pixeltracker

BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center- Page 2

BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center

#25BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center
Posted: 12/5/15 at 5:19pm

I would like to see it come to Broadway as well. Whoopi Goldberg was attached to it.

acekatherineplumber2 Profile Photo
acekatherineplumber2
#26BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center
Posted: 12/5/15 at 11:01pm

I liked the show, but I didn't love it. I thought some of the music was quite good--there were maybe three standout songs, but I don't have my playbill with me so I can't say which ones. The lyrics were not always the best, but by no means awful! Some times they were trite, but sometimes they were smart. The music worked very well with the story though. I liked the toy train on the set and I liked how the musicians were on stage. Not an elaborate set, but it worked. The design and lighting was good. I was not too keen on this show at intermission, but the second act was much better than the first. The first act dragged quite a bit and didn't balance its comedic and dramatic elements so well. I found myself wondering at certain points why I was to care about the plot. The second act was pretty great though--full of life and much more balanced and it contained better material. Jeff Blumenkrantz and Emily Padgett were terrific in their respective roles! And Carmen Cusack is lovely as Alice Murphy! I thought it was decent, but I'm not really interested in seeing it again. However, it was in great shape for the second day of performances and the audience seemed to REALLY like it. 

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#27BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center
Posted: 12/5/15 at 11:19pm

If anyone would like to share more about Paul Nolan's performance in this,  please do! I feel a tinge of embarrassment when I listen to the  DR. ZHIVAGO cast recording every day, but Paul is outstanding! Looking forward to BRIGHT STAR and more reviews.

broadwayboy223
#28BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center
Posted: 12/5/15 at 11:41pm

^^^No shame! I love Dr. Zhivago!

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#29BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center
Posted: 12/6/15 at 1:42am

Thank you for your support and encouragement, broadwayboy223 :)

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#30BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center
Posted: 12/6/15 at 3:57am

BroadwayConcierge said: "I saw this at The Kennedy Center this week and do not smell Tonys. I wanted to like this show so much. It has a lot of potential, but some pretty significant shortcomings at this point. The score is sweet and folksy, but you can only listen to it for so long before you start to snooze. You crave big notes and don't get them until the eleven o'clock number."

I quit! I give up! Nothing's good enough for anybody else... it seems.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#31BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center
Posted: 12/6/15 at 4:27pm

CindersGolightly said: "Im pleased to hear that Padgett was a highlight for you! Is that song her only big moment? What is her character like? I really love her."

The second-act number was pretty much her big moment—otherwise, her character isn't really all that consequential to the story. She's kind of the foil to the show's drama, which was so needed.

neonlightsxo
#32BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center
Posted: 12/7/15 at 9:39am

I actually do think Bright Star has "root problems." The root problem is it is a melodrama, and the story just isn't that interesting. They can make tweaks all they want but the story is a problem.

BroadwayConcierge
#33BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center
Posted: 12/7/15 at 10:20am

neonlightsxo said: "I actually do think Bright Star has "root problems." The root problem is it is a melodrama, and the story just isn't that interesting. They can make tweaks all they want but the story is a problem."

Agreed. I left the show not particularly moved or thinking about anything in particular. It was more of an "...okay, then..."

Updated On: 12/7/15 at 10:20 AM

TravisOKC
#34BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center
Posted: 12/14/15 at 8:51pm

Saw the show last night and I have nothing but positive things to say about it.   I didn't know anything about the show going into it so I had no expectations.  There was not a moment that I wasn't completely in the story.  The story and music are absolutely beautiful.  Carmen is brilliant in the role of Alice Murphey (I am very happy that she is making her Broadway debut with this role and show) and the rest of the cast is great!  I felt so many different emotions during the show: happiness, anger, sorrow, sadness.   I haven't felt this many emotions in a show since I saw Next To Normal.   The audience was also very invested in the show--not a dry eye in the house.   I can't wait to see how this is received on Broadway.  I think Steve Martin and Edie Brickell really out did themselves with Bright Star.  I definitely think Bright Star will have a special place in Broadway history. 

JaglinSays
#35BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center
Posted: 12/15/15 at 12:36am

But you're nothing more than a shill, darlin'––you just joined this board to post your rave review. 

BroadwayConcierge
#36BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center
Posted: 12/15/15 at 12:43am

TravisOKC said: "I haven't felt this many emotions in a show since I saw Next To Normal."

