Cabaret Tour

Thparkaly
#25Cabaret Tour
Posted: 2/15/16 at 1:21pm

Updated On: 11/8/17 at 01:21 PM

jimmycurry01
#26Cabaret Tour
Posted: 2/15/16 at 1:29pm

I saw this production on Saturday. I thought it was perfectly wonderful. The cast was really very good. I do have to say that Andrea Goss'  voice was a bit to good for the role, but she really did shine as Sally. Randy Harrison turned in a very solid performance as well. The audience really seemed to enjoy him. The production really is in great shape. 

To answer an earlier question, there is nothing projected on the back wall, it is just lit in a very harsh white light as the show comes to an end. 

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#27Cabaret Tour
Posted: 2/15/16 at 1:47pm

I liked what someone earlier in this thread said about Sally, that she wasn't moving forward because she didn't really want to leave the Kit Kat. I thought that came through very much so in this particular performance.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Sertzo19 Profile Photo
Sertzo19
#28Cabaret Tour
Posted: 2/15/16 at 6:09pm

"Has anybody rushed for it in Chicago? How many tickets have been sold. Where are the seats and how many people have been trying to get tickets?"

Have you looked for tickets on the Hottix site? I've seen tickets for every show since it opened on there and they have a few orchestra tickets at about $43. I'd definitely check the site out every morning/early afternoon to keep track of the tickets they release, that way you don't run the risk of rush tickets not being available if you make the trek out to the theater. I also discovered the other day that the TodayTix app is finally also featuring Chicago Theater! Download it and Cabaret is on there as well. 

I saw the show last Wednesday and I thought it was in great shape. I saw Emma Stone and Alan Cumming during their run together on Broadway. Obviously, Randy will never measure up to Alan, but he was pretty good. He did have a fantastic voice but I get the feeling that he's still struggling maintaining his German accent while singing and acting, especially in the first act. He definitely improves in the second act, and as previously mentioned, his I Don't Care Much is stunning. Andrea as Sally was great. She was a very powerful singer and played a very shrewd Sally in comparison to Emma's more manic and wild creature characterization. While Emma was not the best singer, she succesfully acted her way through every single song and really sold the lyrics and there was always a deep sadness to her Sally that made you just want to reach out and hug her. With Andrea as Sally, you really understand the context behind Mein Herr in every single scene she's in. She's manipulative, powerful and almost fearless in her control of other people. She was actually kind of scary. The set was almost identical to the Studio 54 stage with minor changes to the upper stage. As others also mentioned, the show doesn't feel as intimate as it did on Broadway and the Emcee's audience interaction sometimes feels hollow and always scripted, whereas Alan's interaction always came off as natural. I'd definitely catch the tour! Especially if you've never seen Cabaret on stage, this is definitely the next best thing to seeing it on Broadway. 

Updated On: 2/15/16 at 06:09 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#29Cabaret Tour
Posted: 2/15/16 at 6:16pm

I will definitely check the hottix site.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Call_me_jorge
#30Cabaret Tour
Posted: 2/20/16 at 4:39pm

mpd4165 said: "Call_me_jorge said: "Has anybody rushed for it in Chicago? How many tickets have been sold. Where are the seats and how many people have been trying to get tickets?

"

I rushed for the afternoon performance today. Was able to get three no problem and I was in the mezz center. Really excellent view. 

I think it's a very solid tour, even with the shadow of Alan Cumming still looming in my mind. Randy Harrison is a worthy successor of Emcees and I saw Andrea Goss when she was in for Michelle Williams, but her performance her came off stronger now. I also feel spoiled with the Frauline Schneider's I've seen in productions: First Hollis Resnick, then Linda Emond, and now Shannon Cochran. Her What Would You Do landed with such a punch.  "

What time did you get to the theatre? I'm trying to rush for tomorrow's matinee and I'm wondering if getting there at 1 would be too late.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Call_me_jorge
#31Cabaret Tour
Posted: 2/21/16 at 11:09am

Is anyone at the private bank theatre currently? Is there a like for rush tickets?

