pixeltracker

It's time for a Seussical Revival- Page 2

It's time for a Seussical Revival

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#25It's time for a Seussical Revival
Posted: 2/9/16 at 11:10pm

"It's time for a Seussical revival" said no one ever.

I'm sorry, but that was my first thought after reading the headline of this thread. I think some things are better left unrevived.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#26It's time for a Seussical Revival
Posted: 2/9/16 at 11:12pm

I'm gonna hate myself for saying it, but ggersten's post actually sounds like a pretty compelling opening to this show...

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#27It's time for a Seussical Revival
Posted: 2/9/16 at 11:43pm

At the end of the show the wall at the back of the stage lifts to reveal a white wall and that the cast are victims of some catastrophe or another.

BroadwayMan5
#28It's time for a Seussical Revival
Posted: 2/10/16 at 12:42am

In my opinion, the JR version licensed by MTI is actually better thematically than the full version. It cuts out some of the unnecessary elements and is a tighter, more coherent show. I would love to see a revised revival done. The music is great for that show.

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#29It's time for a Seussical Revival
Posted: 2/10/16 at 2:20am

The Lorax was apart of the show in its Boston tryout  

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/ahrens-flaherty-double-bill-of-musicals-pairs-lorax-and-emperors-new-clothe-141201

icecreambenjamin said: "Jojo has plenty to do throughout the show.  The military plot adds a whole extra hour to the show and it has no real purpose and it's based on a more obscure Seuss story that many don't recognize.  I would prefer to see The Lorax incorporated instead if they were to do rewrites.  Maybe Encores! will decide to do this in the future.

"

AEA AGMA SM
#30It's time for a Seussical Revival
Posted: 2/10/16 at 5:19pm

BroadwayMan5 said: "In my opinion, the JR version licensed by MTI is actually better thematically than the full version. It cuts out some of the unnecessary elements and is a tighter, more coherent show. I would love to see a revised revival done. The music is great for that show."

I believe that the JR version is essentially the same as the TYA version, in which case I absolutely agree with you. The show in its two act form just feels bloated and overlong. The Broadway production, and subsequent tours, even with the revisions, felt overproduced and unfocused. The TYA script, and especially the production done by Theatreworks at the Lortel, directed by Marcia Milgrom Dodge, definitely streamlined the show for the better (and that production is just absolutely charming in its simplicity).

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#31It's time for a Seussical Revival
Posted: 2/10/16 at 5:36pm

I'm not sure if Bartlett Sher would be a good fit for Seussical. Directors who I think would be a much better fit are:

Marc Bruni
Jeff Calhoun
Casey Nicholaw (kind of full circle as he was in the original production)
Diane Paulus
Alex Timbers
Jerry Zaks

Updated On: 2/10/16 at 05:36 PM

Whateverjsays
#32It's time for a Seussical Revival
Posted: 9/25/16 at 11:24am

Revisited the cast recording today, I would love for a revival to happen if it included Christopher Fitzgerald, Brian d'Arcy James, Anna Kendrick and Joshua Colley

hork Profile Photo
hork
#33It's time for a Seussical Revival
Posted: 9/25/16 at 12:27pm

I've never seen it, but thanks to Family Guy it's become synonymous with bad theater in my mind. I always say something is "worse than Seussical" just because I find that line funny for some reason.

persephone88
#34It's time for a Seussical Revival
Posted: 9/25/16 at 12:59pm

The Jr version is a little TOO streamlined, IMO. It barely runs over an hour, and cuts out some nice bits, like the Cat reprising "How Lucky You Are" as well as Having a Hunch. The show does have some lovely songs though, and the Sour Kangaroo has such great belt-it numbers. I think a brief rewrite could do wonders for it.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#35It's time for a Seussical Revival
Posted: 9/25/16 at 2:14pm

I'll actually be helming a new production of this, to open this winter. With how dark and dreary the world is, we all need that escapism right about now, so, I'm certainly looking forward to providing it. Will keep you all posted. 

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#36It's time for a Seussical Revival
Posted: 9/25/16 at 2:47pm

It's never time for a Seussical revival.

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

Videos