pixeltracker

The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread- Page 14

The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread

Broadway Forever2
#325The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:26pm

She loves me got so much love. is it really that good? Maybe I'll go see it. 

Also how many people have gotten nominated for 4 Tonys for one show? 

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#326The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:26pm

Very happy for David Furr, what a lovely surprise this morning :)

And I will continue to tell everyone that Benjamin Walker is giving the performance of the season.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#327The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:29pm

What Levi may lack in singing chops he more than makes up for in pure charm and stage charisma, the kind of stuff that most of his contemporaries who may be able to sing the role flawlessly lack. He is a theatre showman in the style of Robert Preston. He is a revelation in SHE LOVES ME. He also is a perfect match to Benanti's bravura performance, which is a nearly impossible task. They complement each other beautifully and rightfully were recognized for the fireworks they achieve at Studio 54 eight times a week.

And regarding Groff, it wouldn't be shocking to see him win. Many people have won this category for brief roles. Groff milked every line, every gesture, and every movement for all it was worth and then some. It was a magnificent performance. I expect Diggs to win--and would vote for him--but a Groff win would be equally great.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#328The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:30pm

I believe that is a broken record, since I think the highest to date has been 3, for Trey Parker for THE BOOK OF MORMON (Direction, Book, Score), and he won all 3.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

aaaaaa15
#329The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:31pm

Just looked back on my predictions and these are the ones that happened that I wasn't expecting to:

Bright Star instead of Waitress for Best Book
Laurie Metcalf instead of Nicola Walker
Zachary Levi instead of Benjamin Walker
Carmen Cusack instead of Audra McDonald
Richard Goulding instead of Ciaran Hinds
Andrea Martin instead of Saoirse Ronan
Brandon Victor Dixon instead of Billy Porter
Adrienne Warren instead of Jennifer Hudson
Hughie and A View From the Bridge instead of Long Day's Journey Into Night and Noises Off for scenic design
Shuffle Along instead of Tuck Everlasting for scenic design
Long Day's Journey Into Night instead of Therese Raquin for costumes
Tuck Everlasting instead of American Psycho for costumes
A View From the Bridge instead of Eclipsed for lighting design
Spring Awakening instead of She Loves Me for lighting design
Dames at Sea instead of Spring Awakening for choreography
Bright Star instead of The Color Purple for Orchestrations

The Tonys always bring surprises for sure!

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#330The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:32pm

scripps said: "Very happy for David Furr, what a lovely surprise this morning :)"

Seconded! For as much as people talk about Megan Hilty, who was excellent, David Furr was the MVP of Noises Off for me. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#331The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:33pm

backwoodsbarbie said: "If Groff were to win, would it be the first time an actor won for a role that had already been taken over by another actor? I know people have won for shows that have already closed.

Groff took over before Hamilton transferred.  He opened the show on Broadway.  It wasn't a Larry Kert in Company situation with the Tony's nominating a replacement after Broadway opening.  Groff certainly isn't the first actor nominated for a Tony who replaced someone pre-Broadway opening..  And some in that group have won, Sutton Foster in Millie for instance.  What' s perhaps more typical is the converse:  an actor getting nominated but arguably having his or her chances of winning diminished by pre-Tony's departure from the show - e.g., Madeline Kahn in On the Twentieth Century, Judy Kuhn in She Loves Me, for instance.    

"

Updated On: 5/3/16 at 12:33 PM

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#332The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:39pm

henrikegerman said: "backwoodsbarbie said: "If Groff were to win, would it be the first time an actor won for a role that had already been taken over by another actor? I know people have won for shows that have already closed.

Groff took over before Hamilton transferred.  He opened the show on Broadway.  It wasn't a Larry Kert in Company situation with the Tony's nominating a replacement after Broadway opening.  Groff certainly isn't the first actor nominated for a Tony who replaced someone pre-Broadway opening..  And some in that group have won, Sutton Foster in Millie for instance.  What' s perhaps more typical is the converse:  an actor getting nominated but arguably having his or her chances of winning diminished by pre-Tony's departure from the show - e.g., Madeline Kahn in On the Twentieth Century, Judy Kuhn in She Loves Me, for instance.    

"

I don't understand your reference to Sutton Foster. I was referring to an actor who was nominated/won when they were no longer with the show at the time of nomination. I.E. Groff is no longer in Hamilton. I realize he was in the show before the Broadway transfer.

"

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

Johnsylva
#333The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:43pm

STUPID QUESTION -- Do the lead cast that are nominated for Tony Awards generally perform on the day of the Tonys in their matinee shows? Wondering whether to see WAITRESS on the 12th or the night before as I don't want to miss Jessie!

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#334The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:48pm

So happy for Cynthia, Danielle, and Megan!! Just amazing! 

neonlightsxo
#335The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:50pm

She'll be there, Johnsylva.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#336The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 5/3/16 at 12:52pm

And regarding Groff, it wouldn't be shocking to see him win. Many people have won this category for brief roles. Groff milked every line, every gesture, and every movement for all it was worth and then some. It was a magnificent performance. I expect Diggs to win--and would vote for him--but a Groff win would be equally great.

Thanks, ray ... I don't understand why "stage time" should have anything to do with this award. The award is for "Best Featured Actor." It's not measured by the yard, otherwise it should be renamed "Most Featured Actor."

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#337The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 5/3/16 at 1:36pm

Johnsylva said: "STUPID QUESTION -- Do the lead cast that are nominated for Tony Awards generally perform on the day of the Tonys in their matinee shows? Wondering whether to see WAITRESS on the 12th or the night before as I don't want to miss Jessie!"

You should be fine, I usually like to see matinees on the day of the Tonys and I've never had an understudy (at least not for the nominees). I think I read somewhere that the producers either don't allow them to call out that day (barring emergencies) or at least strongly discourage it, not sure if that's true though.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#338The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 8/28/16 at 6:14pm

vfd88 said: "tazber said: "vfd88 said: "If Spring Awakening were still open, based on the nominations it got, I would say it had a better chance at Best Revival than Fiddler."

Is Fiddler favored? I think She Loves Me has it.
"

I fully expect Color Purple or She Loves Me to win, I just meant if I was ranking them in order of likeliness to win I would put Spring above Fiddler...if only it were still open!
"

While both Fiddler on the Roof and Spring Awakening received three nominations, Fiddler was at least able to get all key nominations while Spring Awakening only received two key nominations and a design nomination.

Therefore, I had Spring Awakening in fourth place.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#339The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 8/28/16 at 6:18pm

The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#340The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
Posted: 8/28/16 at 6:22pm

vfd88 said: "sarahb22 said: "With Miranda and Odom Jr. both in the lead actor category, I wonder if this is going to be a repeat of the 1987 Tonys.  Colm Wilkinson and Terrence Mann of Les Miserables were both in the lead actor category, and they split the vote. The Tony went to Robert Lindsay for Me and My Girl."

Same thing happened with Book of Mormon. I don't know, if it doesn't go to Leslie Odom, I'd say Danny Burstein would take it, but Fiddler only got 3 nominations...
"

Even though it doesn't matter now since this year's Tonys have already taken place, just because a show only received 2-3 nominations, doesn't mean it won't win anything. That's because the nominators and the voters are not the same people, they're both two separate entities.

For example, The Father had only two nominations this year and ended up winning one award. The Audience had three nominations last year (none for Best Play), and ended up winning two awards.

Videos