pixeltracker

Fiddler on the Roof Previews- Page 5

Fiddler on the Roof Previews

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#100Fiddler on the Roof Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 3:32pm

I never attend first preview performances, as there is quite enough to do just to get a show this large up on its feet, but out-of-town guests were only here for the first night, so we bought tickets and went. I will admit I am not amongst those theatergoers who think that FIDDLER is one of the great musical of the last half of the 20th century. Yes, way better than most, but so much of its enduring appeal is based on the original productidon, featuring Zero Mostel and the amazing Jerome Robbins musical staging. This production has neither. Burstein is a good actor, but from this first shot, he needs to bring more life, more suffering, more humor to the part. Jessica Hecht just seems miscast, having little or none of the sharp humor the role demands. The rest of the cast was just adequate or less. Bart Sher's direction was pretty flaccid at this first performance, but will surely improve in the future. What really needs to improve are the sets. Anyone who saw Boris Aronson's original designs were witness to an expressionistic brilliance that cannot be improved upon. These sets are flimsy drops and pieces that look like the end of a long bus-and-truck tour. Boy, does this show cry out for a turntable.  And perhaps there were actual visible stagehands for some reason that I can't imagine. And why was the Fiddler flown in at one point, a la Peter Pan, without his roof? And why did Burstein come out on stage at the outset and "change" into his Tevye outfit?

I know this will improve in weeks to come (a month of previews still to go), but why charge us the full freight for an unfinished, unrefined work? It's truly not that much different in tone from the original, just a whole lot duller.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#101Fiddler on the Roof Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 3:38pm

jayinchelsea said: "And perhaps there were actual visible stagehands for some reason that I can't imagine."

You can't sort out why there might be a technical hiccup at a first preview?!

DancinMan
#102Fiddler on the Roof Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 4:10pm

Can someone explain the large opening in the deck upstage?

https://instagram.com/p/-VY1ecyFGN/?tagged=fiddlerontheroof

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#103Fiddler on the Roof Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 4:32pm

DancinMan said: "Can someone explain the large opening in the deck upstage?

https://instagram.com/p/-VY1ecyFGN/?tagged=fiddlerontheroof

"

Maybe it's for the sound acoustics in the orchestra pit.

Updated On: 11/21/15 at 04:32 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#104Fiddler on the Roof Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 4:47pm

DancinMan said: "Can someone explain the large opening in the deck upstage?

https://instagram.com/p/-VY1ecyFGN/?tagged=fiddlerontheroof"

Looks like they might want the cast to be able to get right up to the lip of the stage, rather than use all of that space for the orchestra pit, but still wanted them under there with sight lines?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#105Fiddler on the Roof Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 4:52pm

Upstage is the back of the stage not the foot of the stage closest to the audience. That's downstage. The upstage opening is apparently used for entrances.

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#106Fiddler on the Roof Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 5:04pm

Wait, so the Fiddler flies? LOL what the hell kind of production is this? That sucks. And disappointed with the set from the pictures I have seen. And for the love of God PLEASE don't tell me Sher pulled a La Jolla Hunchback 'passion play' with this revival. Ugh.  Anyway, this production sounds like a Hotmess so I'll definitely be getting my ticket! 

Updated On: 11/21/15 at 05:04 PM

FunnyGirl5
#107Fiddler on the Roof Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 5:12pm

Hamilton22 said: "I'm so excited! Sher just direct every Musical (except original ones obviously)! 

But then we would not have Light in the Piazza one of the best musicals I ever saw.

"

Musical Master
#108Fiddler on the Roof Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 5:14pm

A flying Fiddler huh? SOLD! Oh and Hamilton22, haven't you heard of first previews with technical problems? Hence the reason why Danny is getting "dressed for the role" on stage. No? Well then. Updated On: 11/21/15 at 05:14 PM

FunnyGirl5
#109Fiddler on the Roof Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 5:17pm

Shea is a really good director but sometimes he does really strange things.

"

Updated On: 11/21/15 at 05:17 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#110Fiddler on the Roof Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 5:20pm

How does this sound like a hot mess? We have two reports thus far, one very positive and one mixed. And I still don't know what exactly we're getting with this revival.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

CATSNYrevival
#111Fiddler on the Roof Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 5:22pm

Musical Master, the getting dressed on stage bit is part of the show. Sher opens the production in the train station with Danny in modern dress and then he changes into his Tevye costume.

Updated On: 11/21/15 at 05:22 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#112Fiddler on the Roof Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 5:25pm

Cats-

Have you seen the production? Is the concept that Burstein is "returning" to the village of his family?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#113Fiddler on the Roof Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 5:26pm

"Hamilton22, haven't you heard of first previews with technical problems. Hence the reason why Danny is getting "dressed for the role" on stage.. ?"

Is that what he/she meant? I thought they meant that Danny comes on the stage and changes into his Tevye outfit as if he going into his character like Arden did for Quasimodo. I hope that's not what the reviewer meant. 

Updated On: 11/21/15 at 05:26 PM

CATSNYrevival
#114Fiddler on the Roof Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 5:27pm

That's how it was described to me. I haven't seen it. It sounds more like a modern day prologue and then the show is in flashback.

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#115Fiddler on the Roof Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 5:29pm

"Musical Master, the getting dressed on stage bit is part of the show. Sher opens the production in the train station with Danny in modern dress and then he changes into his Tevye costume"

See I was right. Sher is pulling a Hunchback. Sorry but Tevye being in modern clothing doesn't make sense. The whole 'stepping into character" thing has been done so many times. Ugh. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#116Fiddler on the Roof Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 5:31pm

Yes, Barlett Sher is specifically copying Hunchback. Mmhmm. ok.

Updated On: 11/21/15 at 05:31 PM

HighFlyingAdored97 Profile Photo
HighFlyingAdored97
#117Fiddler on the Roof Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 5:31pm

Is Hamilton22 just Philly Pinto? They write exactly the same...

"The city seen from the Queensboro Bridge is always the city seen for the first time, in its first wild promise of all the mystery and the beauty in the world." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Musical Master
#118Fiddler on the Roof Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 5:32pm

Okay look, we all don't know so let's wait until we can see this with our own eyes.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#119Fiddler on the Roof Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 5:37pm

If sher copied Hunchback then sher also copied hundreds of other directors who did they exact same thing before Hunchback began.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#120Fiddler on the Roof Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 5:38pm

Doing the show as a flashback really makes the finale of the show very moot, since it's clear Tevye came out of everything okay if he's in modern clothing. Since Fiddler has one of the saddest and most emotional finales I have ever seen, I really do wonder what was going through Sher's mind. Maybe it will look fine when I see it live but it sounds like Sher is trying too hard be "different" and "creative" and it's all just coming out very forced.. I mean really, a flying Fiddler? Talk about subtlety..

CATSNYrevival
#121Fiddler on the Roof Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 5:49pm

He's also talked about how he wants his production to be "earthy" and "grounded" and he's litterally having actors enter from the floor as if they're rising from the dirt. Subtle indeed. 

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#122Fiddler on the Roof Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 5:52pm

Having the fathers,mothers,sons and daughters all rise from out of the ground in "Tradition" does sound very cool though. 

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#123Fiddler on the Roof Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 5:52pm

I'll be there tonight and will report back.

After The King and I, a show I had never before appreciated, I am very much looking forward to this.

Updated On: 11/21/15 at 05:52 PM

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#124Fiddler on the Roof Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 5:53pm

My curiosity has peaked so I might just show up tonight also. Will report back.