pixeltracker

BCEFA's Gypsy of the Year Collection Period- Page 2

BCEFA's Gypsy of the Year Collection Period

mamaleh
#25BCEFA's Gypsy of the Year Collection Period
Posted: 11/4/15 at 12:34pm

I've seen three different shows' pitches for BC/EFA during the past week (SYLVIA and revisits to CURIOUS INCIDENT and SOMETHING ROTTEN!), and one thing struck me:  While the post-curtain speeches were heartfelt and/or humorous, in keeping with the particular show's tone, none approached the zeal and excitement created when Hugh Jackman offered up items (and sometimes people) for auction.  I don't think any person or production will ever equal the unimaginably high amounts he collected.  If only for that reason, it would be great to have him back on Broadway. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#26BCEFA's Gypsy of the Year Collection Period
Posted: 11/4/15 at 12:39pm

Well, his celebrity has way more to do with that than anything else. They weren't groupies of The River, and Hugh was just a bonus thrown in... plus, it helps when your celebrity friends are there to bid, as well. Like Taylor Swift paying a few grand for his T-shirt the one night, etc.

atuomala Profile Photo
atuomala
#27BCEFA's Gypsy of the Year Collection Period
Posted: 11/4/15 at 3:19pm

Hugh Jackman's star power I'm sure helped more than his enthusiasm. When I saw The River last year during the collection period, the playwright himself was in the audience and donated several thousand dollars.

Also, all of the long running musicals are collecting right now, including The King and I and Spring Awakening.

"Mostly, I loved the size of these people's emotions. Nobody has emotions this size anymore. Outsized emotions. Operatic emotions. Kushemski and Vanda are like Tristan and Isolde, they're Paolo and Francesca. Nobody's in total thrall like this anymore. Nobody's overcome by passion like this, or goes through this kind of rage." Thomas, Venus in Fur

jo
#28BCEFA's Gypsy of the Year Collection Period
Posted: 11/4/15 at 8:35pm

Hugh has always been more than just enthusiastic to help a great cause -- over the years, he has collected millions for BCEFA. One of the funniest incidents ( during Back on Broadway time) was when he actually turned down one enthusiastic hand that went up to bid on the item being auctioned.  During the show, he was breaking the fourth wall in a banter with a front row seater and even gave him the basketball that was a prop in the show.  They became pals!  During the auction, the hand went up to bid!  Hugh feverishly said " Someone, bring his hand down!".  The bidder was a 9-10 year old boy!  Fortunately, his Mom said it was alright for her son to bid in the thousands.

Hugh instead told the young boy to join him after the show so he can sign the basketball.

wink

Updated On: 11/4/15 at 08:35 PM

NewsiesForever Profile Photo
NewsiesForever
#29BCEFA's Gypsy of the Year Collection Period
Posted: 11/4/15 at 9:41pm

Does anybody know if Spring Awakening is collecting and if they are selling cast signed playbills? Do I have to write to the theater? If so who do I address it to and how much is the donation, and who do I make the check out to ? 

VintageSnarker
#30BCEFA's Gypsy of the Year Collection Period
Posted: 11/4/15 at 10:49pm

I guess I admire their optimism but Sylvia might be overreaching with $60 for signed Playbills.

I don't think On Your Feet is doing anything.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#31BCEFA's Gypsy of the Year Collection Period
Posted: 11/4/15 at 10:59pm

NewsiesForever said: "Does anybody know if Spring Awakening is collecting and if they are selling cast signed playbills?"

Collecting, yes. Not sure about merch.

atuomala Profile Photo
atuomala
#32BCEFA's Gypsy of the Year Collection Period
Posted: 11/5/15 at 1:33am

VintageSnarker said: "I guess I admire their optimism but Sylvia might be overreaching with $60 for signed Playbills.

I don't think On Your Feet is doing anything.

$60 for playbills? Maybe they're just trying to take advantage of the fact that Annaleigh Ashford is fresh off her Tony win. Despite having Matthew Broderick and Julie White, I wouldn't consider Sylvia to have an 'all star' cast that would encourage people to pay $60 for signed playbills, even if it's for a good cause.

