ALLEGIANCE Reviews

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#1ALLEGIANCE Reviews
Posted: 11/8/15 at 2:12pm

So sorry this one's coming in so late, guys. Currently home nursing a fever. Sending best wishes and blessings to the Longacre tonight.

Updated On: 11/8/15 at 02:12 PM

HoldMeBatBOy
#2ALLEGIANCE Reviews
Posted: 11/8/15 at 6:09pm

Hope you feel better, Mike!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#3ALLEGIANCE Reviews
Posted: 11/8/15 at 6:50pm

http://www.amny.com/entertainment/allegiance-review-george-takei-musical-sunk-by-score-plot-staging-1.11074867

Opening line: "It's so depressing when a new musical that explores an important historical event turns out to have so many problems." 

Pootie2
Tom Sawyer2
#8ALLEGIANCE Reviews
Posted: 11/8/15 at 9:48pm

I just saw it yesterday and thought it was one of the worst written musicals I have ever seen.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#9ALLEGIANCE Reviews
Posted: 11/8/15 at 9:51pm

"While it's great that an Asian cast is telling a chapter in its own history, it's through an old-fashioned, stereotypical style that's out of touch with where Broadway is going."

-Mark Kennedy, Associated Press

Despite the show's flaws, I enjoyed it on the whole, and I'm rooting for it to succeed. However, as I read the quote above, I can't deny that it really rings true. The show really did feel so generic in a lot of ways, despite the compelling subject matter. 

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#11ALLEGIANCE Reviews
Posted: 11/8/15 at 10:12pm

Tom Sawyer2 said: "I just saw it yesterday and thought it was one of the worst written musicals I have ever seen.

Maybe you could articulate exactly what leads you to that statement, since you have only been on these boards for a few minutes and it would help us appreciate your criteria. "One of the worst?"  Makes me think you simply haven't seen enough musicals!

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

Tom Sawyer2
#13ALLEGIANCE Reviews
Posted: 11/8/15 at 10:16pm

well south pacific had a great story and music . Allegiance did not

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#14ALLEGIANCE Reviews
Posted: 11/8/15 at 10:25pm

I'm surprised Brantley didn't get this one. I'd have been curious to what he thinks of the show. 

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#15ALLEGIANCE Reviews
Posted: 11/8/15 at 10:26pm

I'm still determined to see the show...even with the  not-so-great reviews.    Here's a little something for your fever Limelight.  

ALLEGIANCE Reviews

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 11/8/15 at 10:26 PM

Pootie2
#16ALLEGIANCE Reviews
Posted: 11/8/15 at 10:31pm

Mixed reviews as we expected in the preview thread? (I don't have time to read all of them right now.) There weren't many before/after critiques during previews, but Whizzer's really stood out; I'd be afraid to see the reviews if they had stuck with the first preview. Word-of-mouth on Twitter has been great, and LMM has been giving his public support. Given how visible Hamilton is right now, that's going to count for extra word-of-mouth points, I imagine.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#18ALLEGIANCE Reviews
Posted: 11/8/15 at 10:57pm

Pootie2 said: "Mixed reviews as we expected in the preview thread?"

I would actually go so far as to say this is a negatively reviewed show. It's now effectively out of the running for my 2016 Best Musical nomination predictions. 

Updated On: 11/8/15 at 10:57 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#19ALLEGIANCE Reviews
Posted: 11/8/15 at 11:03pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "It's now effectively out of the running for my 2016 Best Musical nomination predictions."

That's quite a vetting process you have. Waiting for every critic to weigh in before making your decision....

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#20ALLEGIANCE Reviews
Posted: 11/8/15 at 11:05pm

Gotta feel sorry for Takei.This was something personal for him as he lived what was being presented on stage. He put his heart and soul into it. This was very personal to him.He has nothing to hang his head over. 

Wish him  him and all those connected with it best of luck .

Poster Emeritus

Pootie2
#21ALLEGIANCE Reviews
Posted: 11/8/15 at 11:09pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Pootie2 said: "Mixed reviews as we expected in the preview thread?"

I would actually go so far as to say this is a negatively reviewed show. It's now effectively out of the running for my 2016 Best Musical nomination predictions. "

That's too bad, but it'll be interesting to see if the potential tourist base the producers have grown over the years comes out despite that.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#22ALLEGIANCE Reviews
Posted: 11/8/15 at 11:12pm

Had asked this in the previous thread, to no avail. Just curious if the stage is high for this production?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#23ALLEGIANCE Reviews
Posted: 11/8/15 at 11:13pm

Mr Roxy said: "Gotta feel sorry for Takei.This was something personal for him as he lived what was being presented on stage."

Well, half and half. He was in an internment camp, but this is a fictional story, since he was around five years old at the time, not trying to enlist or hook up with a nurse.

ebontoyan
#24ALLEGIANCE Reviews
Posted: 11/8/15 at 11:23pm

No need to feel sorry for Takei, it was his dream to bring this show to Broadway and he fulfilled the dream

Whether the show will succeed or not/Tony considerations will be another story. I think the jury is still out, the reviews that I have read are mixed to positive and a few negatives.  USA Today and  Entertainment Weekly (although not regular theater critics but definitely has more reach to a mainstream type audiences) reviews are mostly positive. And Lin Manuel Miranda has been putting out positive posts about the show and its stars (Takei, Lea, Telly) on social media.

I am very excited to see this show in my next NYC trip in Jan 2016 (along with a 2nd dose of Hamilton!!)

Updated On: 11/8/15 at 11:23 PM

MNC77
#25ALLEGIANCE Reviews
Posted: 11/9/15 at 12:43am

These reviews aren't much worse than the On Your Feet! reviews overall. Unfortunately this show needed the good reviews much more than On Your Feet!