Kinky Boots tour lately

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#25Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 8/31/16 at 11:25am

I saw the show on broadway shortly before the tony awards from the far left side of the front mezzo, from that vantage point I could see that the pleather wasn't actually getting cut in step one. It just has pre cut pieces within the roll.

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#26Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 8/31/16 at 12:19pm

I'm seeing it for the first time tonight, I've heard it's awesome so I'm super excited!

#27Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 8/31/16 at 3:30pm

ACL2006 said: "isn't the tour now on a SETA contract?

"

I'm not an expert on the different types of touring contracts, but I thought this tour was always on a SETA contract? 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#28Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 8/31/16 at 3:33pm

I really miss the actual sliding factory walls... the painted drop just looks cheap.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

trpguyy
#29Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 8/31/16 at 3:54pm

245601 said: "ACL2006 said: "isn't the tour now on a SETA contract?

"I'm not an expert on the different types of touring contracts, but I thought this tour was always on a SETA contract? 
"

It was originally on a Production Tier D contract, and now it's a SETA Category 2.

hairspraydude1962
#30Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 8/31/16 at 6:24pm

I just got back from seeing the matinee in Chicago. I didn't mind the new scrim much. Yes, I prefer the old piece, but if it helps keep the show running smoothly, I'm all for it. I noticed they've also gotten rid of some smaller set pieces here and there (i.e. the benches at the Milan fashion show).

broadwayguy2
#31Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 8/31/16 at 7:10pm

Hmm. I'd be curious to see the new version of the tour.

... Those benches were a bit awkward from day one with how the actors had to maneauver them.

#32Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 8/31/16 at 9:32pm

That's very interesting. I liked the benches but I guess they aren't essential. Do people just stand on the side of the runway now? What, if any, other set pieces have been modified.

nightnic001 Profile Photo
nightnic001
#33Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 8/31/16 at 9:53pm

Intermission. No other physical changes so far. Just the front of the factory and the back wall is now also a drop. J. Harison Ghee is killing it!!!

hairspraydude1962
#34Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 8/31/16 at 9:55pm

Yep, they just stand on the sides now. I didn't notice any other obvious set pieces missing. 

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#35Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 9/1/16 at 10:46am

The London apartment is now just a wall.  I believe it used to be a bedroom (with a murphy bed).  It also seemed that they had smaller ensemble.  

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#36Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 9/1/16 at 6:57pm

just checked their website & except for one additional swing in the Broadway cast, the tour has the same size cast.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#37Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 9/1/16 at 7:00pm

also, just noticed their tour schedule. The tour will be playing in Japan from Oct. 5 - Nov. 6. Also, majority of their stops are still one or two weeks long.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

#38Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 9/1/16 at 7:20pm

ACL2006 said: "also, just noticed their tour schedule. The tour will be playing in Japan from Oct. 5 - Nov. 6. Also, majority of their stops are still one or two weeks long.

"

So...why is the tour going to Japan anyways? Didn't it just have/still is having a Tokyo sit down production?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#39Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 9/2/16 at 11:04pm

I just saw the tour in Chicago tonight. It exceeded my expectations, but I still think Matilda is superior. 

When just be started all I could think of was that just pee video.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Call_me_jorge
#40Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 9/2/16 at 11:20pm

Also I noticed the entire orchestra traveled with the show. Has that always been the case or was it a recent change?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#41Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 9/2/16 at 11:24pm

In Boston, there were six local musicians joining the traveling orch.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#42Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 9/2/16 at 11:27pm

The Japanese production is actually closing this Sunday. It only was scheduled to run from July 21 - Sept. 4. The US tour will (of course) be performed in English. I'm guessing the US tour was scheduled in occurrence with the Japanese production.

Call_me_jorge
#43Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 9/4/16 at 12:40pm

I should have also mentioned they were collecting money for the Red Cross for the flooding sun Louisiana.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#44Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 9/4/16 at 8:56pm

I always thought the show looked cheap even on Broadway. I don't love Scott Pasek's designs at all. And I don't think Mitchell has a good eye for design/stage pictures. 

maxkko Profile Photo
maxkko
#45Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 9/4/16 at 9:38pm

RippedMan said: "I always thought the show looked cheap even on Broadway. I don't love Scott Pasek's designs at all. And I don't think Mitchell has a good eye for design/stage pictures. "

David Rockwell designed Kinky Boots.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#46Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 9/4/16 at 9:39pm

Oh shoot! I loved his work on She Loves Me and Legally Blonde, but his work with Mitchell has been awful. Not sure if that's because of Mitchell's involvement, but both Kinky and On Your Feet are horribly designed. 

Call_me_jorge
#47Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 9/4/16 at 9:57pm

RippedMan said: "Oh shoot! I loved his work on She Loves Me and Legally Blonde, but his work with Mitchell has been awful. Not sure if that's because of Mitchell's involvement, but both Kinky and On Your Feet are horribly designed. 

"

Mitchell directed legally blonde. 

#48Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 9/4/16 at 10:53pm

RippedMan said: "I always thought the show looked cheap even on Broadway. I don't love Scott Pasek's designs at all. And I don't think Mitchell has a good eye for design/stage pictures. 

"

I completely disagree with this. I'm not sure how you could have seen Kinky Boots on Broadway and gotten "cheap". On the contrary, I think the sets look great (especially the Milan setting for the finale). The use of the factory set is spot on, especially when it is used for the drag scenes. Very creative set use in my opinion. 
And the notion that Jerry Mitchell doesn't have a good eye for stage pictures is...laughable, to put it mildly. 

BwayinVan
#49Kinky Boots tour lately
Posted: 2/9/17 at 2:46am

I saw the show tonight in Vancouver and loved it. I knew what to expect having seen it a couple years back with Billy Porter. First off I didn't mind the scrim and had I not read this board prior I probably wouldn't have noticed. It did feel like the set was a bit smaller but that might be cus the QE stage is massive and the theatre is a giant barn. 

I thought J Harrison Ghee was really good. On par with Billy Porter. Curt Hansen grew on me and his accent wasn't as forced as others. As a kid of Brits fake British accents make me cringe but there weren't really any cringe worthy performances. The weakest link unfortunately was young Simon. The kid sounded off key and it was slightly uncomfortable to hear. 

Overall I thought the cast was great. If it comes to your town go see it. The message is super relevant and you'll find it hard nit to leave with a smile.