pixeltracker

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions- Page 4

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions

Liza's Headband
#75Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/23/16 at 2:00pm

Daddy Warbucks said: "I think Dear Evan Hansen will suffer a bit from having been opened a few months and not as fresh and new in the Tony voters' minds.  Reduced buzz.  Hamilton did fine by the time the Tonys rolled around, but this isn't Hamilton. Therefore, if Great Comet can survive until the Tony's, I see it splitting the art vote from DEH, and watch for Anastasia to swing in as the last minute fresh and buzzing entry in late April with the out of town vote helping to boost it ahead of the split DEH and comet voters. 

DEH, more so than Anastasia in my opinion, will benefit the most if Comet stumbles. 

"

EL OH EL! Beyond ridiculous. Its Broadway opening generates brand-new buzz which, when combined with very deep pockets (it has it) and aggressive press junkets (there will be), will easily carry it through to the spring. 

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#76Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/23/16 at 2:34pm

Sure Headache, whatever you say. And since you know everything about EV-ER-Y THING maybe you can list who is going to take home Tonys for the years 2017, 2018 and 2019.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#77Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/23/16 at 2:42pm

Do we really think either Dear Evan Hansen or The Great Comet will struggle to get through the spring? Both come to Broadway after wildly acclaimed productions, and have strong material and what seems to be a really good cast. Comet is selling quite well by the sounds of it, and Hansen hasn't even started the big promos we can expect from Platt as a producer. There's also good Tony buzz for both shows.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#78Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/23/16 at 5:32pm

Headband, have you invested in DEH or something? You seem extraordinarily committed to promoting your hope for its commercial success on here. Genuinely wondering. 

Liza's Headband
#79Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 8/23/16 at 6:25pm

Valentina3 said: "Do we really think either Dear Evan Hansen or The Great Comet will struggle to get through the spring? Both come to Broadway after wildly acclaimed productions, and have strong material and what seems to be a really good cast. Comet is selling quite well by the sounds of it, and Hansen hasn't even started the big promos we can expect from Platt as a producer. There's also good Tony buzz for both shows.

"

Marc Platt is neither an investor nor producer of this musical. 

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#80Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 9/3/16 at 6:01pm

Valentina3 said: "Do we really think either Dear Evan Hansen or The Great Comet will struggle to get through the spring? Both come to Broadway after wildly acclaimed productions, and have strong material and what seems to be a really good cast. Comet is selling quite well by the sounds of it, and Hansen hasn't even started the big promos we can expect from Platt as a producer. There's also good Tony buzz for both shows."

I would hope both do incredibly well and recoup.  We need more shows on Broadway to recoup and make money, and I am in support of as many shows as possible that are not jukebox musicals. 

I don't think DEH will "struggle to get through spring", but I could see the buzz being not as great by Tony voting time.  There's a reason why everyone would love to open in April if given the choice.  I saw Anastasia at Hartford and I can at least imagine a world where it opens up to great reviews and being the type of spectacle with wide audience appeal in April that could draw a good number of votes (and possibly the so called "road vote"Way too early 2017 Tony predictions.  Pin a DEH that has been out for a number of months against fresh new contenders like Anastasia and others and you have yourself an interesting competition at the very least.  

With COMET I think anything could happen.  I love the idea of the show and the opener is so great.  But I could also see it peaking really early and struggling to get through Spring.  It's a very different show and it's not clear to me how audiences are going to receive it. 

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#81Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 9/3/16 at 6:04pm

What is everyone's way too early guess on Tony for Best Musical Revival?  Cats / Hello Dolly / Miss Saigon / Falsettos?

BroadwayConcierge
#82Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 9/3/16 at 7:37pm

I'm thinking Dolly or Saigon

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#83Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 9/3/16 at 10:34pm

I think Dolly unless they manage to screw it up.

broadwayguy91
#84Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 9/3/16 at 11:10pm

is Holiday Inn considered a new musical or a revival?

BroadwayConcierge
#85Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 9/5/16 at 10:10am

We'll find out about Holiday Inn after the first round of Tony eligibility rulings, which I believe should be in mid-November.

Just to condense the options for what I believe consists of the upcoming season so far...