Well, then, you need to either see more shows or get out into the world a little bit more.

javero Profile Photo
javero
#37BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center
Posted: 12/15/15 at 12:47am

I'm still on the fence about checking it out later this week.  The one deterrent follows.

Performance Timing: Act One - 65 min.; Intermission - 15 min.; Act Two - 55 min.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.

TravisOKC
#38BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center
Posted: 12/15/15 at 1:39am

Updated On: 12/15/15 at 01:39 AM

TravisOKC
#39BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center
Posted: 12/15/15 at 1:48am

Updated On: 12/15/15 at 01:48 AM

TravisOKC
#40BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center
Posted: 12/15/15 at 1:57am

BroadwayConcierge said: "TravisOKC said: "I haven't felt this many emotions in a show since I saw Next To Normal."

Well, then, you need to either see more shows or get out into the world a little bit more.

"

I see shows fairly frequently and I do get out into the world.  Don't know what "get out into the world a little bit more" has to do with this conversation.  For what it is worth I get out quite a bit.    

TravisOKC
#41BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center
Posted: 12/15/15 at 2:01am

JaglinSays said: "But you're nothing more than a shill, darlin'––you just joined this board to post your rave review. 

"

I'm far from a shill.  

I've been reading these boards for years without an account and tonight on my flight back to OKC I decided to post my thoughts on the show! 

Thanks for the warm welcome to the message board community, JaglinSays!

Night, ya'll!!

neonlightsxo
#42BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center
Posted: 12/15/15 at 8:17am

javero said: "I'm still on the fence about checking it out later this week.  The one deterrent follows.

Performance Timing: Act One - 65 min.; Intermission - 15 min.; Act Two - 55 min."

Wait, why is this your deterrent? That's standard for musicals...

Updated On: 12/15/15 at 08:17 AM

Mystic Pasta
#43BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center
Posted: 12/15/15 at 8:44am

I saw the show and love going to the Kennedy Center.  The show is a really well done production of a non-exciting story.  It doesn't cover any new ground and the music all sounds the same.  It could have been written in 1975.  The band is excellent but after 40 minutes all of the score blended together.  I think the show would work better as one act in 90 minutes.  It is very folksy and moves like syrup.    I love Steve Martin but wish he would have added some more humor into a dry book.  I won't spoil the ending but is it a true story?

broadwayboy223
#44BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center
Posted: 12/15/15 at 8:48am

Nice to see someone else from Oklahoma on the boards Travis! I'm really curious to see Bright Star. 

funhamilton_rent
#45BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center
Posted: 12/15/15 at 10:49pm

I saw it at last Sunday's matinee, and I loved it. As another poster said, I went into the show having no clue what it was about, and I was pleasantly surprised. Not a ton of Tony potential, but it could sneak a Best Musical nod if they sharpen it up before Broadway. Carmen as Alice Murphy was by far the best in the show. Paul Nolan was also great! Emily Padgett was good, but not a favorite. The music was very interesting. Steve & Edie did a great job. I thought the story was pretty good, though the ending was predictable. It's kind of a combination of Once and Violet. The Once part is hard to describe, but I think it's the folk-y music. Violet shares many similarities with Bright Star. They both have on-stage bands, they're both in the South, they both have two plots going on at once. Overall, I did enjoy it. If you get a chance to see it, you should. 

funhamilton_rent
#46BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center
Posted: 12/15/15 at 10:49pm

I saw it at last Sunday's matinee, and I loved it. As another poster said, I went into the show having no clue what it was about, and I was pleasantly surprised. Not a ton of Tony potential, but it could sneak a Best Musical nod if they sharpen it up before Broadway. Carmen as Alice Murphy was by far the best in the show. Paul Nolan was also great! Emily Padgett was good, but not a favorite. The music was very interesting. Steve & Edie did a great job. I thought the story was pretty good, though the ending was predictable. It's kind of a combination of Once and Violet. The Once part is hard to describe, but I think it's the folk-y music. Violet shares many similarities with Bright Star. They both have on-stage bands, they're both in the South, they both have two plots going on at once. Overall, I did enjoy it. If you get a chance to see it, you should. 

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#47BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center
Posted: 12/17/15 at 11:20am

Some new production images were released today!

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

freewilma
#48BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center
Posted: 12/18/15 at 7:31am

Washington Post review is 'pretty' decent. http://wapo.st/1Ns4V5a

neonlightsxo
#49BRIGHT STAR (Pre-Broadway) at the Kennedy Center
Posted: 12/18/15 at 9:11am

I certainly wouldn't call that a positive review.