pixeltracker

The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)- Page 2

The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)

SLSigafoos
#25The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 2/19/16 at 12:46pm

Yes, 90 mins, no intermission. I would say that it worked just right in terms of length, though I wouldn't have protested two 45-min acts with a 10-min or so intermission. 

shanphelia Profile Photo
shanphelia
#26The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 2/19/16 at 12:47pm

I saw this last night and absolutely enjoyed myself.  It's a very immersive, slightly raucous sort of environment, with the cast, band, and set all pulling the audience in to the action. I wasn't familiar with the material going in, outside of knowing it was generally bluegrass, and I quite liked it, especially the feeling of a group jamboree going on.  Like others, I was a bit surprised at the lack of really big numbers for Pasquale, who was the big draw for me, but he was utterly charming in the role and in great voice, and he worked so well as part of the ensemble.  The cast manipulated the set in very clever ways to mimic actions and setting, with a moonlight journey through the woods being particularly effective.  Leslie Kritzer was quite funny and very over the top as Salome -- I really enjoyed her performance last night but I could see where this performance could get pushed too far if she ramps it up any further.  Overall, the cast seemed to be having an amazing amount of fun, and this was infectious.  The story seems to wrap up surprisingly quickly -- but on the whole I think show benefits from being short and quickly paced.  It is indeed only 90 minutes, with no intermission.  Will be going back to see it again!

Updated On: 2/19/16 at 12:47 PM

TweetyPie2 Profile Photo
TweetyPie2
#27The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 2/19/16 at 1:10pm

Well, this sounds good. Looking forward to it. 

What I want to know is, who is TweetyPie1?

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#28The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 2/19/16 at 1:20pm

Thanks for the comments so far!

I'm seeing this tonight from the Access10 section, and I'm curious to see how the show plays to the "cheap seats." I'll post my impressions after the show.

mamaleh
#29The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 2/19/16 at 1:28pm

I saw it from an Access10 second-to-last row (side) seat, and the view was excellent in that small theater.  

MarsBars
#30The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 2/19/16 at 6:01pm

Surprised no one has yet answered my earlier question about if Ahan O'Reilly or Leslie Kritzer get naked.  I ask not for prurient reasons since I won't get to the show anyway, but just out of curiosity, since much as been made historically, here on this site and elsewhere, about how the original two productions in the 70s were two of the first mainstream shows, coming off of the shock factor in Hair and Oh Calcutta, to use nudity in an erotic tasteful and artistic way.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#31The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 2/19/16 at 11:09pm

Okay, okay, the topic is nudity. SLIGHT SPOILER!!! Ahna O'Reilly does get robbed of her dress and her undies in an unfortunate event in the woods. Her breasts are covered up by long locks of hair, and her other parts are hidden by a well-placed evergreen frond, held by a cast member. It was quite the comical sight! I didn't see Leslie Kritzer get naked. END SLIGHT SPOILER

Very enjoyable show! It's funny and lively, with plenty of high-spirited action. I didn't know what to expect. I am a casual fan of bluegrass. I thought the score was very good, varied and expressive. If you absolutely hate bluegrass, you will have a different opinion. The show was filled with clever bits that took me by surprise and often-beautiful stage effects, rendered very simply with ropes, boards, etc. Yes, it's very reminiscent of Peter and the Starcatcher, as other posters have said. Steven Pasquale sounded wonderful, as always. Ahna is a very charming ingenue type and sings beautifully. Greg Hildreth as Goat is another standout.

The music was provided by a small and tight onstage band, who occasionally took part in the action.

The lighting was absolutely beautiful. The space was filled with hanging mason jars filled with flickering "candles."

I liked the view from the mezzanine. We were in Row B, all the way on the side. Great view! I imagine the center mezzanine is a bit better, but no complaints. 

Great job, Roundabout!

Updated On: 2/19/16 at 11:09 PM

Ludlow29 Profile Photo
Ludlow29
#32The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 2/20/16 at 9:59am

I assisted on the original production at St. Clement's and was there when Rosamund's nude scene was first staged.  The beautiful Rhonda Coullet had already appeared in HAIR, so doing the scene was no big deal for her (but very exciting for ME to witness).  Susan Berger as Salome originally had a death scene right out of the novella—where Salome dances to death, naked under the hot sun (Actually Susan was only topless).  The character's death scene was revised to a non-nude situation in subsequent productions.  BTW, neither Kevin Klein or Barry Bostwick was the original Jamie Lockhart (though Klein auditioned and Bostwick was approached but unavailable).  Believe it or not, it was Raul Julia.  I feature a section about the original version in my book "The Algonquin Kid: Adventures Growing Up at New York's Legendary Hotel." - Michael Colby

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#33The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 2/20/16 at 10:21am

Was anything cut from the original? Not sure if it originally was 90 minutes as it was quite some time ago for the original production.

Poster Emeritus

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#34The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 2/20/16 at 10:45am

Nothing has been cut. It is simply performed without an intermission. The original production was performed with an intermission but was still under 2 hours.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#35The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 2/20/16 at 10:49am

Thanks for the info.

Poster Emeritus

Wilmingtom
#36The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 2/20/16 at 11:30am

Several of you have mentioned that the cast seem to be having a great time.  Having worked on two productions of the musical, I can attest to the fact that it's great fun to be a part of.  But in both cases I couldn't escape the feeling that the company was having more fun than the audience.  It's not, nor does it pretend to be, a top-tier musical although it has its charms.  I haven't seen this production but cutting the intermission was a terrific idea.  I'm sure it makes the evening seem less belabored.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#37The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 2/20/16 at 2:59pm

Yes, I thought it was fine without an intermission. 

