lineup to watch in my Jan 2016 NYC trip. But I grew up loving Gloria and MSM music, it is great to see their story and music put on stage 

Updated On: 10/15/15 at 10:50 AM

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#104On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/15/15 at 12:58pm

"Beautiful, to me, is the exemplary juxebox musical - because the book was really strong. I just cannot get behind someone writing a lousy book when the music is all there already. It relieves a tremendous amount of the work. Makes me appreciate all original musicals quite a bit more, even those I dislike."

Funny, I thought Beautiful's book was lazy, full of audience pandering, and occasionally face-palm worthy.  I believe many reviews pointed out the Book being the weakest point of the show.  Different strokes, I suppose.

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#105On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/15/15 at 3:18pm

I saw the show again last night, and I enjoyed it just as much the second time as I did the first time. Sure, the book is very cheesy at times, but overall the show works for me. It is just a FUN show that is very entertaining IMO. The music is the star of the show, and all the songs are so well performed. The one thing that did bother me about the show is the set. The sliding and rotating panels of shutters just looked cheap to me. I also found a lot of the projections to be slightly on the tacky side. It doesn't really look or feel like a Broadway set.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

joeyv2
#106On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/15/15 at 4:41pm

Funny, I thought Beautiful's book was lazy, full of audience pandering, and occasionally face-palm worthy.  I believe many reviews pointed out the Book being the weakest point of the show.  Different strokes, I suppose.

Yikes - if you (and critics I suppose) thought that of Beautiful, then be prepared for OYF's book to be utterly savaged.

"

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#107On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/15/15 at 4:42pm

Then I guess that 18 million is going to royalties and the Estefan estate. No stars, no major sets? Show me the money! ….and where it's going!

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#108On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/15/15 at 10:35pm

musikman said: "Funny, I thought Beautiful's book was lazy, full of audience pandering, and occasionally face-palm worthy.  I believe many reviews pointed out the Book being the weakest point of the show.  Different strokes, I suppose."

Me too. I enjoyed Beautiful, but for the scenic design, music, and stellar performances. The book, however, was far from good. Shocked that it even got a Tony nod. 

brdway411
#109On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/15/15 at 10:43pm

OYF'S book is better than Motown's. The only reason I stayed at Motown was to see the Jackson 5 numbers and left as soon as they were done.  

brdway411
#110On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 10/15/15 at 10:53pm

I just saw the show for the second time tonight, this time with the husband. We both enjoyed it. 

Updated On: 10/15/15 at 10:53 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#111On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 1/14/16 at 1:19am

Saw this tonight from the Mezz, which was VERY empty. 

I can't say I loved it or even liked it. I don't think Estefan's music is all that interesting either vocally or lyrically. The songs don't tell a story or really say anything interesting or profound. Sure, they're fun to listen to, but for context to a musical they are pretty lame. 

The book is just downright awful. There's no dramatic tension, no anything. There's not even interesting insight into the industry - like Beautiful. It's just very basic. 

I think it's Mitchell's worst directing. I don't know if it was because of the book, but he made some weird ass choices. Like when they meet for the first time and everything dissolves slowly until it is just them.... and then everyone just comes back on abruptly. Some of the staging seemed a bit wonky and oddly positioned. 

All the actors were fine. Ana was in great voice, but again, the songs aren't exactly vocally interesting or show-offy, and there's really only one scene that asks her to do any dramatic acting, which.... was a little ho-hum. It's not a Tony winning role. Josh was fine, but his line readings, which I'm sure are a great impression of the real guy, were so dry and one-note that when he spoke for long periods of time my mind drifted. Or like in his solo songs, the band drowned him out. 

The set was fine, if a little Vegas show. Nothing really spoke of the time or the place very well. Just random pictures of brick buildings and palm trees. I didn't know if they were in Miami or Cuba half the time. 

Act 2 draaaaags so hard. There's just ballad after ballad after ballad. I was so bored. The story is just so wonky. She crashes, she gets better. That's it. Not other point to the story. Stupid. 

VintageSnarker
#112On Your Feet! Previews
Posted: 3/9/17 at 4:41pm

I wasn't sure what thread to bump. I've just realized that I haven't been in the Marquis since The Drowsy Chaperone and I have no idea where the box office is. I'm picking up tickets. Can someone tell me where I need to go?