pixeltracker

JESSICA LANGE is winning the TONY for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT - Page 4

JESSICA LANGE is winning the TONY for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT

Mark-Alexis
#75JESSICA LANGE is so winning the TONY for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT
Posted: 5/11/16 at 2:32pm

What's interesting is that Lange was in the West End revival of this play in 2000, which precipitated the 2003 Broadway revival.  Also, the 2003 team wanted Lange and she was just about to sign on before pulling out due to conflicts with Dennehy (he even called her "a bitch for pulling out" in a few interviews; look them up).

So, technically, she was there first in regards to the wonderful 2003 production.

That being said, I still think it's rather antiquated thinking, especially in this day and age when 6 months really counts for a year now (i.e. technology has sped things up), to expect classic plays such as this one and "A Streetcar Named Desire" to not be revived but for every 20 years.  Sorry, I respectfully don't agree, especially when such revivals can produce legendary, definitive performances such as Lange's.

It would be a crime against the audience to hold back such a thing, not a disgrace to the plays themselves.

Updated On: 5/11/16 at 02:32 PM

#76JESSICA LANGE is so winning the TONY for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT
Posted: 5/11/16 at 2:41pm

I see what you are saying, but Lange backed out of that production so Redgrave stepped in and won a Tony.

I'd be interested in hearing what you thought of The Glass Menagerie that is coming back with Miss Field next year, not even five years after that wonderful and celebrated performance.

mar6411
#77JESSICA LANGE is so winning the TONY for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT
Posted: 5/11/16 at 4:22pm

This is the second time you've talked about "disrespectful" revivals.  You've totally gone off the rails.  You may not like it, but it's not disrespectful.  And there is not rule - written, unwritten or understood.  Again - the second time you've mentioned that in regard to revivals.  It's certainly not worth getting so upset over.  The people with the ability to produce shows will do what they want.  

#78JESSICA LANGE is so winning the TONY for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT
Posted: 5/11/16 at 5:56pm

I've hardly gone off the rails, lol.  But I do feel strongly that this production and the Glass Menagerie are disrespectul. And if you do some research into theater history, you will learn that yes there was a rule about revivals that was followed yet unspoken. Celebrated director Jack O'Brien talks about it in several interviews.

smidge
#79JESSICA LANGE is so winning the TONY for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT
Posted: 5/11/16 at 6:19pm

These frequent revivals may be annoying or pointless but certainly not disgraceful or disrespectful.  

A Director
#80JESSICA LANGE is so winning the TONY for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT
Posted: 5/11/16 at 6:56pm

StandingO - Was there an announcement anointing  you the Official Gatekeeper who decides when a play or musical is allowed to be revived on Broadway?  Unless there was, you are giving your opinion; nothing more!

Using a bold font does not make your opinion important.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
A Director
#82JESSICA LANGE is so winning the TONY for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT
Posted: 5/11/16 at 7:00pm

Mark-Alexis - Have you seen every production of Long Day's Journey Into Night produced on Broadway?  If so, how does 2016 production compare to the original Broadway production?

#83JESSICA LANGE is so winning the TONY for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT
Posted: 5/11/16 at 7:05pm

I don't know, if I was John Tiffany or Miss Cherry Jones, I would feel very disrespected about another Glass Menagerie coming barely two years after the truly magnificent production they put on

A Director
#84JESSICA LANGE is so winning the TONY for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT
Posted: 5/11/16 at 7:10pm

StandingO - You are neither John Tiffany nor Cherry Jones, so you don't know how they feel about a new production of The Glass Menagerie.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#85JESSICA LANGE is so winning the TONY for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT
Posted: 5/11/16 at 7:50pm

Someone coughstandingocough needs to step away from the keyboard.

#86JESSICA LANGE is so winning the TONY for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT
Posted: 5/11/16 at 8:00pm

it you don't want to debate then don't,  however, I'm not here to spar with anyone.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#87JESSICA LANGE is so winning the TONY for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT
Posted: 5/11/16 at 8:01pm

This is one of the least convincing arguments we see repeated time and time again on this board.

If you don't feel like seeing Glass Menagerie so soon after seeing Glass Menagerie, then don't. 

But why shouldn't the most beloved works of drama be just as frequently performed in New York as the most beloved works of orchestral music, opera or ballet are?

It might also be noted that some theatre-goers love to go see not only the same work over and over again, but the exact same production over and over again (just as many people love seeing the same movie frequently within a relatively short span of time).  And many think nothing of going to see the same run of the same production when it has an appealing replacement of a role.  Not to mention that there are a great many people in or visiting New York who for whatever reason couldn't or didn't see an earlier production of the same play who might very much want to see a newer production either now or in the immediate future - some of them weren't even in New York during the last run of the play!  