Call_me_jorge
#32Cabaret Tour
Posted: 2/21/16 at 7:02pm

So sorry about earlier and spamming this thread. Well I'm not done. I saw the show today and got rush tickets in a very easy fashion, it was my first time getting rush tickets and I was extremely nervous. I've never seen a production of cabaret prior to today and I'm extremely grateful this one we my first. This show is just so remarkable and sandy Harrison and Andrea goss exceeded my expectations. I have no other actors to compare their performances, but they were perfection to my eyes. Also I saw that Leeds hill was in the ensemble and I was extremely surprised that they wouldn't have bumped him up to lead for the tour. The thing I loved most about the show was it was so versatile throughout from when you find out who the friend is to the end is an entire different tone from the rest of the show.One last thing, that ending brought chills and tears running down my spine and face. I just can't help but compare many of the things in the show to what trump is saying and how many are treating Muslims in both American and Europe. It's very in the moment.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#33Cabaret Tour
Posted: 3/14/16 at 9:00am

I was able to get a rush ticket to the final matinee in Louisville yesterday, and I can say I wasn't disappointed. I have obviously heard the big "hits" from the score, and I knew a bit about the storyline, but I had wanted to go in mostly blind as to what I was about to see. I can honestly say (as someone who has never seen a production of Cabaret), that there weren't any weak links in this stellar cast. Randy Harrison turned in a beautiful performance. His list moments on stage were extremely haunting. Andrea Goss was a great Sally. She didn't play the role very vulnerable, which I liked. I got the sense that she is scared of being tied down. She closes her eyes to things around her, and does what she wants. Sharron Cochran gave in incredibly layered performance, almost bringing me to tears. Mark Nelson, was equally as heart breaking. Their final scene really gutted me. Lastly, I wanted to mention a personal standout: Allison Ewing! She was so incredibly funny in her scenes with Shannon, that her decent into the Nazi party is that much more devastating. She didn't get to sing very much, but when she did, I thought she had an incredibly strong voice. As I was looking at my playbill, I noticed she understudies Sally (something I'd love to see). Does anyone know if she has been on yet? Anyway, I highly recommend catching this when and if you can. 

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#34Cabaret Tour
Posted: 7/2/16 at 7:59pm

Saw it today and was....mixed. The show could never lose its power even if you put it in a blender, but this production felt really low wattage. Shannon Cochran was fantastic, but everyone else felt like they were just walking through their roles. Andrea Goss was the biggest perpetrator of this for me. Her Sally Bowles seemed like it was going for the style of Michelle Williams's performance, but she lacked the sensitive texturing and physical confidence to make it all actually work. 

The show is, as always, a highly impressive piece, and even if Mendes's production is heavy-handed, you're allowed a certain lack of subtlety when it comes to Nazi Germany. 

hork Profile Photo
hork
#35Cabaret Tour
Posted: 7/2/16 at 8:09pm

I'm seeing this next month, I'm very excited. I got an amazing seat -- sixth row orchestra, dead center -- for 50 bucks. Can't beat that.

broadwaysfguy
#36Cabaret Tour
Posted: 7/7/16 at 1:16pm

i saw the show in SF on july 5th, after seeing the revival in NYC with michelle williams and  Alan Cumming

I loved the production and staging. I was very close 92nd row of pit), and that helps you feel like you are more "in the cabaret" watching like the round tables they had on the floor of the roundabout.

Randy Williams was a powerful and compelling emcee, copping a lot of alan's interpretation, but also making it more his own emotionally especialy in the second act. I was really concerned about the emcee having seen Alans incredible peroformance and Randy really did a great job

Andrea Goss-i did not get excited about her during the first act. She played sally light and flighty without accessing or sharing what was going on beneath the surface. Good performance of maybe this time, and her accent was consistent and not all over the road like michelle williams was.

