pixeltracker

Shuffle Along listed as original- Page 2

Shuffle Along listed as original

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#25Shuffle Along listed as original
Posted: 2/23/16 at 5:54pm

No matter how the Tony committee decides it will be eligible, it's still an "original" piece in that it incorporates a considerable amount of new material that's completely different from what was on Broadway in 1921. Even calling it a "revisal" is a stretch.

And before you turn your pitch forks at me, this is obviously all conjecture.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#26Shuffle Along listed as original
Posted: 2/23/16 at 6:03pm

If original, it loses to the Richard Rodgers show

If a revival, it probably loses to the Color Purple or Fiddler. 

Bottom line is it really does not matter one way or the other.

Poster Emeritus

woeisme3
#27Shuffle Along listed as original
Posted: 2/23/16 at 6:10pm

I think it has a shot if the comittee lets it be a reival- but I doubt that'll happen.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#28Shuffle Along listed as original
Posted: 2/23/16 at 6:31pm

I agree it has a shot as a revival, perhaps a good one. In any evernt, it has a good shot at some of the acting awards. (All  of this obviously based on what at this point is on paper only.)

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#29Shuffle Along listed as original
Posted: 2/24/16 at 2:31am

Isn't the only reason this is "news" because originally  they were going to TRY to classify it as a revival, making this statement a change to intent?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#30Shuffle Along listed as original
Posted: 2/24/16 at 3:02am

One word: Dreamgirls

Wilmingtom
#31Shuffle Along listed as original
Posted: 2/24/16 at 3:58am

McDonald and Wolfe did a Times video interview where the description of the show said "revival" so I guess we'll see.  But shows aren't produced based on their shots at Tony Awards.  They're produced because people believe in the project, and the right theater and creative team and cast all come together at the right time.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#32Shuffle Along listed as original
Posted: 2/24/16 at 9:01am

@dramamama "making this statement a change to intent" what statement? 

@wilmingtom "shows aren't produced based on their shots at Tony Awards" This reflects one of the most fundamental flaws that is prevalent here. Good producers produce for EVERY reason because everything matters. A Tony is worth money, and can represent the difference between success and failure. Getting out of the Hamilton flight path is right up at the top of what Scott Rudin is doing. 

temms Profile Photo
temms
#33Shuffle Along listed as original
Posted: 2/24/16 at 9:43am

Just for the record, a good friend saw The Show Where It Happens about three weeks ago as the plus-one of a Tony voter.  

And the thought that Lin-Manuel Miranda is personally dealing with Tony voter tickets just makes me giggle.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#34Shuffle Along listed as original
Posted: 2/24/16 at 10:40am

That they "registered" it as original.   We were hearing that they WANTED to be considered a revival.  (although, technically my using the term "statement" was a poor choice.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#35Shuffle Along listed as original
Posted: 2/24/16 at 10:51am

I do not think they had a choice. If a show has not been on Broadway, I believe it is original by default, and its treatment is then determined by the committee. 

neonlightsxo
#36Shuffle Along listed as original
Posted: 2/24/16 at 11:48am

temms said: "Just for the record, a good friend saw The Show Where It Happens about three weeks ago as the plus-one of a Tony voter.  

And the thought that Lin-Manuel Miranda is personally dealing with Tony voter tickets just makes me giggle."

It's no wonder that Cinders didn't come back to this thread after those insane comments.

Also, Hogan, I didn't click on the link, I thought it was a Playbill "news"  article, not a link to the actual Playbill. I understand now. And I agree, I think it's original by default.

Wilmingtom
#37Shuffle Along listed as original
Posted: 2/24/16 at 8:31pm

"Getting out of the Hamilton flight path is right up at the top of what Scott Rudin is doing."

Then why isn't he waiting until next season to come in, especially considering that he's losing McDonald for the summer?

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#38Shuffle Along listed as original
Posted: 2/24/16 at 8:36pm

^It isn't a one woman show.  Other people have schedules too.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#39Shuffle Along listed as original
Posted: 2/24/16 at 8:38pm

Wilmingtom said: "Then why isn't he waiting until next season to come in...?"

Because he has learned the lesson that theatre is about many disparate parts coming together and that when that happens, you don't dawdle. Next year he will have another show to bring in. Also, being highly competitive (in general and especially with the Hamilton producer), he wants to cause as much of a disturbance as he can, and depriving Hamilton of a bunch of acting awards would do that.

Wilmingtom
#40Shuffle Along listed as original
Posted: 2/24/16 at 8:46pm

I'm not sure I understand how that is "getting out of the Hamilton flight path."  Isn't he putting Shuffle right in the flight path?

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#41Shuffle Along listed as original
Posted: 2/24/16 at 10:11pm

he is doing everything in his power to be a revival, which is getting out of the path. My comments were responsive to your question "why isn't he waiting?"

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#42Shuffle Along listed as original
Posted: 2/25/16 at 9:19am

Everyone is forgetting one major issue here: the only reason they have had to create a whole new script for SHUFFLE ALONG is because the original production didn't really have a script... or much of one, and audiences today don't care to see a vaudeville review. Most shows that opened on Broadway in the 1920's didn't have "books." If someone suddenly decided to bring back Ziegfield Follies of 1928 they would also have to invent a script to make the show work for today's audiences. This is the reason that Shuffle Along has never been revived before and neither have any of the Ziegfield Follies.

Most of Cole Porter's shows for that matter are in the same boat. Anything Goes is done a lot today because the book was rewritten. Pal Joey by Rogers & Hart has a new book as well.

Writing a book for Shuffle Along is important because the show was important and deserves to be done. Making the book of the show about WHY the original show was important kills two birds with one stone. It's been almost a hundred years and the show has been mostly forgotten. I'm on team #revival because I think there's a certain importance the original carries with it, and if a new script helps us see it's original brilliance I think that's swell. Calling it a "new musical" does the show a disservice. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#43Shuffle Along listed as original
Posted: 2/25/16 at 10:11am

The important point is that plenty of shows with and without books have had new books and new framing devices created for what was characterized as a revival. If this one is "original" then the Tony org is saying that a show with unoriginal songs and flow is to be treated the same as one with new material. The fly in the ointment, of course, is the jukebox musical.

Broadwaystar2
#44Shuffle Along listed as original
Posted: 2/25/16 at 2:31pm

MadonnaMusical said: "Everyone is forgetting one major issue here: the only reason they have had to create a whole new script for SHUFFLE ALONG is because the original production didn't really have a script... or much of one, and audiences today don't care to see a vaudeville review. Most shows that opened on Broadway in the 1920's didn't have "books." If someone suddenly decided to bring back Ziegfield Follies of 1928 they would also have to invent a script to make the show work for today's audiences. This is the reason that Shuffle Along has never been revived before and neither have any of the Ziegfield Follies.

Most of Cole Porter's shows for that matter are in the same boat. Anything Goes is done a lot today because the book was rewritten. Pal Joey by Rogers & Hart has a new book as well.

Writing a book for Shuffle Along is important because the show was important and deserves to be done. Making the book of the show about WHY the original show was important kills two birds with one stone. It's been almost a hundred years and the show has been mostly forgotten. I'm on team #revival because I think there's a certain importance the original carries with it, and if a new script helps us see it's original brilliance I think that's swell. Calling it a "new musical" does the show a disservice. 

"

Shuffle Along has actually been revived twice. Sorry to inform you. 1933, 1952

Updated On: 2/25/16 at 02:31 PM