pixeltracker

Friday June 3 Audra out of Act 2 of Shuffle Along

Friday June 3 Audra out of Act 2 of Shuffle Along

romain2
#1Friday June 3 Audra out of Act 2 of Shuffle Along
Posted: 6/3/16 at 11:43pm

Audra started Shuffle Along tonight, did Act 1 splendidly.   An announcement came on at intermission saying her understudy, Darlesia Cearcy, would take over. Cearcy did a commendable job and I have to give Brandon Victor Dixon credit.  He had major scenes with both actresses and gave a seamless performance as if no sudden change had occurred. 

Audra didn't seem ill. Hope she's okay. 

Crazy NooNooHead Profile Photo
Crazy NooNooHead
#2Friday June 3 Audra out of Act 2 of Shuffle Along
Posted: 6/4/16 at 1:29am

I was there tonight too, and thought both Audra and Darlesia were great. Whatever happened, I hope Audra's doing okay and able to recover quickly.

"I have maggots in my scrotum!"

MoDance0934 Profile Photo
MoDance0934
#3Friday June 3 Audra out of Act 2 of Shuffle Along
Posted: 6/4/16 at 8:21am

Well remember... she's expecting a baby. She could've been feeling nauseated (quite severely enough for her to have her understudy finish the show) for all we know.

RogerMoore
#4Friday June 3 Audra out of Act 2 of Shuffle Along
Posted: 6/4/16 at 8:54am

I hope Audra is well and am sorry she had to miss Act 2! I've seen both women perform the role and was truly blown away by Darlesia! I hope to see her perform other roles in the future.

joandorf
#5Friday June 3 Audra out of Act 2 of Shuffle Along
Posted: 6/4/16 at 9:32am

Just saw that Audra will be out of today's performances. Was there last night and she was fantastic.

petewk87
#6Friday June 3 Audra out of Act 2 of Shuffle Along
Posted: 6/4/16 at 11:04am

Just a general question: is the only way to find out if she's out is to show up at the theater and ask the day of?

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#7Friday June 3 Audra out of Act 2 of Shuffle Along
Posted: 6/4/16 at 11:20am

Unless she opts to post on Twitter, that's likely the only way.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

BWayBound115 Profile Photo
BWayBound115
#8Friday June 3 Audra out of Act 2 of Shuffle Along
Posted: 6/4/16 at 1:39pm

I was there last night as well. At one point during the first act, she grabbed her stomach and took a pause, and for some reason, it felt more like Audra feeling something rather than an acting choice. Intermission felt a little long and I said to the person next to me, I wonder if Audra isn't feeling well. 

I thought her understudy was fantastic. I would go again just to see her. Her voice was eerily similar to Audra's with a great belt. What a remarkable show as a whole though!

romain2
#9Friday June 3 Audra out of Act 2 of Shuffle Along
Posted: 6/4/16 at 2:00pm

I thought it was cool seeing both actresses in the role. That worked fine for a show like Shuffle Along that is more meta and documentary like. 

To be honest, I was quite surprised that Audra was doing those dance moves in act one.  Not that pregnant women aren't capable of physical activity.

And yes both women were great. I liked the smokiness of the understudy's voice. 

MannPhan24601
#10Friday June 3 Audra out of Act 2 of Shuffle Along
Posted: 6/4/16 at 2:16pm

Hope nothing bad happened and Audra and her baby are ok....

Updated On: 6/4/16 at 02:16 PM

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#11Friday June 3 Audra out of Act 2 of Shuffle Along
Posted: 6/4/16 at 10:29pm

Waa there an evening curtain tonight? Any updates? 

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#12Friday June 3 Audra out of Act 2 of Shuffle Along
Posted: 6/4/16 at 11:28pm

I don't know if Audra went on tonight. But for those concerned about her health, she was at the theatre and appeared on Adrienne Warren's Tony Awards snapchat takeover this evening. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

SFFrontRow
#13Friday June 3 Audra out of Act 2 of Shuffle Along
Posted: 6/5/16 at 12:05am

I was in the audience on Friday night. I was surprised she did all the dancing. I would have expected her walking through or off to the side during the dance pieces. I thought, I assume she knows her limits.

The intermission seemed long, and I was thinking how I she has always performed in the shows I have seen her in over the years (meaning no understudies). But, I was not shocked to hear she was out for Act 2. I really hope she is okay.

As for the understudy, Darlesia Cearcy was very good. I closed my eyes a few times and she sounds similar to Audra. Very strong and beautiful voice. Her only disadvantage was not playing Act 1 and establishing herself, but I am so glad I got to see Act 1 with Audra. What an embarrassment of riches this show has with its performers. Think about it, Audra is only one of 5 top-tier performers. Then you have the incredible supporting players, and chorus. There is a lot of talent on that stage.

Phantom4ever
#14Friday June 3 Audra out of Act 2 of Shuffle Along
Posted: 6/5/16 at 2:30am

Saw the show tonight, Saturday June 4 at 8 and Audra was radiant.   

She looked and sounded so healthy and her voice was clear and strong.

there were several times when I couldn't believe a pregnant woman would perform such seemingly strenuous moves but I'm sure that she and her doc checked it all out. 

At intermission a lady near me said that Audra should not be in the show when she is so far along in her pregnancy because it was distracting since her character isn't pregnant. She also said that the costume department should create dresses that flatter her pregnant figure more or hide it more.  Well, as you could imagine, everyone around her jumped in the conversation and defended Audra and said it was miraculous that a pregnant woman could and would perform and do it so well.  

Besides that , the show is in great shape. I last saw it in March where it was messy and disjointed. Now it is tight and moved along at a brisk pace. Lots of new set pieces and costume added since March as well. 

P.s. A friend of mine in the show invited me backstage/onstage after the show and Bobby Cannavale and Patti Lupone were there.  

Updated On: 6/5/16 at 02:30 AM

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#15Friday June 3 Audra out of Act 2 of Shuffle Along
Posted: 6/5/16 at 2:52am

Off-topic, but does SHUFFLE have a Pride Playbill, or do they still have some from May?

So happy to hear Audra was on and fab!

Phantom4ever
#16Friday June 3 Audra out of Act 2 of Shuffle Along
Posted: 6/5/16 at 3:01am

There was no pride playbill tonight 

neonlightsxo
#17Friday June 3 Audra out of Act 2 of Shuffle Along
Posted: 6/5/16 at 10:47am

The misogyny of these comments about what pregnant women can and cannot do on this board is insane.

dev101
#18Friday June 3 Audra out of Act 2 of Shuffle Along
Posted: 6/5/16 at 11:33am

Medically speaking, as long as there are no other issues, pregnant women can continue to exercise as they have before their pregnancy. It's actually healthy. So enough with people saying she shouldn't be dancing! She can do whatever she wants during her pregnancy! 

Phantom4ever
#19Friday June 3 Audra out of Act 2 of Shuffle Along
Posted: 6/5/16 at 12:00pm

Yes I thought it was so inspiring to see her on stage giving an amazing performance while pregnant.  The woman in my section who said otherwise was quickly chastised by a whole bunch of strangers so that was good.  

romain2
#20Friday June 3 Audra out of Act 2 of Shuffle Along
Posted: 6/5/16 at 2:43pm

My pregnant sister was out chopping fire wood...the day she gave birth to her second child.

I'm glad to hear that Ms. McDonald is back in the show and feeling better.