MISERY Reviews

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#25MISERY Reviews
Posted: 11/16/15 at 12:56am

If everyone says the movie is better, seems like paying a lot of money to see the inferior version second is strange, no? I'd say go stage then movie, if you made it this long without seeing the flick.

Sam2
#26MISERY Reviews
Posted: 11/16/15 at 1:07am

Count me in for some popcorn entertainment at the theatre, then. It's been a while since I saw a real 'thriller' on stage,  which doesn't pretend to be anything else other than a pretty cool suspenseful no-brainer. They should just announce a rush, because 60 bucks is quite a lot for something I can watch in my bed on Netflix. (which is also comfy)

Updated On: 11/16/15 at 01:07 AM

iluvtheatertrash
#27MISERY Reviews
Posted: 11/16/15 at 9:44am

It certainly isn't very scary, but how can it be when you already know the entire plot? Regardless, I had a lot of fun. To me, the laughter from the audience wasn't a snickering, mocking kind but the kind by a group of people, genuinely enjoying the experience. It seemed as if everyone was into.

I love the source material and I had a ball here. It's just a great deal of fun. Willis stinks but Metcalfe is so mesmerizingly good that it's a joy to watch. At least for me...

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

chanel
#28MISERY Reviews
Posted: 11/16/15 at 12:00pm

Scroll down to "Whatcha Talkin' Bout, Willis?"

Says Willis, along with Keira Knightley, give the two most recessive performances of the season, acting as if there's a camera in the room.

http://www.out.com/michael-musto/2015/11/16/mario-cantone-feels-sorry-heteros

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#29MISERY Reviews
Posted: 11/16/15 at 12:21pm

Cannot see Bruce Willis threatening Mark Strong for the Tony!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#30MISERY Reviews
Posted: 11/16/15 at 12:39pm

Phantom of London said: "Cannot see Bruce Willis threatening Mark Strong for the Tony!"

Even worse will be when people say he is being snubbed when he isn't nominated, like anyone from Hollywood who lowers themselves to do a show and isn't handed a Tony.

AEA AGMA SM
#31MISERY Reviews
Posted: 11/16/15 at 12:47pm

Snubbed has lost all meaning around here. 

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#32MISERY Reviews
Posted: 11/16/15 at 1:38pm

We all like a little praise-part of human nature but even a small comment--don't like your hair-whatever-hurts.

So how do people[actors] cope with such public crits.and continue on. They must read what others have said, they can't possibly live in a bubble so what do 'they' do to protect their fragile ego-soldier on and say-'fcuk 'em' !

Pootie2
#33MISERY Reviews
Posted: 11/16/15 at 2:11pm

SweetLips said: "We all like a little praise-part of human nature but even a small comment--don't like your hair-whatever-hurts.

So how do people[actors] cope with such public crits.and continue on. They must read what others have said, they can't possibly live in a bubble so what do 'they' do to protect their fragile ego-soldier on and say-'fcuk 'em' !"

Honestly, I think stars like Bruce Willis and Pacino don't give a crap and don't read stuff being said about them unless it's along the lines of defamation. There is so much being said about the big celebrity actors that it becomes noise; I believe their management worries about that more than they do. Besides, they've already been paid for their time (TV/film) and stage work pay isn't going to be a big deal in that respect. If their shows recoup, that's what matters.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

vegas2
#34MISERY Reviews
Posted: 11/16/15 at 3:31pm

Having foolishly bought a ticket for January without waiting for your reports on the previews, I comfort myself with two thoughts: 

(1) I love Laurie Metcalf.

(2) I must be the only person on the planet who hasn't seen the movie.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#35MISERY Reviews
Posted: 11/16/15 at 3:37pm

You are not the only one who has not seen it.

