Phyllis Rogers Stone
#25Hamilton January Tickets Sold Out - Help
Posted: 10/28/15 at 4:05pm

Why do you care?

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#26Hamilton January Tickets Sold Out - Help
Posted: 10/28/15 at 4:08pm

gypsy101 said: "Pauly3 said: "Regarding rare Hamilton tickets, what is it about the LEGAL resale market and the understanding of supply & demand that warrants calling someone a thief? 

Probably because it's morally repugnant to buy excess tickets for no purpose other than to profit outrageously, when you could have left them for other customers to buy (instead of gouging them hundreds and hundreds of dollars). So yeah, that person (and many like him who happen to coincidentally have an extra 4 tickets to sell for huge profit) are basically thieves."

Where was it stated that the individual in question bought those four extra tickets for no purpose other than to reap profit? Call me crazy, but might he or she having a change in plans be a possibility? 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#27Hamilton January Tickets Sold Out - Help
Posted: 10/28/15 at 4:23pm

Because the poster is bragging about a "hefty profit".   It's likely he didn't have "four extra tickets".

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Gpvegas
#28Hamilton January Tickets Sold Out - Help
Posted: 10/28/15 at 4:39pm

Since everyone seems to be talking about me and my motives I figured I would respond. I did not buy the tickets with the intent to sell them at all. What happened was I bought the tickets as Christmas gifts. I had seen the show at the Public and loved it. It was sold out at that point at the public and I wanted to take my partner, my sister and SIL. I got 4 tickets and then after I got them it was announced that Lin was not performing on Sundays and I decide to get 4 more for a date during the week when it would be more likely he would be in. I decided I would list the original tickets on Ticketmaster but not for the extremely high price that people currently have the tickets. I never expected them to sell at the price but I figured what the heck and when they didn't sell at my listed price closer to xmas I would lower the price, I was surprised they did sell at a few times what I paid. But am I sorry I did it absolutely not there was nothing illegal about what I did and it is all about supply and demand. Someone paid the price they felt they could.

Updated On: 10/28/15 at 04:39 PM

dramamama611
#29Hamilton January Tickets Sold Out - Help
Posted: 10/28/15 at 4:42pm

(Almost) No one said you did anything illegal.  Immoral is a different story. (a few TIMES what you paid for them??)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Gpvegas
#30Hamilton January Tickets Sold Out - Help
Posted: 10/28/15 at 4:49pm

I do not think what I did is immoral. I did not force anyone to buy the tickets they paid what they felt was fair. Yes a few times what I paid. I did not list them at nearly what most people have tickets listed for

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#31Hamilton January Tickets Sold Out - Help
Posted: 10/28/15 at 4:51pm

I don't see what's immoral about a transaction between two perfectly willing parties. No one was held at gun point to participate, and no one is depending upon Hamilton tickets to survive. Who cares about how people elect to spend their own money?

dramamama611
#32Hamilton January Tickets Sold Out - Help
Posted: 10/28/15 at 4:59pm

I couldn't do it.    I'd sell them for what I paid, plus any fees.  

Just because you didn't sell them for the highest amount that's "out there" doesn't make your decision any more moral.

It's an opinion.   

dramamama611
#33Hamilton January Tickets Sold Out - Help
Posted: 10/28/15 at 5:25pm

Hey, Gpvegas, I didn't bash YOU, I disagreed with something you did.   Plain and simple. (In response to a PM I was sent; but since you don't accept PMs in return, I could not respond in like.)

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#34Hamilton January Tickets Sold Out - Help
Posted: 10/28/15 at 6:01pm

Back to OP's question. Your best bet is to stand in line for SRO or cancellation line. You can enter the lottery too of course. If you stand in line early enough there's a possibility of house seats released. My friend joined the line after she lost the lottery and 3 min to curtain she got a ticket orch row G. It was Sunday so Javilton day. Good luck!

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#35Hamilton January Tickets Sold Out - Help
Posted: 10/28/15 at 6:05pm

lite2shine said: "Back to OP's question. Your best bet is to stand in line for SRO or cancellation line. You can enter the lottery too of course. If you stand in line early enough there's a possibility of house seats released. My friend joined the line after she lost the lottery and 3 min to curtain she got a ticket orch row G. It was Sunday so Javilton day. Good luck!

"

There is no SRO line. Those are sold via lottery. FYI. 

Pauly3
#36Hamilton January Tickets Sold Out - Help
Posted: 10/28/15 at 6:06pm

Why is it OK for the producers of Hamilton to charge relatively high prices for most of their 1300+ seats - 8 shows a week, every week - such prices that will allow them to recoup their investments and make massive profits in record time, but some how it's immoral for the purchaser of a select few of the same seats, seats that were legally purchased and have become even more valuable to the consumer/public, to make a big profit?

GreasedLightning
#37Hamilton January Tickets Sold Out - Help
Posted: 10/28/15 at 6:13pm

Oh Jesus. Here we go. 

BECAUSE, that's not the point of ticket buying. That's not the point of theatre-going. That's just not the point. I'm not saying the source of all this debate bought those tickets for the purposeful reason of reselling them for a profit. I never DID say that. I'm saying that because they did that and are flaunting their "hefty profit" they are taking away from the accessibility (for most) and seem pleased with the profit they made by reselling tickets someone else could have purchased at face value. Or maybe Tocketmaster should instate a policy requiring the max the-sale price should be face-value or less. It just doesn't seem right to me. And it goes against a lot of what Hamilton stands for. (This is despite producer ticket prices. Business is business. I'm talking about loyalty between ticket buyers).