So how on earth is it disrespectful to see a new version of a classic a few years after there's been one?  And as far as the reviving being "pointless," if you don't see the point of going, then don't go.

I think very few of the many people who saw both of the last two productions of A View From the Bridge, would agree that this season's production was pointless.  And that would include people like myself who liked both productions very much.  

Updated On: 5/11/16 at 08:01 PM

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#88JESSICA LANGE is so winning the TONY for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT
Posted: 5/11/16 at 8:13pm

Unless you have AWARDS!!!!!!! you have no worth as a performer. 

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Mark-Alexis
#89JESSICA LANGE is so winning the TONY for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT
Posted: 5/11/16 at 10:12pm

standingovation79 said: "I see what you are saying, but Lange backed out of that production so Redgrave stepped in and won a Tony.

I'd be interested in hearing what you thought of The Glass Menagerie that is coming back with Miss Field next year, not even five years after that wonderful and celebrated performance.

"

Thank you for respecting and trying to understand my point of view, even if we don't agree.  I see what you're saying, too, but I don't think it's going to remain a popular opinion - especially with today's fast-paced audiences - to say classic plays should be put for a time "on the shelf" for posterity's sake.  Today's audience will just want it even more - "now!".

As for my thoughts on The Glass Menagerie revival, I think it's wonderful that Field is going to do it, and something is telling me she'll not only give a better performance than those that have tackled Amanda Wingfield before her (yes, including Lange), it'll end up being definitive and she'll probably win the Tony for it.  She's a dynamic actress and she'll do wonders with this character.

Mark-Alexis
#90JESSICA LANGE is so winning the TONY for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT
Posted: 5/11/16 at 11:20pm

A Director said: "Mark-Alexis - Have you seen every production of Long Day's Journey Into Night produced on Broadway?  

"

Actually, yes.

Yes, I have.

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#91JESSICA LANGE is so winning the TONY for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT
Posted: 5/12/16 at 2:22am

Is this the Lesbians on Broadway thread?

Mark-Alexis
Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#93JESSICA LANGE is so winning the TONY for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT
Posted: 5/12/16 at 9:42am

Mark-Alexis said: "I've been fortunate enough to see them all.  Please don't bother me with your queries - direct or indirect - again.

Thank you for proving my point.  Clearly you must not live in Peoria or Fargo and only have the opportunity to see Broadway shows maybe every couple of years.  Therefore YOU can't appreciate the joy of people who DON'T have the opportunity to see every single production or revival and who will revel in a performance like they are currently seeing -- rather than sit back and say "well since I've seen every production, I don't think we need another".   Stop being so SELFISH!

Mark-Alexis
#94JESSICA LANGE is so winning the TONY for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT
Posted: 5/12/16 at 10:20am

Patash said: "Mark-Alexis said: "I've been fortunate enough to see them all.  Please don't bother me with your queries - direct or indirect - again.

Thank you for proving my point.  Clearly you must not live in Peoria or Fargo and only have the opportunity to see Broadway shows maybe every couple of years.  Therefore YOU can't appreciate the joy of people who DON'T have the opportunity to see every single production or revival and who will revel in a performance like they are currently seeing -- rather than sit back and say "well since I've seen every production, I don't think we need another".   Stop being so SELFISH!
"

I have no idea what you're talking about, lol.  Seriously.  I think you meant to direct your "point" at someone else, because I was the first one to express my disagreement with classic plays big produced every 20 years, which I find a silly "rule".

smidge
#95JESSICA LANGE is so winning the TONY for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT
Posted: 5/12/16 at 10:22am

Thank you Henrik for correcting me on the issue that the frequent revivals are pointless. I guess my frustration was more with the fact that other works are not produced as often. 

And Mark-Alexis, I was wondering if you have checked out the Multimedia Edition of Long Day's with a foreword by Miss Lange? It's available on Amazon kindle.

Mark-Alexis
#96JESSICA LANGE is so winning the TONY for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT
Posted: 5/12/16 at 10:32am

I haven't, though I've heard about it.  I did read another forward by Lange on "Long Days Journey into Night" published a few years ago (it may even be the same forward included in the multimedia edition) and I have a hard copy of the play, but I still want to check this edition out.

I hear it's the first play presented like this.  Do you think they did a good job?  Is it worth the purchase?

Mark-Alexis
#97JESSICA LANGE is so winning the TONY for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT
Posted: 5/12/16 at 10:39am

Also, for those interested, I updated the first page with the rest of the reviews.  In rereading them, I still have to pinch myself.  I mean, they just go on and on and on about Lange.  Such delicious, rapturous raves!

JESSICA LANGE is so winning the TONY for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#98JESSICA LANGE is so winning the TONY for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT
Posted: 5/12/16 at 10:51am

I never trust my viewpoint unless a bevy of critics agree with me, and throw awards at whatever I adore either.

Mark-Alexis