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#38The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 2/20/16 at 3:49pm

Hey macync, were you on the left side of the house last night?  I was in row C in seats 9 and 11 right against the rail.  

I can post more thoughts later, but I agree with the overall sentiment expressed so far that it's a fun evening at the theatre with a really energetic, enthusiastic, and talented ensemble and orchestra. In the first fifteen minutes or so, I had a hard time determining if I was going to be laughing with the show or at the show, the latter which I did at Roundabout's Old Times earlier in the season, but it eventually won me over. $10 well spent, thanks to Access 10. 

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#39The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 2/20/16 at 4:19pm

Yes, that was me! But I wasn't on the end; I was in the third seat from the end. 

I'm wondering if the show has been cut or not. In this production, Salome doesn't have a death scene, topless or otherwise. So if there was one in previous versions, it was cut. 

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#40The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 2/20/16 at 11:34pm

I was there tonight and thought it was good. I liked the direction, which was very similar to Peter and the Starcatcher (stagingwise). It is very much an ensemble piece and I thought each member brought something good to the team. My favorites were Pasquale, Kritzer, and Durand. I'm not the biggest fan of the music style of the show, so that was the only thing I really didnt like. Other than that, I'd say don't run to see it, but if you get a chance, stop by  It started at 7:30 and ended at 9:17, no intermission. 

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#41The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 2/21/16 at 3:05am

It is probably not fair of me to judge the rehearsal promo but I thought Pasqual looked a little constipated. But to be fair he is I believe one of the finest musical theatre performers of his generation. Some of the Secret Garden promos struck me as odd as well but I think it had to do with some of the camera work.

When On Stage does Encores promos I always feel like it works against my enthusiasm because the rehearsals are so early on. I almost think it works against the publicity unless there is a number like They Call The Wind Maria that is headed towards a performance level. I'd rather they just talk to some of the performers and production staff.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#42The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 2/21/16 at 7:12am

I've worked on this show several times, and it seems to me that even without an intermission, it should run significantly longer than 90 minutes if all the material is being used. I imagine there must be some cuts - for instance, there have been several comments about Jamie Lockhart, as played by Pasquale, not seeming like the lead. But in the script and score (as published/licensed), Lockhart is front and center much more often than not.

The comment about Salome not having a death scene is also perplexing; I had never heard of an earlier version where she danced herself to death, topless (which makes no sense in the the published storyline), but here's what specifically happens:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Little Harp, to get revenge on Jamie, decides to kill the woman he loves; in a case of mistaken identity, he thinks Salome is Jamie's woman. During the production number "Goodbye, Salome," he convinces her to get into a sack, and then throws her off a cliff to her death. If done as written, there should be no confusion that Salome is quite dead, and the audience has seen it happen.

I suspect that this is a slightly trimmed Robber; for instance, are all the transition square dance calls performed? Many people who don't quite get the show cut them. Is the Raven heavily featured? Do Goat's mother and sister get stage time? Does anyone have a song list?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#43The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 2/21/16 at 7:40am

I was in a stock production of The Robber Bridegroom with original national tour leads Tom Wopat and Barbara Marineau. Tom was every inch the star and leading man in the role of Jaimie Lockart (and quite good). And Barbara was a delight as Rosamund. What I mostly remember about it, other than the unique score and staging concept, is the quirky humor. I loved being in it and have very fond memories of it.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#44The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 2/21/16 at 8:50am

Regarding Salome's death scene:

There is a death scene. "Goodbye Salome" is her death scene. Little Harp takes her in the sack then they run her offstage and replace her with a sack with a body doll in it, which they literally throw to the floor and kick around. Then they throw her off the cliff.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#45The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 2/21/16 at 10:21am

Yes, I did see that scene, sorry for the confusion. 

I guess I wasn't thinking in terms of it being a death scene because I didn't see her die, actually. The stage business with the rolled-up carpet was hilarious, and I guess I was laughing too hard to realize she wasn't walking out of the scene. 

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#46The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 2/21/16 at 10:57pm

Can anyone comment on the view from the rear side orchestra HIPTIX seats? If the performance I am looking at seems to have plentiful availability in both row P & Q, does anyone have any suggestion on where exactly to sit for this? 

holdyourbatboy
#47The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 2/26/16 at 10:00am

Was at the show last night and it was unexpectedly wonderful. Charming, fun, hilarious, magical at parts. Timbers staging is VERY Starcatcher, which isn't a bad thing in my book. It was just delightful from beginning to end. 

Lesie Kritzer walks away with the show. Timbers lets her go wild, and she stopped the show multiple times with uproarious laughter from the audience. It reminds me of why she was so acclaimed when she first came on to the scene. 

Pasquale's singing is as phenomenal as you'd expect. Great casting. 

Delightful, charming, FUN. Don't miss this one. 

Mr. Musical Profile Photo
Mr. Musical
#48The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 2/26/16 at 10:26am

GreasedLightning said: "Can anyone comment on the view from the rear side orchestra HIPTIX seats? If the performance I am looking at seems to have plentiful availability in both row P & Q, does anyone have any suggestion on where exactly to sit for this? 

"

I was in Q on the house left side and had a phenomenal view

SLSigafoos
#49The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)
Posted: 2/26/16 at 10:40am

You'll be fine no matter where you sit. We had Row J and I felt like we were right up front. It's such an intimate venue. I can't imagine there's a bad seat in the house.