Dream Encores! Concerts

broadwayboy223
#50Dream Encores! Concerts
Posted: 3/29/16 at 6:30pm

Grass Harp has a beautiful score! Didn't roundabout do a workshop of Rags in 2013 with Jessie Muller? What happened to that?

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#51Dream Encores! Concerts
Posted: 3/30/16 at 6:20am

Another vote for "Once on this Island."   I'd like to see "Chess" as well.

maxkko Profile Photo
maxkko
#52Dream Encores! Concerts
Posted: 3/30/16 at 8:02am

I'd love to see Taboo done. I love that show so much.

Inigomontoya
#53Dream Encores! Concerts
Posted: 3/30/16 at 10:36am

Any chance for a show like Reuben, Reuben to be presented in the near future?

Jallenc32
#54Dream Encores! Concerts
Posted: 3/30/16 at 11:27am

I'd love to see them do Donnybrook! and Zip Goes a Million.  Donnybrook! did have that revival at the Irish Rep a couple years ago but they made some changes to the score which didn't help the show at all.

The other thing I've been thinking about lately is something similar to Encores for international shows that could never sustain a run in this country (kind of like the Kristina concert from a few years ago).  Obviously there'd be the added expense and work of translations for non-English lyrics, but I think it would be a worthy addition to Encores and Off-Center.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#55Dream Encores! Concerts
Posted: 3/30/16 at 11:40am

I think there are issues with a lot of the shows being suggested here -- meaning, I think many have been floated for years, but there is resistance from the Estates, authors, etc.

Also, Encores only currently does shows that actually played ON Broadway. So if it closed out of town or played Off Broadway, they aren't eligible for their MainStage series.

There is a theatre company in Dallas Texas called Lyric Stage that has made a reputation for doing full scale revivals of some of these obscure shows - usually with a huge orchestra. They did THE GOLDEN APPLE and FLORA THE RED MENACE recently so I wouldn't be surprised if those finally ended up at Encores since the orchestra scores have just been restored etc.

I'd love to see THE GRASS HARP -- that seems ideal. How about Stephanie Block as Babylove! Judy Kuhn in the Barbara Cook role!

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 3/30/16 at 11:40 AM

rikem
#56Dream Encores! Concerts
Posted: 3/30/16 at 12:41pm

The other thing I've been thinking about lately is something similar to Encores for international shows that could never sustain a run in this country (kind of like the Kristina concert from a few years ago).  Obviously there'd be the added expense and work of translations for non-English lyrics, but I think it would be a worthy addition to Encores and Off-Center.

Except that this is not in any way, shape or form what Encores exists to do.

rikem
#57Dream Encores! Concerts
Posted: 3/30/16 at 12:42pm

Inigomontoya said: "Any chance for a show like Reuben, Reuben to be presented in the near future?

NOPE.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#58Dream Encores! Concerts
Posted: 3/30/16 at 12:53pm

Another vote for The Grass Harp. Great score and a shame the composing team did not try again. Missed it during original run due to its quick closing. Really enjoy the score.

Poster Emeritus

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#59Dream Encores! Concerts
Posted: 3/30/16 at 1:01pm

Pleasures and Palaces has quickly moved to my #1 choice.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#60Dream Encores! Concerts
Posted: 3/30/16 at 1:18pm

Encores could not do Pleasures as it closed out of town. There should be concert versions of shows such as these and/or ones that did a really quick fold on Broadway like : Via Galactica, Here's Where I Belong, Gantry , Ari, Angel etc etc

Poster Emeritus

nycncbrguy
#61Dream Encores! Concerts
Posted: 3/30/16 at 2:10pm

I would love to see Encores! Concerts do Kiss of the Spider Woman. Starring Jeremy Jordan as Molina, Ramin Karimloo as Valentin and Bianca Marroquin as the Spider Woman/Aurora!

Updated On: 3/30/16 at 02:10 PM

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#62Dream Encores! Concerts
Posted: 3/30/16 at 2:21pm

I know it's been suggested in another thread on this topic, but I would LOVE to see Darling of the Day, particularly with a pairing like Jefferson Mays and Kate Baldwin. I'd also really like to see LuPone do Call Me Madam.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad