pixeltracker

American Psycho was SNUBBED- Page 6

American Psycho was SNUBBED

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#125American Psycho was SNUBBED
Posted: 5/9/16 at 1:05pm

singdancelove, you could practically be writing my thoughts. I didn't like it as much as "Shuffle Along" or "Hamilton" or "Dear Evan Hansen" (the other three shows I saw on a recent trip, with "Shuffle" being my favorite -- what a knockout!) but I did like it and I think it captures the book while looking at it in a new way. Walker and Yorke are incredible and I see why the Tony voters, despite apparently wanting to ignore the show, couldn't ignore that unusual and effective lighting (although, there again, the lighting in "Shuffle Along" is even better).

Broadwaywest Profile Photo
Broadwaywest
#126American Psycho was SNUBBED
Posted: 5/14/16 at 5:46pm

Put me on the band wagon to question why this unbelievable performance was not recognized. Even if you hate the show ( which I am not one). Ben Walker is killing it in every sense of the word on that stage. He's scary, sadistic, funny, disturbing, child-like, all those things and them some. This really was very over-looked by the tony voters. Even Brantley and Isherwood agreed he should have gotten a nomination. I also herald the hysterically funny performance of Helene York.

JCMtv Profile Photo
JCMtv
#127American Psycho was SNUBBED
Posted: 5/14/16 at 6:36pm

Seeing it in a couple weeks......better not close!

doritxuuu
#128American Psycho was SNUBBED
Posted: 5/15/16 at 9:57am

Joining the bandwagon too - I absolutely loved how different it was from more traditional musicals and Benjamin Walker nailed the performance, it's a real shame he didn't get the Tony recognition he deserved. I hope it wins Best Lighting though because it was honestly the best I have seen lately.

I wish I had time/money to see it twice but already started spreading the word to European friends who are going to New York soon to invest in tickets.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#129American Psycho was SNUBBED
Posted: 5/15/16 at 10:00am

Broadwaywest said: "Put me on the band wagon to question why this unbelievable performance was not recognized. Even if you hate the show ( which I am not one). Ben Walker is killing it in every sense of the word on that stage. He's scary, sadistic, funny, disturbing, child-like, all those things and them some. This really was very over-looked by the tony voters. Even Brantley and Isherwood agreed he should have gotten a nomination. I also herald the hysterically funny performance of Helene York.

Yes to all of this. American Psycho was my favorite new musical of the season (I'm not seeing Hamilton until July). Benjamin Walker is absolutely amazing, and Helene Yorke is a comedic goddess.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

theatreguy12
#130American Psycho was SNUBBED
Posted: 5/16/16 at 10:57pm

Count me in as yet another fan.

I was mesmerized by this production from the moment I entered the theater and was surrounded by the eerie sounds playing throughout the theater. It was already starting to transport you into the mood of the show and in much the same way the aroma of baked goods greeted you at the Brooks Atkinson, the haunting sounds of American Psycho enveloped you as you entered the Schoenfeld.

Psycho certainly is not your standard Broadway bill of fare, but it's exciting and invigorating nonetheless with some great choreography and some wonderful performances. Starting with Benjamin Walker.

And then there's the stark, sterile, yet 80s modern set that appears on an open stage in front of you.

Then the show begins, in startling form.  The lighting and action grabs you in remarkable and stylized fashion.

As one who considers himself a lover of the classics such as Guys and Dolls, Carousel and the like, there's definitely room for shows like this too.

It's one that attacks the senses on so many levels. So glad I saw it.

groucho797 Profile Photo
groucho797
#131American Psycho was SNUBBED
Posted: 5/17/16 at 12:24am

What's freaky about this show is the number of people on the board who want it to die. On the other hand, I'm going back for my third time this weekend (twice in late previews). The show is like oxycontin or something, in that I simply keep getting pulled back to it. At the very least, here's hoping it continues to build interest - things that are polarizing can go either way, and I'd love to see this show reach the tipping point and catch on. Then again, I'm comfy with irony and allegory, but I know folks who aren't.

Yeah, it was snubbed for best musical - voters possibly feared it because they didn't get it.

Updated On: 5/17/16 at 12:24 AM

theatreguy12
#132American Psycho was SNUBBED
Posted: 5/17/16 at 12:32am

I hope it continues to find an audience too.  I know the audience on Saturday night was gripped by it and highly responsive.  In a positive way.