In the second act, she dug in more deeply emotionally appropriate to the script, and came out from the curtain to start singing the song cabaret already in tears (i thought they were fake at first), and continued to cry while singing during her performance, which was the most emotional, sad, and heart wrenching version of cabaret ive ever heard...absolutely astounding performance....

Rest of the cast was fine, particularly lee aaron rosen as clifford and shannon cochran as schneider

the band was top notch 19 pieces in total) and the girls were entertaining and appropriately sultry although not at the level of performers i saw at the roundabout

Anyone who says tour casts are as good as broadway with due respect just havent seen enough broadway shows and the accompanying tours  There IS a major difference and I encourage anyone who can afford to to go see the OBCs and original revival casts whenever possible. Occasionally you get lucky like the first book of mormon tour that had gavin creel, but as you go member by member though the cast its just not comparable.....

This tour cast was strong enough imo that i will probably take a second look before it moves on.

get up close if you can

discount tix r available on goldstar

Petralicious Profile Photo
Petralicious
#37Cabaret Tour
Posted: 7/7/16 at 1:47pm

They were lucky to get Miss Goss.  She played Sally under Michelle, Emma and Sierra. I will say has a better voice than all of them

When They Go Low, I Go High

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#38Cabaret Tour
Posted: 7/7/16 at 2:08pm

"Anyone who says tour casts are as good as broadway with due respect just havent seen enough broadway shows and the accompanying tours  There IS a major difference and I encourage anyone who can afford to to go see the OBCs and original revival casts whenever possible. Occasionally you get lucky like the first book of mormon tour that had gavin creel, but as you go member by member though the cast its just not comparable....."

I disagree with this generalization.  I am lucky and privileged that I get to see most Broadway and touring productions.   And the fact is that with most first rate national companies.. the tours are smoother and the casting is beyond  top notch.  What sometimes does not translate on tour is the over the top euphoria that New York audiences bring to the shows; especially during the first months of a run.  

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 7/7/16 at 02:08 PM

broadwaysfguy
#39Cabaret Tour
Posted: 7/7/16 at 11:03pm

hi Dame

I enoy and respect your insights and omments and musical theatre expertise and observations

i'm very curious

What musicals in the past five years did you see both the OBC and the first tour and found the first tour to be as strong or better (you implied such in your post) than the OBC?

blm2323
#40Cabaret Tour
Posted: 7/8/16 at 3:57am

Saw the show tonight in San Francisco after having seen the recent revival twice with both Michelle and Emma. 

Andrea Goss was very powerful in her performance. Her take on the title song was stunning. 

Only big drop in quality I noted from the NYC production was the two ladies number. The actor playing Bobby was weak vocally, but perhaps he was sick? Apparently he never once missed a show in the recent revival. That's impressive!

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#41Cabaret Tour
Posted: 7/14/16 at 2:10pm

broadwaysfguy said: "hi Dame
What musicals in the past five years did you see both the OBC and the first tour and found the first tour to be as strong or better (you implied such in your post) than the OBC?
"

Kinky Boots, Pippin, Cinderella, Book of Mormon, Bridges of Madison, and many more. These just came to mind right away.  

Updated On: 7/14/16 at 02:10 PM

Call_me_jorge
#42Cabaret Tour
Posted: 7/14/16 at 4:07pm

I think seta contracts have surely dampened the quality of the tour compared to the Broadway counterpart. Though there are still some amazing seta tours. Newsies, Kinky Boots and Bridges for instance.

Call_me_jorge
#43Cabaret Tour
Posted: 7/14/16 at 4:07pm

And the cabaret tour too!

