pixeltracker

TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one- Page 3

TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#50TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/13/15 at 10:07am

haterobics said: "Mr Roxy said: "Dames was never on Broadway so how can it be nominated for a revival Tony?"

Didn't we cover all this re: Hedwig?"

And many times before and since. I'd say it's probably the #4 most frequently asked question on this board after "Where should I sit?" "How is the rush?" and "How is the stage-door?"

hork Profile Photo
hork
#51TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/14/15 at 4:38pm

Kad said: "You can debate whether Eliza Hamilton is truly a leading role, but Aaron Burr is inarguably the co-lead of the show. "

I don't disagree (except for the "inarguable" part -- I can see an argument for both sides), I just think their inconsistency is odd. If Burr is a lead, why isn't Judas?

serene_embers
#52TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/15/15 at 2:41pm

I also support Eliza as a lead given the way the show ends.

I don't think the vote between Leslie and Lin will be too split, though.  I'd think (and this is just my opinion) that people would be more likely to vote for Leslie given that Lin will get his Tony for the show as a whole.  I love Lin but hope Leslie wins.  It'll be interesting how it all comes together.  Also love that Austin P. McKenzie will be considered and hopefully nominated.  I just saw SA Thursday and he was WONDERFUL.

Updated On: 11/15/15 at 02:41 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#53TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/15/15 at 3:13pm

serene_embers said: "I don't think the vote between Leslie and Lin will be too split, though.  I'd think (and this is just my opinion) that people would be more likely to vote for Leslie given that Lin will get his Tony for the show as a whole.  I love Lin but hope Leslie wins.  It'll be interesting how it all comes together.  Also love that Austin P. McKenzie will be considered and hopefully nominated.  I just saw SA Thursday and he was WONDERFUL."

Agreed on all counts. I think voters will be cognizant of Lin's deserving of each and every production award, but I think the odds are highly in Leslie's favor in terms of performances. I also strongly hope McKenzie gets a nomination (zero chance for a win, in my opinion, but I so hope he gets a nod).

GreenSharpie Profile Photo
GreenSharpie
#54TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/15/15 at 3:53pm

Agreed as well- Leslie has to win, he is just brilliant in Hamilton. And I sincerely hope Austin McKenzie gets nominated as well. This show is not only his Broadway debut but his theatrical debut, which is just astounding.

I also have hope Sandra Mae Frank will be nominated for Best Actress. Her performance blew me away, she is just so incredibly expressive. Possibly the next Marlee Matlin. Do we think there is any chance she could snag a nomination? Who are all of the predicted Best Actress front-runners?

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#55TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/15/15 at 3:54pm

We should also take Danny Burstein into account since he's gonna be starting performances as Tevye in the new Broadway production of Fiddler on the Roof this Friday. He's been working on Broadway for over 20 years, starting off in secondary/understudy roles before earning his first featured role in The Drowsy Chaperone (as well as his first Tony nomination). He's now been nominated five times, and has yet to win (just the place where Kelli O'Hara was last year).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh9v_7f3A8A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceT97-RiEAU&index=5&list=FLWaIC0i0TlBXruiAwh_SgPw

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#56TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/15/15 at 3:58pm

GreenSharpie said: "I also have hope Sandra Mae Frank will be nominated for Best Actress. Her performance blew me away, she is just so incredibly expressive. Possibly the next Marlee Matlin. Do we think there is any chance she could snag a nomination? Who are all of the predicted Best Actress front-runners?"

Cynthia Erivo, Laura Benanti, Jesse Mueller, Philippa Soo, Lea Salonga,  Ana Villafane, and Audra McDonald will all be vying for a nomination. Sandra Mae Frank will almost certainly be shut out in such a roster of veterans and higher-profile breakout performances.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 11/15/15 at 03:58 PM

Jeffrey Karasarides
#57TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/15/15 at 4:01pm

^I also think the fact that she plays the role with someone who does the voice might hurt her chances as well.