I liked the 80s edge, and the vapid existence of these characters.  Growing up in that era I connected with it.

I grew up in LA, in more of the Less Than Zero set.  But I have a lot of relatives in the east including NYC and was quite familiar with the east coast version caught up in the American Psycho mentality too.

Maybe this is why I found it so fascinating.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#133American Psycho was SNUBBED
Posted: 5/17/16 at 12:39am

bwayphreak234 said: "Broadwaywest said: "Put me on the band wagon to question why this unbelievable performance was not recognized. Even if you hate the show ( which I am not one). Ben Walker is killing it in every sense of the word on that stage. He's scary, sadistic, funny, disturbing, child-like, all those things and them some. This really was very over-looked by the tony voters. Even Brantley and Isherwood agreed he should have gotten a nomination. I also herald the hysterically funny performance of Helene York.Yes to all of this. American Psycho was my favorite new musical of the season (I'm not seeing Hamilton until July). Benjamin Walker is absolutely amazing, and Helene Yorke is a comedic goddess.

Only Benjamin Walker was really snubbed but Helene York deserved a nom but in my eyes happy Adrienne Warren got it over her!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

groucho797 Profile Photo
groucho797
#134American Psycho was SNUBBED
Posted: 5/17/16 at 12:40am

Mister Matt said: Sort of like when people take the word "literally" too literally?  Why would snub be used in the thread title in ALL CAPS if it was meant to mean something it's not?    A snub is intentional.  That is why the word is used instead of another word...to imply an intentional act.  Now, if people want to start spouting theories about how the nominating committee conspired to intentionally block American Psycho from specific categories, then I'm be the first to sit on the sofa in my robe and slippers with a big ol' bucket of popcorn and settle in for a night of entertainment, but if you're just disappointed it didn't get nominated for the awards you want, then the use of "snub" has nothing to do with degrees of literal interpretation.  It's just using the wrong word or not knowing the meaning of the word."

Ok, I have no idea what all of THAT was about - but I see you're listening to "Women on the Verge" and can't help but think how cool that is. That was another show that people just didn't get, but I did.

florida theatre kid Profile Photo
florida theatre kid
#135American Psycho was SNUBBED
Posted: 5/17/16 at 2:49am

Saw it tonight for the first time.....and loved every second. I would go back tomorrow if I didn't already have tickets for something else. THIS CAST!! Ben Walker is unreal. Also loved Helene Yorke, Morgan Weed, Dave Thomas Brown, and Alex Michael Stoll. But really, the whole cast is amazing. Haven't loved a show this much in a loooooong time. 

Edit: This was the 7th show I've seen in a week and was by far the most responsive audience! Here's hoping people continue to appreciate it!

Updated On: 5/17/16 at 02:49 AM

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#136American Psycho was SNUBBED
Posted: 5/17/16 at 9:14am

So glad to see so many are loving it, it really is an incredible piece of work.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

florida theatre kid Profile Photo
florida theatre kid
#137American Psycho was SNUBBED
Posted: 5/23/16 at 9:44pm

Saw it again tonight for the second time in a week after being fascinated the first time. Even the second time around, it's just SO GOOD. Walker is giving a performance that is borderline sub human. Helene Yorke and Morgan Weed were standouts again, but really the whole cast is killing  it and working their (very fit) asses off. Was sitting next to someone who was seeing it for the second time as well, so there is an audience out there and I hope word of mouth and fans continue to grow!

pupscotch
#138American Psycho was SNUBBED
Posted: 5/23/16 at 9:59pm

I saw this show this weekend and absolutely loved it. That said, Benjamin Walker was SNUBBED. I would take out Lin, Alex, or Zachary to put him in. With Burstein and Odom Jr, he wasn't going to win, but the performance he's giving in this show is so worthy of a nomination. The only possible explanation I can think of is that the nominating committee didn't like the show, so they didn't nominate Walker, but he deserved it. 

actorsnonactors Profile Photo
actorsnonactors
#139American Psycho was SNUBBED
Posted: 5/24/16 at 3:46am

No awards are comin', and the cast is bummin', I say

uh-oh, uh-oh, uh-oh....

jcitybone
#140American Psycho was SNUBBED
Posted: 5/24/16 at 9:43am

Saw it on Sunday with a group of ten family and friends (five men and five women).  Positive reviews from all--many loved it.  All agreed that that Benjamin Walker was incredible.  Wow!