Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16- Page 4

Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#75Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 2/5/16 at 5:01pm

@TerrenceIsTheMann

*Fool for Love is actually a revival.

*You seriously think Kiera Knightley has a chance of being remembered?

*While I have heard that Eclipsed is an ensemble piece, isn't Lupita Nyong'o the lead?

*Nicola Walker is actually eligible for Lead, not Featured.

Shrek3
#76Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 2/5/16 at 5:07pm

The TONYS love kids but hardly ever give nominations to them ever since so many people wouldn't stop bitching about the Billy Elliot kids winning. 

pupscotch
#77Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 2/5/16 at 5:16pm

As unlikely as this is, I'd love to see Daniel Durant and Alex Boniello get a joint nomination for Featured Actor. There are a lot of other excellent performances that will be nominated in this category, so I won't be too upset, but the two of them make a fantastic Moritz. 

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#78Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 2/5/16 at 5:18pm

I really really hope there is some way Emily Padgett could snag a Featured Actress nod for "Bright Star", but it's really tough this year.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Sunny11
#79Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 2/5/16 at 5:24pm

Shrek3 said: "The TONYS love kids but hardly ever give nominations to them ever since so many people wouldn't stop bitching about the Billy Elliot kids winning. 

2013 saw the Matildas jointly win a Tony and Sydney Lucas was nominated in 2015 so there is a couple of recent examples. 

Updated On: 2/5/16 at 05:24 PM

TerrenceIsTheMann
#80Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 2/5/16 at 5:33pm

*Fool for Love is actually a revival.

*You seriously think Kiera Knightley has a chance of being remembered?

*While I have heard that Eclipsed is an ensemble piece, isn't Lupita Nyong'o the lead?

*Nicola Walker is actually eligible for Lead, not Featured.

"

Thanks for the clarification on those two. Lupita Nyong'o could be either or probably, but they should put her up for featured. Also, yes. she was incredible in Therese. I honestly would say she probably has a nomination awaiting her.

Updated On: 2/5/16 at 05:33 PM

toofunktastic2
#81Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 2/5/16 at 5:44pm

Sunny11 said: "Shrek3 said: "The TONYS love kids but hardly ever give nominations to them ever since so many people wouldn't stop bitching about the Billy Elliot kids winning. 

2013 saw the Matildas jointly win a Tony and Sydney Lucas was nominated in 2015 so there is a couple of recent examples. 

The Matildas got a special tony honor not a regular acting Tony. 

@z5
#82Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 2/5/16 at 6:17pm

I highly doubt Dames at Sea will be nominated for anything honestly, I basically forgot about it the day after seeing it. Similarly with Noises Off, it was very underwhelming I believe and the performances weren't as strong or involving as I had expected to see, or saw in other shows in recent months.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#83Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 2/5/16 at 6:19pm

^Considering the raves Noises Off received, you're probably only in the minority opinion there.

CindersGolightly
#84Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 2/5/16 at 6:26pm

If Hilty isn't a lock for a nomination, I'll eat my damn hat. Give that girl a Tony.

@z5
#85Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 2/5/16 at 6:30pm

Reviews don't necessarily dictate how good or bad a show is, hate to break it to you!

Jeffrey Karasarides
#86Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 2/5/16 at 6:36pm

^And I hate to break it to you, but you have no control over whether or not the majority of people agree with you.

Updated On: 2/5/16 at 06:36 PM

woeisme3
#87Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 2/5/16 at 6:41pm

Dames will probably get a choreography nod and nothing more. The competition for Revival of a Musical is really steep this year, and Fiddler, Color Purple, and She Loves Me all seem like locks, not to mention Shuffle Along if the committee approves it

What are your guys's thoughts on Best Musical? Hamilton is obviously a lock, School of Rock looks solid, and unless they royally ****ed up Waitress between ART and Broadway it's probably in too. But that leaves one, possibly two slots left and there's American Psycho, Tuck Everlasting, Bright Star, and Disaster (and nerds, for what that's worth.) Gun to my head I'd say AP and Tuck Everlasting get in based on the fact that they both got okay reviews in london/out of town, but who knows? And there's always the great mystery of Shuffle Along that could either bump something out of this category or bump Spring Awakening out of Revival of a Musical.

Noises Off is definitely a contender. Hilty and Martin seem like pretty safe bets fora  nomination and the production itself'll probably get at least a nomination for Scenic Design and Revival of a Play.