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#44Cabaret Tour
Posted: 7/14/16 at 4:58pm

When I see a show both on Broadway and as a presentation of my local touring series, I have found that the Broadway experiences have proved to be the more enjoyable ones the majority of the time and not specifically because of the quality of the productions. My issue with taking in tours in my town is the subscribers who comprise the majority of the audiences. Unless one of the blockbusters like Wicked or Phantom is on the stage, their response to most shows is tepid at best and so much seems lost energy-wise when you're surrounded by people who seemed to be only concerned with being first in line at the restroom at intermission and first out of the theater to their cars before the curtain call starts.

broadwaysfguy
#45Cabaret Tour
Posted: 7/15/16 at 2:28am

hi Dame

I saw all the shows you mentioned except the bridges tour, and the ones you mentioned

I will agree all had excellent first tours,

i just can say honestly the leads and casts of the OBCs were higher caliber singers and actors in every case.. 

BOM was pretty close with gavin creel (although the rest of the leads did not match up) , and of course the pippin tour was rare in having both mathew james thomas and andrea martin from the obc on tour (the touring lead player was nowhere near patinas level)

Someday I hope i see a tour production that surpasses the original broadway cast

I just doubt it based on 30 years of watching broadway and tours, the desire of the best actors to stay in NYC and perform so the best actors get the OBC parts, the economics of tour productions and lack of top actors desire to travel, and the heart and soul actors put into a role when they originate it.

We can agree to disagree and im partially jealous you feel the tours are as good as OBCs-i could save a lot of money and not travel to new york every year if i felt the same as you!!!

all that said, ill still go see the tour of cabaret one more time this weekend, because where you live 3000 miles from nyc you take what you can get, and this was a solid tour production!

broadwaysfguy
#46Cabaret Tour

hi Dame

I saw all the shows you mentioned except the bridges tour, and the ones you mentioned

i just can say honestly the leads and casts of the OBCs were higher caliber singers and actors in every case.. 

BOM was pretty close with gavin creel (although the rest of the leads did not match up) , and of course the pippin tour was rare in having both mathew james thomas and andrea martin from the obc on tour (the touring lead player was nowhere near patinas level)

Someday I hope i see a tour production that surpasses the original broadway cast

I just doubt it based on 30 years of watching broadway and tours, the desire of the best actors to stay in NYC and perform so the best actors get the OBC parts, the economics of tour productions and lack of top actors desire to travel, and the heart and soul actors put into a role when they originate it.

We can agree to disagree and im partially jealous you feel the tours are as good as OBCs-i could save a lot of money and not travel to new york every year if i felt the same as you!!!

all that said, ill still go see the tour of cabaret one more time this weekend, because where you live 3000 miles from nyc you take what you can get, and this was a solid tour production!

broadwaysfguy
#47Cabaret Tour

hi Dame

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#48Cabaret Tour
Posted: 7/15/16 at 5:09pm

I got your opinion on that the very first time you wrote about it and again with your next 3 additional posts.  ( no worries .. that triple posting thing is a hiccup that has happened to all) .  I have a additional 20 years of theater going on top of your 30.  Cabaret Tour  Honestly the whole NYC theater going scene has diminished in unique experience factor for me throughout the years.  And I have found most talent of high quality tours to be equal and at times better.  But it is all a matter of opinion.  

As for audiences that go to tours... yeah the subscription audiences can be a dull affair.    But as I said before.. the NYC audiences can be over enthusiastic and phony.   And as of the last 5 years or so.. one of the worst behaved.   But I guess I am lucky that I get to see most tours in big cities like LA or Chicago and mostly on press or opening nights.  Especially in LA.. it is always a colorful bunch.  

Updated On: 7/15/16 at 05:09 PM

5377brian Profile Photo
5377brian
#49Cabaret Tour
Posted: 7/16/16 at 5:52pm

I'm seeing this in August when it stops here in Los Angeles. I am somewhat concerned about the size of the Pantages Theatre and how/if the intimacy of the show will get lost, but I am excited.

As for the quality of tours, I think it really depends on the production.  I saw the 2nd National Tour of Wicked in February, and the quality far exceeded my expectations.  A friend told me the quality of the tour improved because they incorporated set pieces from the Los Angeles sit down.  

So I guess it really depends.