"Mostly, I loved the size of these people's emotions. Nobody has emotions this size anymore. Outsized emotions. Operatic emotions. Kushemski and Vanda are like Tristan and Isolde, they're Paolo and Francesca. Nobody's in total thrall like this anymore. Nobody's overcome by passion like this, or goes through this kind of rage." Thomas, Venus in Fur

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#33BCEFA's Gypsy of the Year Collection Period
Posted: 11/5/15 at 3:56am

When does the collection period end? I have a few shows I am going to see the 1st week of December

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

atuomala Profile Photo
atuomala
#34BCEFA's Gypsy of the Year Collection Period
Posted: 11/5/15 at 2:20pm

The Gypsy of the Year ceremony will be held on December 7, so, the period may end sometime during the week prior.

Gpvegas
#35BCEFA's Gypsy of the Year Collection Period
Posted: 11/5/15 at 2:38pm

Someone posted you could get a signed playbill for Hamilton for a donation to BCEFA, where is the site you can do this at? Thanks

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#36BCEFA's Gypsy of the Year Collection Period
Posted: 11/5/15 at 2:39pm

I think you just send a request, SASE and a check to the theater. Not sure the amount they require, though. Check the thread on Who Have You Heard Back From or somesuch, they'll know in there.

atuomala Profile Photo
atuomala
#37BCEFA's Gypsy of the Year Collection Period
Posted: 11/5/15 at 3:09pm

Gpvegas said: "Someone posted you could get a signed playbill for Hamilton for a donation to BCEFA, where is the site you can do this at? Thanks "

Just send a letter request, a $40 donation, and a SASE addressed to Hamilton at the Richard Rogers Theatre. They sent me a playbill within days.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#38BCEFA's Gypsy of the Year Collection Period
Posted: 11/5/15 at 3:45pm

If a show is in previews and isn't collecting, will they still have the Carols for a Cure CD on sale? Merch booth maybe?

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

atuomala Profile Photo
atuomala
#39BCEFA's Gypsy of the Year Collection Period
Posted: 11/6/15 at 9:57pm

Any updates on Spring Awakening? I know that they're collecting, but have yet to hear word about any available merch?

#40BCEFA's Gypsy of the Year Collection Period
Posted: 11/7/15 at 1:34pm

Does anyone know if Hamilton is collecting yet? Any signed posters?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#41BCEFA's Gypsy of the Year Collection Period
Posted: 11/7/15 at 1:36pm

On Tuesday, Spring Awakening had a great speech by Krysta Rodriguez (and Ali Stroker) but I don't recall them offering any special merchandise. 

atuomala Profile Photo
atuomala
#42BCEFA's Gypsy of the Year Collection Period
Posted: 11/7/15 at 9:04pm

Therese Raquin is collecting donations, but they are not offering any signed merchandise.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#43BCEFA's Gypsy of the Year Collection Period
Posted: 11/7/15 at 9:12pm

I saw HAMILTON on Thursday night and they did collect.  The only merch was the Carols for a Cure CD.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#44BCEFA's Gypsy of the Year Collection Period
Posted: 11/7/15 at 9:16pm

Does a show like Hamilton, that queues up money selling $40 signed Playbills between collection periods, get to add that to their total during this campaign?

atuomala Profile Photo
atuomala
#45BCEFA's Gypsy of the Year Collection Period
Posted: 11/9/15 at 12:32am

They may only be able to count money received during the collection period, and not before.

atuomala Profile Photo
atuomala
#46BCEFA's Gypsy of the Year Collection Period
Posted: 11/10/15 at 7:17pm

Is The Gin Game collecting donations?

IlanaKeller
#47BCEFA's Gypsy of the Year Collection Period
Posted: 11/10/15 at 7:21pm

"Aladdin" collected on Sunday night -- backstage tours for $2,500 for up to four people (and you get to hold the lamp!), aprons and Carols for a Cure CDs. 

"Wicked" wasn't collecting yet on Sunday afternoon, I believe they may have started today based on a post I saw.

Twitter: @IlanaKeller Latest work: app.com/topic/asbury-park-broadway/

atuomala Profile Photo
atuomala
#48BCEFA's Gypsy of the Year Collection Period
Posted: 11/11/15 at 1:21am

Finding Neverland is collecting donations and is offering the Carols for a Cure CD and cast-signed posters. Prices unknown.

atuomala Profile Photo
atuomala
#49BCEFA's Gypsy of the Year Collection Period
Posted: 11/12/15 at 4:41pm

BUMP