BLACKBIRD Previews

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#50BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 2:52pm

Anyone have any suggestins re seating? Wondering whether to get front row seats or something further. Also, what time have people been getting out?

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

showman91
#51BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 3:54pm

I'm unsure if it was my seat in the balcony, but I was not a huge fan of the show. I see the emotional impact they were trying for, but don't think they reached it. I'm sure by opening they'll be there. Disclaimer: I've also never been a fan of Michelle Williams and she lived up to my expectations of her. Daniels I thought was great.

Hairspray0901
#52BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/10/16 at 4:56pm

Update: for those asking, I jjust picked up my TDF tickets for tonight. Was given the second to last row of the center orchestra. :) row P. I never seem to get *amazing* seats from TDF but from what I remember this theatre is pretty small compared to most. Looking forward to the show tonight!

Updated On: 2/10/16 at 04:56 PM

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#54BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/13/16 at 10:32am

Saw this last night, and I'm very glad I did. I'm on the fence sometimes with dark topics like this (e.g. while acknowledging that View From The Bridge was *good* I just didn't like it much), but I really liked this one. The performances were incredible, and like someone else said before, I can't imagine having to do this 8 times a week, it's very intense.

I'm always happy when a play is only 9 minutes without intermission, gets me home at a reasonable time BLACKBIRD Previews but with this one in particular there was so much emotion packed into the 90 minutes, it really didn't need to be longer.

Both stagedoored btw. I thought Jeff Daniels was quite hilarious. He's very dry and a bit grumpy but in a adorable and funny way. Like for example he takes the playbill from you to sign, and someone near me didn't reach out to take it back and he could be bothered to locate who it had been. So he said, holding it out "I'm dropping it, I'm dropping it." And when still nobody took it, he did. I was very amused.

Also, it was quite a different SD crowd from your average musical, and not in a good way. People were pretty rude and had never heard of SD etiquette by the looks of it. I appreciate the fangirls more now! A massive guy who had stodd behind (and could comfortably see over my head) cut in front of me when they moved the barricade, didn't even bother so stand sideways, but stood shoulder to shoulder with another big guy, I couldn't even see through between them. Very annoying.

Updated On: 2/13/16 at 10:32 AM

Hairspray0901
#55BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/13/16 at 11:57am

I saw this on Wednesday night and thought it was fantastic due to Jeff Daniels and Michelle Williams who are both giving Tony award WINNING performances. The subject was indeed heavy but so well done. Joe mantello and team were sitting behind my friend and I taking notes. At one point it appears an audience member was hit by a prop (SPOILER below) so I am sure something will change to avoid that in the future. What a great night of theatre. 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

A chair is thrown towards the end and when Michelle threw it, it landed in the front row and appeared to hit the woman sitting there! The whole orchestra, at least my section, gasped. Jeff Daniels picked it up while the woman helped hand it to him and they continued as if nothing happened (which I applaud). I hope they were able to apologize to her after though! 

_IrisTInkerbell
#56BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/13/16 at 12:36pm

Oh, wow! Last night she threw it towards the column, pretty far away from the edge of the stage. The only props we were hit with in the front row were bits of trash BLACKBIRD Previews

On another spoiler note, who is the girl playing his step daughter? She's not listed in the playbill from what I can tell, assuming not to take away the surprise reveals. But curious who she is?

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#57BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/13/16 at 12:39pm

I still think Michelle was ROBBED of a Tony nomination (and win, honestly) for "Cabaret", and I'd be thrilled to see her take one home this season. Even if she'd be going up against my favorite. 

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Hairspray0901
#58BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/13/16 at 12:53pm

_IrisTInkerbell said: "

Oh, wow! Last night she threw it towards the column, pretty far away from the edge of the stage. The only props we were hit with in the front row were bits of trash BLACKBIRD Previews

On another spoiler note, who is the girl playing his step daughter? She's not listed in the playbill from what I can tell, assuming not to take away the surprise reveals. But curious who she is?

"

As we exited the theatre we were given papers with the girls headshot, bio and name. Sophia Anne Caruso. I suppose if they had her in the playbill that would definitely spoil the show! 

