pixeltracker

Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016- Page 2

Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#25Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/25/16 at 8:00pm

Wasn't SJB rumored to be in this? When I saw her at Showbiz After Hours on Monday she said that she was coming to Broadway in the fall, but couldn't say what show.

Some of the cast also seems to already be set in stone. Paul Wontorek said that he knows some names during Live At 5 today, and if the SJB thing is correct, Frank DiLella know too, as he said he knows what show she was talking about...

FindingNamo
#26Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/25/16 at 8:11pm

I heard PMK or TJB.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

WinstonSalem
#27Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/25/16 at 8:36pm

I've heard some of the casting rumors for this.  Seems they are trying to go for "names" (not all of whom have Broadway experience).  A couple of them (JG and AG) I love and are no stranger to Finn, although the ages of these two for the roles I heard being discussed is very incongruent.  SJB would be more age-appropriate.  One of the rumors I heard is absolutely not something I would want to see, especially in light of some of his recent comments, but that is just me.  I saw A New Brain last summer and really enjoyed it. Although this show has some incredible music, I'm wondering how dated the book will feel (even with the purported HF update).

Mr. Musical Profile Photo
Mr. Musical
#28Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/25/16 at 9:42pm

FindingNamo said: "I heard PMK or TJB.

"

What do those stand for?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#29Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/25/16 at 10:49pm

Great Comet has been rumored for the Cort, Kerr, Circle in the Square, the Hudson, the parking garage on 43rd, the vacant Toys R Us space... ie, people are just making stuff up.

I am glad to see that the postponement really was just that. I was afraid the revival was done in for good- in this incarnation, at least. I've never seen the show, but I love the cast recording, as well as the radio broadcast.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

gcal
#30Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/25/16 at 11:00pm

^the radio broadcast is great, but I can't stand that Trina!

_IrisTInkerbell
#31Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/25/16 at 11:23pm

Mr. Musical said: "FindingNamo said: "I heard PMK or TJB.

"

What do those stand for?

"

Good question. Have a feeling this was to make fun of me... but I just assumed SJB was a common enough abbreviation for Stephanie J Block. Always abbreviate it that way, didn't even think about it when I wrote that post

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#32Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/25/16 at 11:32pm

Just how old does Marvin have to be? Jonathan Groff will be 31 this fall. I couldn't see him doing it simply because he's been in Hamilton for the last year. Also he doesn't strike me as nearly neurotic enough.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

WinstonSalem
#33Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/26/16 at 12:01am

Marvin has a 13 year old son, so I would guess he'd need to read at least age 35 onstage.  That would seem to take Jonathan Groff out of the running for Marvin (but not Whizzer).

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#34Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/26/16 at 12:06am

I think that Christian Borle or Norbert Leo Butz would make a nice Marvin, but neither are big enough stars to carry a commercial run.  What about Jake Gyllenhaal?  He's not the greatest singer, but he can do more than carry a tune.  I'm just not sure if he could sing the score 8 times a week.

Annaleigh Ashford would make a great Trina and I think that Jonathan Groff or Jeremy Jordan would make a good Whizzer.

Regardless of who gets cast, I'm ridiculously excited about this.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#35Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/26/16 at 12:20am

Well I think Broadway is ready again for another production. With the success of A New Brain last summer which was expertly directed and Fun Home which seemed influenced by the styles of the Finn muscials, maybe it will find a broader audience. I love the show and cannot wait. I will actually be buying a ticket for that one along with Hello Dolly.

BTW the New Brain recording is available for those who missed the press releases.

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#36Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/26/16 at 4:27am

gcal said: "^the radio broadcast is great, but I can't stand that Trina!

"

Didn't they censor all the swearing for that?

After Eight
#37Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/26/16 at 5:54am

"Well I think Broadway is ready again for another production."

Again? Like it was ready for it the first time? Like it would EVER be ready for the wretched thing? But ready or not, here it comes! ....... Make sure to duck.

I suppose we were lulled into a false sense of security, thinking we were done with it for good. Out of sight, out of mind, right? But we should have remembered that old tried-and-true adage --- never truer than here: a bad penny always turns up.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#38Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/26/16 at 8:36am

imeldasturn said: "gcal said: "^the radio broadcast is great, but I can't stand that Trina!

Didn't they censor all the swearing for that?

Yeah, the radio broadcast is really oddly censored- swearing and some language is muted. But it is also the only complete recording of the score.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

neonlightsxo
#39Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/26/16 at 9:21am

I've heard Stephanie J. Block as Trina as well. Hope that happens.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#40Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/26/16 at 12:59pm

I think Bryce Pinkham would make a great Marvin. His exaggerated awkwardness goes so well with the character. It will also bring him back to Walter Kerr ^_^

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.
Updated On: 2/26/16 at 12:59 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#41Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/26/16 at 1:15pm

I think Pinkham, like Groff, reads too young for the role. 

He'd be a fine Whizzer, though.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#42Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/26/16 at 2:41pm

Kad said: "I think Pinkham, like Groff, reads too young for the role. 

He'd be a fine Whizzer, though."

Who's your pick for Marvin?

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#43Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/26/16 at 9:19pm

WinstonSalem said: "I've heard some of the casting rumors for this.  Seems they are trying to go for "names" (not all of whom have Broadway experience).  A couple of them (JG and AG) I love and are no stranger to Finn, although the ages of these two for the roles I heard being discussed is very incongruent.  SJB would be more age-appropriate.  One of the rumors I heard is absolutely not something I would want to see, especially in light of some of his recent comments, but that is just me.  I saw A New Brain last summer and really enjoyed it. Although this show has some incredible music, I'm wondering how dated the book will feel (even with the purported HF update).

"

Why would FALSETTOS be any more dated than THE NORMAL HEART? As I recall, HEART revived pretty well on Broadway and on HBO. I saw FALSETTOS a few years ago here in the greater Palm Springs area with a packed house. If anybody found it dated, it wasn't apparent. Many of us remember the period very well, along with the friends and relatives we lost.

HoldMeBatBOy
#44Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/26/16 at 10:10pm

Have an interesting casting idea. First of all, Falsettos is my favorite musical and I'm overjoyed this revival is finally happening. I have been hearing a lot how the producers really want some star power to help the show. Riddle me this: Josh Radnor as Mendel. He has musical theatre background and its shame he couldnt come back to Broadway this season in She Loves Me. The more I think about it the more I kind of like the idea. Thoughts? Here's hoping they pick the perfect cast for this amazing piece. 

FindingNamo
#45Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/26/16 at 10:16pm

What does "name" mean to you?  I know what "riddle me this" means.

_IrisTInkerbell
#46Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/26/16 at 11:32pm

neonlightsxo said: "I've heard Stephanie J. Block as Trina as well. Hope that happens.

"

I was looking at the ad for the fall playbill cruise tonight and realized that it overlaps with the tech and the first preview for Falsettos. So I guess Steph is out. Unless she drops out of the cruise...

sodja1
#47Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/27/16 at 5:35am

Does anyone happen to have the Radio Recording of the show ? I've been looking everywhere for it ! Too excited for this revival

Brick
#48Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/27/16 at 11:49am

While on Ken Davenport's podcast, The Producer's Prospective, Lapine said he was aware people might question him directing it again, and he questioned it himself, having even offered the show to a couple people who weren't interested. He then said he felt it was his best directing work and would love to have another at it.

Updated On: 2/27/16 at 11:49 AM

FindingNamo
#49Falsettos to Return to Bway Fall 2016
Posted: 2/27/16 at 12:02pm

having even offered the show to a couple people who weren't interested

Smart.