pixeltracker

SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances - Page 5

SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#100SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 3/12/16 at 10:39pm

From Brightman's blurb: "If I feel something coming on, a tickle in my throat — even if it’s a piece of popcorn — I’ll drink a little extra grapefruit juice, steam a little more and shoot Afrin in my nose just to make sure my body knows that I’m in charge."

Hope he's not using Afrin super regularly. That stuff is good to get you through a day when you absolutely cannot afford to be congested but it's pretty damaging if used regularly.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#101SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 3/12/16 at 10:48pm

I will defend Murphy - as I will Benanti. There are circumstances beyond the control of actors and often producers twist things around.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

Pootie2
#103SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 3/12/16 at 11:32pm

NJ_BroadwayGirl said: "From Brightman's blurb: "If I feel something coming on, a tickle in my throat — even if it’s a piece of popcorn — I’ll drink a little extra grapefruit juice, steam a little more and shoot Afrin in my nose just to make sure my body knows that I’m in charge."

Hope he's not using Afrin super regularly. That stuff is good to get you through a day when you absolutely cannot afford to be congested but it's pretty damaging if used regularly."

Oh dear lord. Normally I just roll my eyes at all the various desperate and weird attempts to self-manage pre-illness (if someone wants to eat sixteen oranges a day in a painful yoga position to avoid that cold virus, fine, whatever), but drugs are not to be trifled with. Lost effectiveness when overused, producing other side effects and long-term damage as you say. And that's not even mentioning addiction potential in a number of drugs. Anyway: Rebound congestion, Alex.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#104SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 3/13/16 at 12:50am

Most of the hours of your day are done thinking about your show and making yourself good for your show and so I try to treat my body like it is sick all the time.

Speaking as a singer, this is...wrong. Being careful is necessary, especially when doing 8 shows a week, but treating your body like it's sick all the time? ...what?

Pootie2
#105SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 3/13/16 at 12:57am

^It's the same thing with people being obsessed with extreme "detox" treatments. That's not how your body works or what it needs. At the very least these people should take physiology courses.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

10086sunset
#106SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 3/13/16 at 7:57am

Happy to read he finally has a set schedule.

neonlightsxo
#107SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 3/17/16 at 4:15pm

If one wanted to catch Brightman's performance, which day would be the safest bet? Tuesday? From this thread I gather no matinees.

10086sunset
#108SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 3/17/16 at 4:33pm

Believe he's now on a set schedule with Wed and Sat matinees out. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#109SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 3/17/16 at 6:02pm

I wonder if his weight gain required for the role had anything to do with changing to only 6 shows a week? That might have something to do with his stamina required for the role.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

NJ_BroadwayGirl
#110SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 3/17/16 at 6:29pm

It's possible, re: weight gain. But if he gained it responsibly and kept active during the process it shouldn't impact him that much. You can be a bit overweight and still in good physical shape. He didn't gain that much did he?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#111SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 3/17/16 at 6:46pm

I think he said about 40 pounds he put on for the role. Though the role of Tracy in HAIRSPRAY is equally physically challenging, and no one ever playing the role dropped down to 6 shows/week.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

NJ_BroadwayGirl
#112SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 3/17/16 at 7:02pm

40 lbs is a lot especially since he's not a very tall guy. I haven't seen the show so I can't comment much but from what I've read it seems like the vocal demands are the biggest issue. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#114SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 3/17/16 at 9:35pm

lost 40 pounds?!?! Really?? Read any interview he did during previews & workshops for the show & he admits to gaining the weight. Also, look at pictures of him in SCHOOL OF ROCK & pictures of him before, he's clearly gained weight for the role.

dreamer92
#116SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 3/17/16 at 11:49pm

I think what happened is when he left Matilda last year sometime in February, the off broadway workshop didn't start until the end of April.  So he probably gained weight during that time.  He ask the Creatives if he should gain weight they said " you're wonderfully out of shape" so No. And then they had another break from June to Sept. which he probably gained weight again from not being active and then lost it when rehearsals started.  

Updated On: 3/17/16 at 11:49 PM

getatme
#117SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 3/17/16 at 11:54pm

"And with previews underway and two weeks left until opening, Brightman is working on more than just the show. He was originally asked to gain weight for the role—he put on 35 pounds—the creative team has asked him to lose a lot of it so he doesn’t hurt himself with all the jumping around and picking up the kids."

http://broadwaystyleguide.com/2015/11/alex-brightman-hes-the-guy/

In his Theater People podcast interview he said he's lost 40lbs since the show started.

smidge
#118SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 6/10/16 at 3:16pm

Sorry to bump an older thread, but is Birghtman still on the no Wednesday and Saturday matinee schedule.  My brother is looking for a date to go in the next couple of months.  Thanks 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#119SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 6/10/16 at 3:30pm

Will Blum does the matinees now, and he is excellent.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

smidge
#120SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 6/10/16 at 3:39pm

Thanks Lizzie!

futuresuperstar9
#122SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 7/28/16 at 1:02am

Does anyone know what is happening with Alex and Wednesday matinee's now that there is only one performance that day? 

LizzieCurry
#123SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 7/28/16 at 1:06am

Will Blum went on yesterday.

https://twitter.com/will_blum/status/758308007172333568

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#124SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 7/28/16 at 3:35am

I attended the evening performance on July 10th. I get to my seat after looking at the cast list on my way in, open my playbill to find that Alex AND Sierra were out. As bummed as I was, I'm always very optimistic and excited to see someone who doesn't get the opportunity to perform everyday. I saw David Merritt Janes as Dewy and Mamie Paris as Rosalie. David was good, but Alex definitely brings something special to the role (when he's on). Mamie blew my socks off! I was on board with her performance from very early on. I thought her voice was MUCH more suited for "Where Did the Rock Go" than Sierra's. If anyone else has seen Mamie or David, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#125SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 7/28/16 at 3:49am

I've seen the show three times - once with Alex Brightman, once with Jonathan Wagner, and once with Will Blum as Dewey. Alex definitely has an infectious energy to him and he does a wonderful job in the role, but both Jonathan and Will were outstanding. I feel like Will has an edge over Jonathan, but I've loved all three Dewey(s) that I've seen. If you do see Will Blum, you will absolutely not be disappointed - he's an incredibly talented guy and his Dewey (and his voice) are fantastic.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 7/28/16 at 03:49 AM

PanaroFan111
#126SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 7/29/16 at 3:17pm

Ok the Tonys are over, its obvious to the die hard fans of SOR that Alex cannot handle doing more than 5 to 6 shows per week, I think the management team owes it to the fans to finally establish a scheduled alt for the role of Dewey, people are paying ALOT of $$$$$ on theater tickets and should know which days Alex will be off, so they wont be disappointed seeing his name on the understudy board as it so frequently is.

PanaroFan111
#127SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 7/29/16 at 3:51pm

Ok so please disregard my last post I just read on twitter they finally came to there senses and have finally set an official alt schedule for Will Blum who will do ALL the matinees.

LizzieCurry
#128SOR Alex Brightman missing ALOT of performances
Posted: 7/29/16 at 3:53pm

And here's the link. Ta-da!

https://twitter.com/understudies/status/759097955060183041