Pauly3
#38Hamilton January Tickets Sold Out - Help
Posted: 10/28/15 at 6:19pm

So it's OK for the producers of Hamilton to go against what Hamilton stands for, but theatre-goers can't?

GreasedLightning
#39Hamilton January Tickets Sold Out - Help
Posted: 10/28/15 at 6:34pm

Pauly3 said: "So it's OK for the producers of Hamilton to go against what Hamilton stands for, but theatre-goers can't?

"

You're talking two entirely different beasts here. YOU are saying the producers of the show should NOT be realizing and taking advantage of the supply and demand of their show, the people who got this thing here in the first place and ensure the costs covered and optimal running of it 8 times a week, but that it's okay for theater goers to take advantage of each other and buy tickets only to resell them to make a profit? I'm talking about morals, not business. 

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#40Hamilton January Tickets Sold Out - Help
Posted: 10/28/15 at 6:42pm

You can get resale tix right on Ticketmaster. They'll cost you a fortune.  Stubhub.

I should have bought a bunch when they went on sale.  I could have made a little profit.... But then again, I'd probably just go see the show again and again.  I'd be ok with that.

Pauly3
#41Hamilton January Tickets Sold Out - Help
Posted: 10/28/15 at 6:47pm

GreasedLightning said: "You're talking two entirely different beasts here. YOU are saying the producers of the show should NOT be realizing and taking advantage of the supply and demand of their show, the people who got this thing here in the first place and ensure the costs covered and optimal running of it 8 times a week, but that it's okay for theater goers to take advantage of each other and buy tickets only to resell them to make a profit? I'm talking about morals, not business."

No, I'm not saying what the producers should or should not do.  Calling one of these beasts a moral issue and the other beast a business is what seems odd.  They don't seem different to me.  Thus the questions (not statements).

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#42Hamilton January Tickets Sold Out - Help
Posted: 10/28/15 at 7:08pm

The notion of selling extra tickets at face value isn't as clear-cut as people make it. I've sometimes had extra tickets to things and have sold them on StubHub, Ticketmaster, etc., and many times when you DO resell something for cost+fees (so that it costs a bit more, but after they take their piece, you break even), I would say at least half the time I did that, the ticket was purchased immediately and then reappeared on the site 10 minutes later with a huge markup.

Even if someone posts on here that they have face value tickets, there is no assurance that that person who grabs them won't just resell them.

So, the notion that ticket buyers should all be on the same side doesn't have any real safeguards. Brokers could monitor this site for tickets pretty easily.

NYfanfromCA Profile Photo
NYfanfromCA
#43Hamilton January Tickets Sold Out - Help
Posted: 10/28/15 at 7:33pm

madbrian said: "Just a thought, but did you try calling the box office and inquiring about seats in the boxes?  I don't see those seats on the ticketing website, so they may only be available directly thought the box office."

I was able to call the box office successfully and talk with a human being there, just last week!  I was asking about box seats and how the partial views were, etc.  The man who answered was helpful.  Yes, box seats must be purchased in person.  If the OP is really desperate to see it in January (like me in December, desperate!), then I would highly recommend looking up a friend in Manhattan and offering him or her a free dinner if he/she will go to the box office for you and buy a box seat for you.  That's what I did :).

Updated On: 10/28/15 at 07:33 PM

maxkko Profile Photo
maxkko
#44Hamilton January Tickets Sold Out - Help
Posted: 10/28/15 at 8:46pm

I may just do that. Do you mind me asking how much the box seats are? Also how much do you miss in the boxes?

NYfanfromCA Profile Photo
NYfanfromCA
#45Hamilton January Tickets Sold Out - Help
Posted: 10/29/15 at 2:34am

maxkko said: "I may just do that. Do you mind me asking how much the box seats are? Also how much do you miss in the boxes?"

They were $167.  I have never sat in box seats, but I know we will miss things on the sides.  It was not my first choice, but the resale prices are out of my price range.  There is a thread on Hamilton box seats if you do a search.  Good luck getting a seat!

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#46Hamilton January Tickets Sold Out - Help
Posted: 10/29/15 at 12:00pm

maxkko said: "I may just do that. Do you mind me asking how much the box seats are? Also how much do you miss in the boxes?

Box seats are however much the regular ticket price is. So it could be $167 or it could be $199, depending on what's happening. And you don't miss much. Just any extreme side action, but you're close  enough to see facial expressions, etc. which you aren't able to see in the rear orchestra. Plus the seats are just chairs (there are three of them) so you can move around to make your angle the best you can.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#47Hamilton January Tickets Sold Out - Help
Posted: 10/29/15 at 1:26pm

I walked over to the box office at lunch to check out the box seat situation. I wanted a pair, and they're sold out until February, the gentleman told me. (You might be able to get singles for sooner, I forgot to ask, sorry!) I opted for a Saturday in February, and I also had the choice of the upper box or the lower one. Price was $177 each. By the way, a young woman was already on the cancellation line at 12:45. She was by her lonesome, at least for now.