BroadwayConcierge
#58TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/15/15 at 4:07pm

If Odom, Miranda, McKenzie, and Burstein all get noms, who do you think will get the fifth slot? Benjamin Walker? Billy Porter? Brian Stokes Mitchell? George Takei? Zachary Levi? Alex Brightman? Lead Actress is clearly very competitive this year, but Actor is pretty dense as well. 

Updated On: 11/15/15 at 04:07 PM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#59TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/15/15 at 4:19pm

I'm surprised they didn't consider Frank/Boeck (and all the other doubled-roles) to be eligible for joint-nomination. The Side Show case comes to mind. I know it was out of the ordinary, and ultimately didn't happen again for the Side Show revival, but I think it would have actually made more sense for this production Spring Awakening. Each of those roles is truly being played by 2 people, and they both combine their talents to create one unique character. Just my 2 cents. 

Broadwaystar2
#60TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/15/15 at 5:12pm

Any thoughts on featured actor in s musical for the men?

Jeffrey Karasarides
#61TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/15/15 at 5:16pm

^Gavin Creel, Daveed Diggs, Jonathan Groff, Christopher Jackson, Terrence Mann, whoever will be considered featured for Shuffle Along, etc.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#62TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/15/15 at 8:41pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "If Odom, Miranda, McKenzie, and Burstein all get noms, who do you think will get the fifth slot? Benjamin Walker? Billy Porter? Brian Stokes Mitchell? George Takei? Zachary Levi? Alex Brightman? Lead Actress is clearly very competitive this year, but Actor is pretty dense as well. "

Takei, I imagine, would be considered Featured.

I really do not think McKenzie will snag a nomination. It's a very competitive field and he is starring in a show that will be long gone and that simply isn't catching on.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

#63TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/15/15 at 11:04pm

The slot will be as follows

Alex Brightman

Danny Burstein

Lin Manuel Miranda

Leslie Odom Jr.

Benjamin Walker

I don't think Billy Porter is a lead. If Brian is leading, he will get into the slot as well.

serene_embers
#64TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/17/15 at 11:13am

For featured actor I think Daveed and Chris are both a lock for a nomination. I would hope Groff, too...but maybe not. What about Anthony? I really think Daveed deserves the win.

I will continue to hold out hope that Krysta gets a featured actress nom for SA. I know the show will be long gone by then but she was amazing.

BroadwayConcierge
#65TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/17/15 at 11:22am

For Featured, I'm predicting noms will go to Daveed Diggs, Chris Jackson, Jonathan Groff, Gavin Creel, and the fifth to one of the Shuffle Along men. 

Lilly7
#66TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/17/15 at 1:04pm

I actually think Jonathan Groff is more likely to get nomination than Chris Jackson. Whenever there's an article about Hamilton, his name seems to be the second most mention. 

BroadwayConcierge
#67TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/17/15 at 1:29pm

Lilly7 said: "I actually think Jonathan Groff is more likely to get nomination than Chris Jackson. Whenever there's an article about Hamilton, his name seems to be the second most mention. "

I would agree with this. Never forget that Brantley devoted an entire paragraph to Groff in his review.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#68TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/17/15 at 2:53pm

I think Jackson is giving a brilliant and underrated performance - similarly, I think One Last Time is one of the most underrated numbers in the show. I'd rather see him nominated than Groff, but I agree that Groff is more likely based on general consensus. 

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#69TONY Eligibility 2015-16, round one
Posted: 11/17/15 at 3:37pm

I think both Jackson and Groff will get in, and it wouldn't even suprise me to see three HAMILTON men nominated, remember they are no longer limited to five nominees.

I doubt SPRING AWAKENING will be singled out for acting nods. It seems like the kind of show that makes a case for a Tony for Best Ensemble. 

That lead actress category is just insane. Really, we all win when these names and performances are all in the running. I still remember how weak the field was that year that dear Beth Leavel got in for the trainwreck that was BABY IT'S YOU by default. How refreshing to see that hasn't been the case for years now.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Videos