pixeltracker

2016 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards- Page 5

2016 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#1012016 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/28/16 at 3:39pm

Very happy for David Furr, one of my favorite performances this season. I wish NOISES OFF was still running so I could see it for a fourth time :) 

brian1973
#1022016 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/28/16 at 10:13pm

How does Bright Star not have nominations for Choreography and Direction? Craziness. 

And no Audra?

Carmen Cusack HAS to win . Her performance is way above the rest. 

After Eight
#1032016 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/28/16 at 10:23pm

I'm not a fan of awards, and set no store by them. Yet upon perusing the list of nominees here, I felt an ineffable feeling of felicity, much like Proust when he tasted his madeleine. I tried to put my finger on the source of this contentment, and finally recognized that it was the absence of that overhyped entity that is shoved in our faces 25 hours a day, eight days a week. What a liberation to be free of it, if only for a moment! It was like a thick veil of smog had been lifted, and one could bask in the warmth of sunlight flooding a flower-filled field. 

Sure, I know --- as we all do --- come Tuesday it'll be back to smogville. Neverthless, we can still revel in the glow of that one brief shining moment that was known as Camelot.

Updated On: 4/28/16 at 10:23 PM

pupscotch
#1042016 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/28/16 at 10:52pm

Who do you all think will win Best Featured Actor in a Musical without the Hamilton men in the running? Personally, I'm hoping for Chris Fitzgerald, but I haven't seen any of the other nominees besides Nicholas Barasch, so I'm curious to see what others think!

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#1052016 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/28/16 at 11:07pm

"Yet upon perusing the list of nominees here, I felt an ineffable feeling of felicity, much like Proust when he tasted his madeleine... Sure, I know --- as we all do --- come Tuesday it'll be back to smogville. Neverthless, we can still revel in the glow of that one brief shining moment that was known as Camelot."

My dear old After Eight, the above borders on self parody, darling. Have you wised up and decided to play into the joke? Or is that prose genuine? Nevertheless, it gave me a good chuckle. :)

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#1062016 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/29/16 at 12:04am

After seeing American Psycho, I can kind of agree with why it wouldn't get a Best Musical nom. I mean, I think it deserves one only because it's pushing the boundaries of a musical. The songs are more like "moments" rather than a full-fledged song. There's no big 11 o'clock number, etc. So, for that, I enjoyed it. I like that it was different because, on paper, the idea of an American Psycho musical had me laughing at the stupidity, but what I saw on stage was totally respectable and interesting and daring. If Shuffle Along can be praised for being "good but not great" why not allow the same pass for American Psycho. At least it was trying something new. 

After Eight
#1072016 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/29/16 at 6:49am

"If Shuffle Along can be praised for being "good but not great" why not allow the same pass for American Psycho."

Or anything else, for that matter. I guess it depends upon whether our arbiters of culture adjudge the show to be "important." If they do, then any flaws are unimportant, and audiences are expected to rush to the box-office and parrot their judgment.  For shows that fail the "importance" test, the slightest flaw is deemed gargantuan. Audiences have no business going to these, much less enjoying them.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#1082016 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 5/2/16 at 5:41pm

And here are the nominees for the reinstated Outstanding Book of a Musical category

John Caird, Daddy Long Legs
Michael John LaChiusa, First Daughter Suite
Jessie Nelson, Waitress

http://www.theatermania.com/broadway/news/2016-drama-desk-outstanding-book-nominees_76941.html

pupscotch
#1092016 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 5/2/16 at 5:43pm

No Dear Evan Hansen? I thought the book for DEH  far far better than the book for Waitress.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#1102016 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 5/2/16 at 5:49pm

pupscotch said: "No Dear Evan Hansen? I thought the book for DEH  far far better than the book for Waitress.

"

It didn't open at the deadline

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#1112016 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 5/2/16 at 5:52pm

False.

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#1122016 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 5/2/16 at 5:53pm

Call_me_jorge said: "pupscotch said: "No Dear Evan Hansen? I thought the book for DEH  far far better than the book for Waitress.
"

It didn't open at the deadline

"

Rachel Bay Jones was nominated, as were the projections. Can it be eligible in some categories and not others? (The fact that Ben Platt was snubbed still floors me. One of the most compelling performances I've seen in ages.)