pixeltracker

Is Fun Home too good for Broadway- Page 2

Is Fun Home too good for Broadway

BroadwayPeasent
#25Is Fun Home too good for Broadway
Posted: 5/28/16 at 10:39pm

AE I just feel that idiotic tourists do not want to see it.

@z5
#26Is Fun Home too good for Broadway
Posted: 5/28/16 at 10:45pm

I'm sorry, but this has to be one of the dumbest proposals or questions I've heard.

BroadwayPeasent
#27Is Fun Home too good for Broadway
Posted: 5/28/16 at 10:46pm

@z5 said: "I'm sorry, but this has to be one of the dumbest proposals or questions I've heard"

You have not been out much have you

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#28Is Fun Home too good for Broadway
Posted: 5/28/16 at 10:47pm

Lol. Here comes the hater who TODAY preached about how rude it is to criticize a show in a thread about it. 

Whizzer: That's an okay question! Yes, I do still experience that. More explicitly with gay men, but I think that's also because women who would find my identity problematic are understandably more careful and filter me out in advance. There is so much complex weirdness around it, it's hard to talk about in brief. I'll PM you a link to a thing I wrote in case this whole social area is of interest to you. Don't want to derail this thread with personal issues too much! 

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#29Is Fun Home too good for Broadway
Posted: 5/28/16 at 10:51pm

Yes, it does interest me. I'll look out for your PM :) 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

@z5
#30Is Fun Home too good for Broadway
Posted: 5/28/16 at 10:52pm

I have, but this is one of the dumbest.

After Eight
#31Is Fun Home too good for Broadway
Posted: 5/28/16 at 10:54pm

Tourists are not idiotic. They often display far better taste, judgment, and common sense than many an "elite" New Yorker.

And if they don't want to see Fun Home, then they're displaying all three.

¿Macavity?
#32Is Fun Home too good for Broadway
Posted: 5/28/16 at 11:13pm

After Eight, I have a question, and I do not mean it sarcastically or in a rude manner, I'm just curious... What is the most recent show that you've seen that you truly enjoyed? What's the most recent musical, that you believe, had deserved it's Best Musical award? Again, I don't mean this in a rude way, as I truly do value your opinions on this board. :)

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#33Is Fun Home too good for Broadway
Posted: 5/28/16 at 11:18pm

@After Eight (aka the posturing troll): you long ago forsook any legitimacy to speak to this (or any other) subject. You have no power here! Begone, before somebody drops a house on you, too!

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#34Is Fun Home too good for Broadway
Posted: 5/28/16 at 11:20pm

In so many different ways, Eight is like if Donald Trump talked about theater. 

Updated On: 5/28/16 at 11:20 PM

stlrod
#35Is Fun Home too good for Broadway
Posted: 5/28/16 at 11:28pm

This idiotic tourist was fortunate enough to be there Wednesday when Judy and Emily returned.  

Updated On: 5/28/16 at 11:28 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#36Is Fun Home too good for Broadway
Posted: 5/28/16 at 11:29pm

¿Macavity? said: "I may very well be, I'm just feeling very anxious about all the shows that are closing at a moment's notice."

Even were it to close before Labor Day, it will go down as a hit that played over 500 performances. That is not a short run. 

ebontoyan
#37Is Fun Home too good for Broadway

I did not have any interest in seeing Fun Home. I don't live in NY but come to NYC 3-4 times a year to watch 5-6 Broadway shows/visit so I consider myself more theater savvy  than tourist.

Updated On: 5/29/16 at 11:29 PM

After Eight
#38Is Fun Home too good for Broadway

Macavity,

I don't remember every Tony nominee for best musical down through the years, but La Cage aux Folles was certainly one that I remember as deserving most resoundingly its best musical ---- and best score --- Tony Awards.

As for the most recent shows I enjoyed to the greatest degree, I guess for musicals it would again be La Cage aux Folles, and for plays, Forty Carats.

¿Macavity?
#39Is Fun Home too good for Broadway
Posted: 5/28/16 at 11:33pm

Thanks! Really nice to know.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#40Is Fun Home too good for Broadway
Posted: 5/29/16 at 12:25am

let that sink in everyone. After Eight hadn't enjoyed a Broadway musical in 32 years and yet he still continues to attend. What dedication.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#41Is Fun Home too good for Broadway
Posted: 5/29/16 at 1:14am

gypsy101 said: "let that sink in everyone. After Eight hadn't enjoyed a Broadway musical in 32 years and yet he still continues to attend. What dedication."