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#59BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/13/16 at 1:21pm

Oh, wow,  I didn't know she was involved. She's quickly becoming one of go-to young actors.

_IrisTInkerbell
#60BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/13/16 at 2:02pm

Hairspray0901 said: "_IrisTInkerbell said: "

"

As we exited the theatre we were given papers with the girls headshot, bio and name. Sophia Anne Caruso. I suppose if they had her in the playbill that would definitely spoil the show! 

"

I didn't get one of those BLACKBIRD Previews Must have missed it. But I'm glad they are doing that in theory!

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#61BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/16/16 at 10:47am

I saw the show last night. It's very well done, but I can't say I enjoyed it because it's not really my cup of tea. For those who enjoy an intense theatergoing experience, it's great! Can someone help me with some interpretations of what happened?

FIRST SPOILER REQUEST

FIRST REQUEST: A poster on All That Chat had a comment about Una's consuming. He said that he had seen the production a few years ago, also with Jeff Daniels and, I think, Alison Pill as Una. Una was dressed in a demure looking ensemble. In contrast, he was questioning the decision to clothe Williams in a short skirt. I was struck by the high heels too. The explanation that leaps to my mind is that Una went there in part to seduce Roy or, at least, to resume their relationship, such as it is. Even on an unconscious level.

SECOND SPOILER REQUEST

I was really surprised when the character played by Sophia Anne Caruso came out. Is her character Roy's latest victim? For all his protestations during the play that he's not like "those people," I'm thinking that he is a serial child molester. And Una's reaction to seeing them together seems to confirm this. What do you think?

Our TDF tickets were in Row L of the orchestra on the side. My view was great because the two seats in front of me happened to be empty, but my theater partner wasn't so lucky. The sight lines in the Belasco in the side orchestra aren't always the best.

Updated On: 2/16/16 at 10:47 AM

playbill-love
#62BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/16/16 at 2:02pm

macnyc, here are my responses to your two questions, having seen the show last Wednesday night. I hope I am using the spoiler tags correctly. If not, this is a warning to all not to spoil yourself on this excellent, shocking show if I cannot get them to work correctly.

1) I don't think Una necessarily dressed the way she did with the intent to resume a sexual relationship with Ray. But I do think that it might have had to do with her abuse. She mentions sleeping with something like 80 men, and telling her parents all the nitty gritty details of her sexual encounters. I think this, and almost automatically dressing to look pretty or sexy when going to meet a man are both responses to her sexual abuse. IE, she was inappropriately sexualized as a child, and now she inappropriately sexualizes herself in interactions with men, whether through her behavior, dress, etc.

2) Yes, I think the implication is that the girl is Ray's current or next victim. His lies about telling his adult partner about his abuse of Una prove to be just that - lies - so how are we to believe anything else he tells her: that he isn't "like one of them," that she was his only victim, that he's never felt attraction to another child. I think it's also a case of "doth protest too much" with how intense he was about reading all the books on pedophiles and denying that he was "like them" even though he was sexually attracted to and raped a child.

Updated On: 2/16/16 at 02:02 PM

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#63BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/16/16 at 2:27pm

Thanks, Playbill-love!

And you did use the spoiler tag perfectly.

Here's another spoiler question, based on your response:

I know he told his current partner that he had been in prison, right? What reason did he give for that incarceration? I can't remember now what he said.

Updated On: 2/16/16 at 02:27 PM

_IrisTInkerbell
#64BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/16/16 at 2:52pm

I believe he said that his partner knew all about it, except that he was coming back for Una in the seaside town, but didn't find her. He left the police, and everybody else, under the impression that he had second thoughts and abondoned Una at the B&B.

On the other note, can you really speak of rape if it was consensual? Because following the account Ray gave (and that Una didn't protest against in any way) nothing happened against her will. Is it just a matter of saying that a 12-year old doesn't have a will of her own, that she didn't know what she was getting into? I.e. is it automatically "rape" if the girl is this young, no matter the circumstances?

