Choosing our next musical

klmcln
#1Choosing our next musical
Posted: 6/18/16 at 2:12pm

Sorry if people find these kinds of posts obnoxious, but I always enjoy helping brainstorm for other's next productions so I hope there are some people who would like to suggest shows :)  The productions are 9th and 10th grade students.  We don't get huge influxes of new students, so I have a pretty good idea of what we will have.  We have one girl who is short in stature, but is a versatile actress, excellent dancer (including tap), and fantastic voice.  And a male lead who isn't a brilliant singer, but can definitely sing in tune and sing harmony too (just not a super strong high tenor for example) and he is a brilliant comedic actor.  Essentially, we need a show that features these two and doesn't have a gigantic cast, and is appropriate for 9th and 10th graders.  We have a few girls who would be exceptional supporting leads, and less guys (like everywhere!)   In recent years we've done Fiddler, The Music Man, Seussical, The Secret Garden, Annie, High School Musical.   

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#2Choosing our next musical
Posted: 6/18/16 at 2:47pm

Not sure about the size cast needed, but how about 42nd Street? I saw a Youth Theater Group do it a few years ago, and it was an amazing production. Or, since that's just running on Broadway, She Loves Me. I could see that working if your lead girl is a soprano.

I also love A Little Princess. It's never been on Broadway, but it's available for licencing and I know it's done regionally ect. I've never seen it but I adore the studio recording (music by Andrew Lippa), and it's a very cute children's story based on the book. http://andrewlippa.com/a-little-princess/ The whole recording is on YouTube, too, if you want to listen to it.

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#3Choosing our next musical
Posted: 6/18/16 at 2:47pm

double post

Updated On: 6/18/16 at 02:47 PM

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#4Choosing our next musical
Posted: 6/18/16 at 2:51pm

Little Shop of Horrors? 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

pupscotch
#5Choosing our next musical
Posted: 6/18/16 at 3:28pm

The Drowsy Chaperone? Your comedic actor could be either Man in Chair or Aldolpho (depending on what kind of comedy he can play), and your talented girl could play Janet, plus it's a small cast with lots of supporting roles.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#6Choosing our next musical
Posted: 6/18/16 at 3:47pm

Two By Two

ilovebroadway3
#7Choosing our next musical
Posted: 6/18/16 at 4:04pm

Thoroughly Modern Millie

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#8Choosing our next musical
Posted: 6/18/16 at 4:36pm

My fair lady

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BroadwayMan5
#9Choosing our next musical
Posted: 6/18/16 at 4:58pm

Crazy for You?

You'd need some other strong male actors but only need one strong male singer (and he's a baritone)

pickles2
#10Choosing our next musical
Posted: 6/18/16 at 6:12pm

One of the best high school productions I saw was actually Oliver!, with a very small in stature girl playing the role of Oliver. And Fagin is certainly a great comedic role.

klmcln
#11Choosing our next musical
Posted: 6/18/16 at 6:26pm

Thanks everyone!  Please keep the suggestions coming! 

I am intrigued by the idea of My Fair Lady - the accents would have to be good though - it would be brutal with bad accents. 

I also love The Little Princess and have wanted to do it for a few years but I don't think it has a good role for the lead male that we have - maybe an option for the future.  

I also would love to do Thoroughly Modern Millie but we do have a fair share of Chinese students at our school and I'm not sure how well that would go over. Same thing for Anything Goes.    

And I have my heart set on doing The Drowsy Chaperone with a different theatre group - not sure about that one yet. 

KCW Profile Photo
KCW
#12Choosing our next musical
Posted: 6/18/16 at 10:56pm

This two would probably be out of age range, but Sweeney Todd and The Baker's Wife. Look into the bakers wife, it could work depending on your area's tolerance. It's nothing major. What I would recomedded is Pippin. There is a school edition and has a fair amount of roles for girls. The only thing that could be lacking is a Charlemagne and comedy for the male. (I'm saying girl as lp, guy as pippin but could you swap the two? It would be absolutely unorthodox and may not work script wise but would give comedy to male.) Just throwing it out, (size for the girl may not work and I'm not sure about the ethnic breakup) Hairspray? I don't know much about your people and area so I could be absolutely off, like when people ask "male audition songs???" But I hope to help.

I appoligise for any spelling mistakes. I may be on my mobile. Clumsy fingers and small little touchscreen keys don't mixx. I try to spellcheck, but I may miss something.

TerrenceIsTheMann
#13Choosing our next musical
Posted: 6/18/16 at 11:56pm

She Loves Me sounds like it would be perfect for your leads. Idk about the # of guys, but "Mrs. Maraczek, try me!" would make for an interesting night of theater!

AEA AGMA SM
#14Choosing our next musical
Posted: 6/19/16 at 1:13am

From what you mentioned of your male talent I would avoid My Fair Lady. You need three very strong male leads for that. Higgins and Pickering need that very dry, British wit to keep their banter lively. And the show absolutely dies if you don't have an Alfie Doolittle who can't handle the more low-brow comedy and sell the hell out of "Little Bit of Luck" and "Get Me to the Church on Time" (I speak from experience having worked on a production with a Doolittle who sang wonderfully but had absolutely no sense of the comedy; his scenes fell so absolutely flat and failed to provide the huge comic relief the character brings to what can be a very long show).

VintageSnarker
#15Choosing our next musical
Posted: 6/19/16 at 1:51am

"We have one girl who is short in stature, but is a versatile actress, excellent dancer (including tap), and fantastic voice.  And a male lead who isn't a brilliant singer, but can definitely sing in tune and sing harmony too (just not a super strong high tenor for example) and he is a brilliant comedic actor.  Essentially, we need a show that features these two and doesn't have a gigantic cast, and is appropriate for 9th and 10th graders."

My first thought was Sweet Charity. 

Shrek could work if you're open to casting girls as some of the male characters. Once Upon A Mattress could work but you'd need to find some more guys. You can do Dames at Sea with a small cast if they can dance. Bells Are Ringing?

Heathers would likely be an issue for a school. Maybe The Apple Tree but there's not much for the ensemble there. Could you manage Chicago?

freewilma
#16Choosing our next musical
Posted: 6/19/16 at 2:07pm

This past year MANY high schools in our area have been doing the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.  It can be a flexible sized cast and the one song that some might consider a bit edgy (my unfortunate erection) has an approved version that's appropriate for all ages.  It's hilarious with some nice featured roles. 

There seems to be a trend for high schools AWAY from the old stand-bys.  Area schools have seen success with newer shows like Legally Blonde, Wedding Singer (two productions in the area this spring alone), and the Addams Family.  Maybe consider Little Shop of Horrors for a smaller cast too?  

Good luck and let us know what you choose.