pixeltracker

First Preview of NERDS has been canceled - Page 4

First Preview of NERDS has been canceled

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#75First Preview of NERDS has been canceled
Posted: 2/19/16 at 8:24pm

Aah yes, Tony Award nominee Chad Kimball. Just who the masses have been clamoring to have back on the Broadway stage. Does he still have vocal cords or did they run for the hills after all the abuse they took in Memphis?

two ladies tickets
#76First Preview of NERDS has been canceled
Posted: 2/19/16 at 9:04pm

Well, I suppose the good news is that Chad Kimball misses a lot of shows, so whoever they hire to cover him will get to go on a lot and show off their talents, this is provided that they do more than a couple weeks of performances. 

10086sunset
#77First Preview of NERDS has been canceled
Posted: 2/22/16 at 10:25am

They got a cast announcement. 

This has some real train wreck  potential.

neonlightsxo
#78First Preview of NERDS has been canceled
Posted: 2/22/16 at 10:28am

I feel bad that such people like Patti, Lindsay, and Rory are attached to this. They're all so talented and they can't find better work?

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
10086sunset
#80First Preview of NERDS has been canceled
Posted: 2/22/16 at 10:35am

neonlightsxo said: "I feel bad that such people like Patti, Lindsay, and Rory are attached to this. They're all so talented and they can't find better work?

Agreed.

Scarywarhol
#81First Preview of NERDS has been canceled
Posted: 2/22/16 at 10:38am

if you are a performer and can discriminate as to what Broadway musicals you take part in, you are in a very elite group.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#82First Preview of NERDS has been canceled
Posted: 2/22/16 at 10:43am

It's all about paying the bills, people. It's a very, very short list of Broadway performers who are in a position to turn down a show of a quality they consider too low. Pretty interesting, even maybe great cast—even though this won't be anything but a flop.

Updated On: 2/22/16 at 10:43 AM

Scarywarhol
#83First Preview of NERDS has been canceled
Posted: 2/22/16 at 10:48am

I hope it somehow is a massive surprise, but that won't happen if they don't start marketing the show yesterday. On a personal level, I have a very hard time getting past the title. 

Updated On: 2/22/16 at 10:48 AM

neonlightsxo
#84First Preview of NERDS has been canceled
Posted: 2/22/16 at 10:48am

Oh, I'm aware. That doesn't make it any less depressing.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#85First Preview of NERDS has been canceled
Posted: 2/22/16 at 10:49am

I'm...depressed. This cast is so good. It's so good. I....am so sad.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

neonlightsxo
#86First Preview of NERDS has been canceled
Posted: 2/22/16 at 10:52am

Scarywarhol said: "I hope it somehow it is a massive surprise, but that won't happen if they don't start marketing the show yesterday. On a personal level, I have a very hard time getting past the title. "

Agreed on both counts.

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#87First Preview of NERDS has been canceled
Posted: 2/22/16 at 11:06am

This will have a closing notice posted by the week after opening night (if not by opening night itself)>

Broadway World's Fireman.

10086sunset
#88First Preview of NERDS has been canceled
Posted: 2/22/16 at 11:09am

Yes, a long run seems unlikely.

Will see it in previews and hope for the best.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#89First Preview of NERDS has been canceled
Posted: 2/22/16 at 11:18am

Scarywarhol said: "http://www.theatermania.com/broadway/news/nerds-broadway-casting-omalley-murin-mendez_76040.html

Do they have an ad agency yet?"

I believe it's Serino/Coyne.

neonlightsxo
#90First Preview of NERDS has been canceled
Posted: 2/22/16 at 11:28am

Then where are the ads?

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#91First Preview of NERDS has been canceled
Posted: 2/22/16 at 12:10pm

neonlightsxo said: "Then where are the ads?"

*shrugs*

Every show has their own advertising and marketing plan. Maybe they decided to not really do anything until after the cast is announced. As the cast is generating buzz, they want to push off from there with their advertising and marketing. 

Also, according to their Twitter (https://twitter.com/NerdsMusical), they started rehearsals today. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#92First Preview of NERDS has been canceled
Posted: 2/22/16 at 12:14pm

Nerds and Disaster should swap titles- Disaster is skewing toward theater nerds and Nerds is already a disaster. 

From from their Twitter, it seems Rory O'Malley and Bryan Fenkart are the leads. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 2/22/16 at 12:14 PM

neonlightsxo
#93First Preview of NERDS has been canceled
Posted: 2/22/16 at 12:48pm

sorano, is there a reason why you're defending them? Are you involved with the show? Because it's pretty clear they've made a lot of bad choices that aren't worth justifying.

"As the cast is generating buzz"

...is it?

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#94First Preview of NERDS has been canceled
Posted: 2/22/16 at 1:27pm

neonlightsxo said: "sorano, is there a reason why you're defending them? Are you involved with the show? Because it's pretty clear they've made a lot of bad choices that aren't worth justifying.

"As the cast is generating buzz"

...is it?"

No. I'm in no way in involved with the show. I have no opinion about the show. I don't think I was defending them either. 

Someone asked who the agency was and I said that I think that it's Serino Coyne. You asked why there weren't any ads. I used to work within the theatrical advertising/marketing world so I was just giving my opinion on reasons why there weren't any ads.

I remember us (the agency I used to work for) sometimes doing very little advertising and marketing for a show before the cast was announced. And yeah, I'm using "generating buzz" loosely. It's getting hits on the theatre websites as well as their social media and people are even talking about it here.

Pootie2
#95First Preview of NERDS has been canceled
Posted: 2/22/16 at 1:59pm

sorano916 said: "No. I'm in no way in involved with the show. I have no opinion about the show. I don't think I was defending them either. 

Someone asked who the agency was and I said that I think that it's Serino Coyne. You asked why there weren't any ads. I used to work within the theatrical advertising/marketing world so I was just giving my opinion on reasons why there weren't any ads.

I remember us (the agency I used to work for) sometimes doing very little advertising and marketing for a show before the cast was announced. And yeah, I'm using "generating buzz" loosely. It's getting hits on the theatre websites as well as their social media and people are even talking about it here."

I didn't think you were defending their clear lack of activity either; I assumed they wouldn't start marketing until they got the cast nailed down as well, but it's so late in the process. The only "buzz" is on this board and maybe the other one, in only a couple threads, while they have barely 1k followers on social media as far as I can tell. It's more of a "blip" than buzz at this point. I don't know how they can get tourists in, who buy tickets in advance (so marketing probably helps more there when there isn't real word-of-mouth), but it's also the off-season.

Meanwhile, their website finally got out of "beta" status, but there is still NO other information besides the newly listed creative team and link to Telecharge.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#96First Preview of NERDS has been canceled
Posted: 2/22/16 at 3:06pm

And it looks like an ad for a Warby Parker knockoff.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#97First Preview of NERDS has been canceled
Posted: 2/22/16 at 3:37pm

I don't hate the new look but it doesn't scream "musical comedy." But eh. I like all these performers, so I'm excited to see it. Just hope the music lets them show off their voices. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#98First Preview of NERDS has been canceled
Posted: 2/22/16 at 3:37pm

Guess Kimball isn't in this? Fenkart played Huey on tour, so maybe he's the Chad Kimball type, but comes cheaper? 

10086sunset
#99First Preview of NERDS has been canceled
Posted: 2/22/16 at 3:43pm

Is this getting staged because the music was written by a Jujamcyn executive?