Best Musical
Anastasia
A Bronx Tale
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Come From Away
Dear Evan Hansen
Groundhog Day
In Transit
Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812
War Paint

Best Revival of a Musical
Cats
Falsettos
Hello, Dolly!
Miss Saigon

Undecided/Not Yet Announced
Holiday Inn (ruling: new or revival?)
Amélie (new)
Half Time (new)
The Bandstand (new)
SpongeBob: The Musical (new)
The Wiz (revival)
Singin' in the Rain (revival)
Whorehouse (revival)
Smokey Joe's Café (revival)

Updated On: 10/13/16 at 10:10 AM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#86Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 9/5/16 at 10:53am

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Singin' in the Rain and Smokey Joe's Cafe are now slated for next season. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Green_Flash
#87Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 9/5/16 at 11:28am

Broadway Concierge: you forgot as potentials:

GROUNHOG DAY

GOTTA DANCE (or is that now called Halftime?)

hork Profile Photo
hork
#88Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 9/5/16 at 11:39am

Why would Holiday Inn be a revival?

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#89Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 9/13/16 at 3:40pm

So now that Groundhog Day is confirmed.... What predictions for this show? And how will it change previous predictions?

neonlightsxo
#90Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 9/13/16 at 3:41pm

It won't. Don't worry.

BroadwayConcierge
#91Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 10/13/16 at 5:27pm

Now that War Paint is officially in... any thoughts changing? I think Best Actress is still going to be Bette's to lose, but the nominations for that category are going to be insane...

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#92Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 10/13/16 at 7:29pm

MY GUESSES SO FAR (Bold is winner):

BEST MUSICAL 

Anastasia/War Paint

Come From Away

Dear Evan Hansen

Groundhog Day

Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812

BEST LEADING ACTOR

Christian Borle

Jon Jon Briones

Andy Karl

Ben Platt

Josh Groban/David Hyde Pierce/Ethan Slater (?)

BEST LEADING ACTRESS

Christy Altomare

Denée Benton 

Christine Ebersole

Patti LuPone

Bette Middler

BEST FEATURED ACTRESS

Kate Baldwin

Mary Beth Peil

Caroline O’Conner

Rachel Bay Jones

I was thinking of Rachelle Ann Go for Gigi, but that's a tiny part, right????

BEST FEATURED ACTOR

John Bolton

Gavin Creel

Whoever plays Grandpa Joe in Charlie

???

Gavin Lee (???)

Updated On: 10/13/16 at 07:29 PM

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#93Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 10/13/16 at 7:39pm

"I was thinking of Rachelle Ann Go for Gigi, but that's a tiny part, right????"

Very small, just one song. I think actress playing Ellen has some really good material to work with, as far as featured roles go. But with Sunset Boulevard coming in now.. *shuvers *

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#94Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 10/13/16 at 7:42pm

I know this is a nomination/awards prediction thread, but I really wanna see Hello, Dolly! cast make fun of #PutSimmardOn in some way coming Tony season.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#95Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 10/13/16 at 9:26pm

Valentina3 said: "But with Sunset Boulevard coming in now.. *shuvers *"

do you mean *shivers*? or maybe *shudders*?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#96Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 10/13/16 at 10:46pm

gypsy101 said: "I really thought the way-too-early 2016 thread was one of the best ones of the year (lots of the nominations / wins spot on, some missed the mark). With that in mind, now that this year's awards are behind us, let us predict some way too early 2017 Tony nominations / wins!"

But one of the reasons for that is because Hamilton opened a month after the Tony Awards in 2015!!! Way too early 2017 Tony predictions

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#97Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 10/13/16 at 11:17pm

I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone even mentioned Amelie as a potential nominee for Best New Musical. It's opening in the spring. And Phiippa Soo is in the starring role, and I wouldn't be shocked if she received a nomination either. 

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

BroadwayConcierge
#98Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 10/13/16 at 11:22pm

RaisedOnMusicals, I think there is already an embarrassment of riches confirmed for this season that people are focusing on currently confirmed shows. Though you are absolutely right, I think Soo will definitely be a contender for a nomination if and when it's slated for a theater. 

broadwayguy91
#99Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 10/13/16 at 11:27pm

Amelie hasn't even had it's LA tryout yet, so we have yet to see how the initial reviews are and how well it sells at the Ahmanson. 

Videos