On the subject, will Blackbird be considered for Best Play or Best Revival of a Play? I know there's the classics rule, but I'm not sure if 2005 is past the cutoff for it or not.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#88Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 2/5/16 at 6:47pm

^You forgot about On Your Feet!, which got some pretty good reviews.

As of now, I think Blackbird will be eligible as a revival.

Updated On: 2/5/16 at 06:47 PM

pupscotch
#89Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 2/5/16 at 7:04pm

woeisme3 said: "Dames will probably get a choreography nod and nothing more. The competition for Revival of a Musical is really steep this year, and Fiddler, Color Purple, and She Loves Me all seem like locks, not to mention Shuffle Along if the committee approves it"

And Spring Awakening! Though it may not get a best revival nod, I think we can count on Best Direction and Choreography nods. 

I'd love to see On Your Feet! get nominated for Best Musical, probably alongside AP, Hamilton, SoR, and Waitress. 

@z5
#90Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 2/5/16 at 7:08pm

For some reason, I don't see School of Rock getting Best musical, there are too many others this year, and typically are 4 slots.

CindersGolightly
#91Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 2/5/16 at 7:10pm

For some reason I really don't trust your opinion.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#92Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 2/5/16 at 7:11pm

^I barely even trust anyone here on these threads.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#93Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 2/5/16 at 7:18pm

I'm curious to see how they approach BLACKBIRD. I feel like they'll consider it an original play since it is basically the same production that played Off-Broadway, with the same director and lead actor. If DIVIDING THE ESTATE was ruled as eligible for Best Play, a similar ruling will likely follow for BLACKBIRD.

Oh, and Megan Hilty is one of the strongest candidates to get in for Featured Actress. The role has done well at the Tonys before and Hilty has the reviews and momentum to get the nomination, and I'd consider her a legitimate choice for the win depending on which category people like Jayne Houdyshell and Lupita Nyong'o are placed.

And there's no way Keira Knightley will be remembered for a play and performance with such a chilly reception that opened long before the nominations.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#94Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 2/5/16 at 7:18pm

From friends who saw the reading, and being familiar with the show/his work, I feel fairly certain Christopher Fitzgerald will edge one of the Hamilton guys out of the featured category. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

robbie25
#95Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 2/5/16 at 9:01pm

PLAY

King Charles III

The Humans

Blackbird

Eclipsed

REVIVAL

A View from the Bridge

Noises Off

Crucible

Long Day's Journey

MUSICAL

Hamilton

School of Rock

Waitress

Tuck Everlasting

REVIVAL

Color Purple

Fiddler

She Loves Me

Shuffle Along

woeisme3
#96Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 2/5/16 at 9:42pm

I think Fitzgerald has a great chance of being nominated for Featured Actor as well: it's a meaty role and he's been pretty great in everything I've seen him in (one of the sole redeeming traits of Young Frankenstein). I don't think Hamilton will sweep Featured Actor- there's virtually no buzz around Chris Jackson and Jonathan Groff is only on stage for 10 minutes, really. (Although Katie Finneran won for Promises, Promises a few years back...)

I think Houdyshell is being billed as a lead and I don't see why the committee would change that. Same with Lupita.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#97Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 2/5/16 at 11:51pm

True, Lupita Wyong'o looks to be above the title in the promo images. I imagine she will be a very strong contender in the Lead Actress in a Play category.

I don't see any posters online that show the billing for the cast of THE HUMANS. Is Houdyshell being billed above the title?

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

mariel9 Profile Photo
mariel9
#98Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 2/6/16 at 12:38am

I assumed Lupita is above the title because she's famous. When I saw Eclipsed at the Public, it was a true ensemble piece with no lead. Can someone be a lead just because they're above the title, regardless of the content of the play?

It's a shame if there's no buzz for Chris Jackson. His role is less showy but he's incredible.

Updated On: 2/6/16 at 12:38 AM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#99Tony Nomination Predictions 2015/16
Posted: 2/6/16 at 12:46am

mariel9 said: "Can someone be a leader just because they're above the title, regardless of the content of the play?

If they are above the title, the default is that they are considered the lead. Actors above title can later be placed in the featured category, but it seems unlikely for that to be the case for Lupita. The producers wouldn't petition her for featured, and I doubt the Tony committee would take her OUT of the leading category on their own. Though the piece is largely ensemble-driven as you say, I feel like her part would have to be significantly smaller than it is for them to take her out of leading without the producers petitioning it.