I left the play under the impression that, as much as Ray did a terrible thing, Una was sexualized even before she met him, and would have probably needed psychological help before, not to speak of after (which I think she did receive, albeit to not much avail)... Following Ray's account that Una didn't rectify, Uno initiated the "romance". If she had been older, you'd say she seduced him. Obviously that doesn't change the fact that Ray shouldn't have been attracted to her, let alone "give in" to it. After all, he was the adult here. But I just not sure he actually sought her out initially, I was inclined to believe him there... Just my thoughts

LarryD2
#65BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/16/16 at 2:57pm

IrisTinkerbell

A 12-year-old cannot legally consent to sex, so yes, in the legal sense, it is rape.

playbill-love
#66BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/16/16 at 4:36pm

I interpreted the "reveal" of his lies at the end to mean that he had not told the spouse/partner about what happened at all, I thought that was addressed in the text but maybe I am imagining it. I thought part of the reveal at the end was that, of course, he hadn't told her any of it.

As for the "was it rape" question, YES when an adult has sex with a 12 year old, it is rape.

petewk87
#67BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/16/16 at 5:04pm

When I went to the box office, I was told that rush tickets were for partial views. Could people confirm/let me know whether rush seats would be good for such an intimate show?

Broadway kid 2
#68BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/16/16 at 9:57pm

petewk87 said: "When I went to the box office, I was told that rush tickets were for partial views. Could people confirm/let me know whether rush seats would be good for such an intimate show?

"

wolfwriter2
#69BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/16/16 at 10:15pm

petewk87 said: "When I went to the box office, I was told that rush tickets were for partial views. Could people confirm/let me know whether rush seats would be good for such an intimate show?

I know some had mentioned mezzanine seats, but we were orchestra row F on the left side aisle. We thought they were great seats and close enough to be totally involved in the play.

petewk87
#70BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/16/16 at 10:27pm

glad to hear that rush seats are quite good! looking forward to seeing the show next time I am in the city. hopefully, it won't be too difficult to get those tickets once the show opens... 

_IrisTInkerbell
#71BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/17/16 at 12:11am

The entire front center row was rush seats the day I went, I think they sell those first and then some random seats throughout the theater?

The front row is I guess slightly obstructed view because you're very close and the stage is quite high, so I had pieces of set obstruct the view of Michelle Williams sometimes, but is was only 2 moments and seeing them so up close definitely made up for it!

grumpyoptimist
#72BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/17/16 at 7:51am

Saw it Sat night and LOVED it; one of the finer two-handers I've seen as far as the blending of performances.  There was a place or two where lines were stepped on a bit or interruptions seemed off a tad, but I have little doubt minor timing issues will be worked out by Opening Night.  Such a compelling night at the theatre

broadwayfan250
#73BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/17/16 at 11:41am

Thinking of buying tickets on TDF, but it says seats may be in the Rear Mezz- did anyone else buy them when it said this, but ended up with Orch seats?

ChiTheaterFan
#74BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/17/16 at 9:38pm

Wow. I just got out and feel like I was hit by a truck. Those were two of the most powerful performances  I can recall. I know we have a lot of talent yet to come this spring but I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of them has to clear some room on the mantle. 

P.S.  For this show they won't let you take ANYTHING from concessions to your seat. Not even water. I think it's fabulous?

can someone tell me how to use the spoiler tag?  I wanted to make a comment about the end but don't know how to hide it. :)

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#75BLACKBIRD Previews
Posted: 2/17/16 at 9:44pm

ChiTheaterFan said: "Wow. I just got out and feel like I was hit by a truck. Those were two of the most powerful performances  I can recall. I know we have a lot of talent yet to come this spring but I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of them has to clear some room on the mantle. 

P.S.  For this show they won't let you take ANYTHING from concessions to your seat. Not even water. I think it's fabulous?

can someone tell me how to use the spoiler tag?  I wanted to make a comment about the end but don't know how to hide it. :)

To use the spoiler tag, when you're composing your post, you click on the little box with the plus sign on it  next to the smiley face. Then, when the spoiler box appears, you type whatever you want right into the box. 

And that's the best I can do after a glass of wine!

Updated On: 2/17/16 at 09:44 PM

Videos