I don't think it does attend; I think it has become a full time troll

mpkie
#42Is Fun Home too good for Broadway
Posted: 5/29/16 at 2:35am

I enjoy being able to see everything that I can get my hands on and have informed opinions, but my friends tend to have limited time and funds.

For one pair, all my recommendations to them thus far has seemed to resonate. I explicitly did not recommend Fun Home, but they went to go see it anyway (because it was critically well-received and has so much positive word-of-mouth). Not surprisingly, they felt lukewarm towards it at best and cold at worst.

They thought none of us enjoyed it because we weren't the target demographic. They thought that people who were less tolerant or less open-minded would find it the most impactful. Maybe that's true. I've lived in NYC all my life, was part of my high school's GSA, am currently an ally in my workplace's LGBT network, lost count of the # of years I've fundraised for AIDS Walk, and became overwhelmed with joy when same-sex marriage finally became legal in the US.

I felt no connection to any of the characters (and did not like the music, honestly). I thought you needed to have some relatable experience to any of those characters to feel an emotional investment.

On the other hand, our friend (who is LGBT) saw it before all of us, and she was really moved by it.

Who can say what is "good"? The only thing you can know is what you like and what you connect with, and even that's not always consistent.

There's a bunch of people out there who don't like it but don't bother to say anything. Forget the wording of the title, this was obviously just to start a lovefest. It is okay to have dissenting opinions, but I think in general people avoid chiming in when it's so heavily skewed a certain way.

TLDR; it's not too good for Broadway. It's fine. I'm happy it moves people, even if I'm not one of them.

BroadwayPeasent
#43Is Fun Home too good for Broadway
Posted: 5/29/16 at 3:15am

stlrod said: "This idiotic tourist was fortunate enough to be there Wednesday when Judy and Emily returned.  

I do not think you are idiotic if you saw it. 

After Eight
#44Is Fun Home too good for Broadway
Posted: 5/29/16 at 6:20am

"There's a bunch of people out there who don't like it but don't bother to say anything."

The intimidation factor works to the advantage of many shows.

aaaaaa15
#45Is Fun Home too good for Broadway
Posted: 5/29/16 at 6:52am

Too good to have a successful run on Broadway? No, it has already done that. Too good to be one of the huge money makers/long running shows? I don't think it's a case of being too good. It's a case of being too small, too heavy and not commercially appealing enough. It's a 90 minute show with a small cast, no huge spectacle, that ends with a suicide and doesn't have any 'name' behind it. 

Updated On: 5/29/16 at 06:52 AM

After Eight
#46Is Fun Home too good for Broadway
Posted: 5/29/16 at 7:11am

"It's a 90 minute show with a small cast, no huge spectacle that ends with a suicide and doesn't have any 'name' behind it. "

It had/has the power of the "arbiters of culture" and the media mega-machine behind it, and that's as good as gold. And it's just that gold that enabled it to move to Broadway and then to run there as long as it has. If word of mouth is finally catching up with it, then that's a good thing.

Updated On: 5/29/16 at 07:11 AM

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#47Is Fun Home too good for Broadway
Posted: 5/29/16 at 7:17am

I'm honestly still not over the fact that you thought people realize they're gay when they turn 18.

indytallguy
#48Is Fun Home too good for Broadway
Posted: 5/29/16 at 7:32am

I'm thinking back to the many comments about how it would never make it to or make it on Broadway, let alone win the TONY.

It had a great run at The Public and has done nicely at Circle in The Square. It has lasted far longer than many thought it would and longer than many shows with less challenging subject matter or much bigger names in the cast.

Everyone involved with its development and this production should be very proud of what has been accomplished.

aaaaaa15
#49Is Fun Home too good for Broadway
Posted: 5/29/16 at 7:38am

indytallguy said: "I'm thinking back to the many comments about how it would never make it to or make it on Broadway, let alone win the TONY.

It had a great run at The Public and has done nicely at Circle in The Square. It has lasted far longer than many thought it would and longer than many shows with less challenging subject matter or much bigger names in the cast.

Everyone involved with its development and this production should be very proud of what has been accomplished.
"

Exactly! Not to mention it recouped and has yet to announce closing. I'm thinking the team are pretty glad they took it to Broadway.