Poster Emeritus

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#36MISERY Reviews
Posted: 11/16/15 at 3:55pm

SweetLips said: "We all like a little praise-part of human nature but even a small comment--don't like your hair-whatever-hurts"

Willis only wishes he was getting complaints about his hair. MISERY Reviews

Sunny11
#37MISERY Reviews
Posted: 11/16/15 at 3:59pm

Bruce Willis has had his ups and downs with critics  (like most actors) for his movies so I'm sure that he Is used to letting the pans roll off his back. He can also console himself by the fact that he likely has earnt more money  from acting than all of the critics combined do from their jobs critiquing actors! 

Updated On: 11/16/15 at 03:59 PM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#38MISERY Reviews
Posted: 11/16/15 at 4:06pm

Up on TodayTix in the 60s now.

Juggalo12
#39MISERY Reviews
Posted: 11/16/15 at 5:35pm

Misery was unanimously SCATHED. From now on, it will be on TKTS, but I wouldn't pay a cent for it, after the reviews I read from critics and audiences. It's a shame. The whole team ruined a good opportunity. I blame Willis and Goldman and Frears. Some of the reviews were among the worst I've ever read since the days of John Simon. Since it's a limited run, it probably won't be closing early, but you never know. 

indytallguy
#40MISERY Reviews
Posted: 11/17/15 at 2:49pm

Juggalo12 said: "Misery was unanimously SCATHED. ] 

"

No, it wasn't. Middling to negative reviews? Yes. But unanimously SCATHED? Nope.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#41MISERY Reviews
Posted: 11/17/15 at 2:54pm

If you go by their cut and paste quotes on social media, it sounds much better reviewed than it was...

"Bruce Willis Shines In This Stylish Thrill Ride" - Newsday.

To be fair, the words "Bruce Willis" "shine" "stylish" and "thrill ride" all appear in the review, but not in that order, or even the same sentence.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#42MISERY Reviews
Posted: 11/17/15 at 2:57pm

Most reviews are praising Metcalf and I think she has a loyal following of theatre fans. While it may not be the sell out hit predicted, I am sure it will sell decently. Audiences are having fun and like the property. I think it was a poor choice for Willis-there's really not much for the character to do.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Sam2
#43MISERY Reviews
Posted: 11/17/15 at 4:21pm

Has anyone spoken with the box office about SRO or rush lately? Wonder if they might have changed their mind with the pretty negative reviews published lately.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#44MISERY Reviews
Posted: 11/17/15 at 4:22pm

SRO policy has always been contingent on the house selling out, which even this past Saturday did not seem to be the case when I looked to gauge my luck in trying...

evic
#45MISERY Reviews
Posted: 11/17/15 at 5:41pm

Of all the critics, Linda Whiner of Newsday would be the last one that I would trust for an opinion.  She is the only one who liked his performance.  What does that tell you about her?  Inept woman.

Pootie2
#46MISERY Reviews
Posted: 11/17/15 at 5:52pm

evic said: "Of all the critics, Linda Whiner of Newsday would be the last one that I would trust for an opinion.  She is the only one who liked his performance.  What does that tell you about her?  Inept woman."

That she has a different opinion? That's not so difficult to infer.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

Jspy86
#47MISERY Reviews
Posted: 11/18/15 at 7:49am

Have any of you met Bruce after a show?  I'm looking into tickets, but I also wanted to know if he signs after matinees and evening performances.  Thank you so much.

evic
#48MISERY Reviews
Posted: 11/18/15 at 7:56am

If 20 critics loathed his performance and she was the only one who raved....yes-that tells me a lot about her capability as a critic.  Sure we all have different opinions- but I am not a professional critic...just critical. I loved the musical Metro- so yes- you are right.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#49MISERY Reviews
Posted: 11/18/15 at 8:39am

Jspy86 said: "Have any of you met Bruce after a show?  I'm looking into tickets, but I also wanted to know if he signs after matinees and evening performances.  Thank you so much."

There have been people who got him to sign after shows, referenced in the previews thread. I doubt he'd be popping out after matinees, though.