pixeltracker

SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs- Page 9

SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#200SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/30/16 at 4:45pm

Not sure if Audra is in or out tonight or tomorrow-TDF doesn't say so, but it's on TKTS tonight and TDF tomorrow. So, if it's available with Ms. MCDonald, I guess the Producers got wary.

neonlightsxo
#201SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/30/16 at 4:50pm

I saw Shuffle with Audra via TDF (great seats) the night before the closing notice.

Jarethan
#202SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/30/16 at 5:43pm

EthelMae said: "Not sure if Audra is in or out tonight or tomorrow-TDF doesn't say so, but it's on TKTS tonight and TDF tomorrow. So, if it's available with Ms. MCDonald, I guess the Producers got wary.

I was flabbergasted to see it at TKTS last night.  I expected all of Audra's performances to be sold out until closing, based on grosses prior to the announcement, limited remaining time, reasons given for closing, etc.  Maybe, just like Follies a few years ago, everyone who REALLY wanted to see Audra or the show, saw her in the first three months.  I am not saying that fans would not have continued to come, a la Follies, but the zealots would have slowed down and business would have begun to fall.

Ironically, when I saw this, I wondered how it was ever going to return its investment, given the size of the cast (large for these days), number of stars who would presumably be well paid, and the small size of the theatre.  And this was with the expectation that sellout business would continue. (Dumb me...I assumed that they would be able to absorb lost business due to Audra's absence via 3 paths: after all, she was to be gone mostly in the summer, when business is also for musicals in general; by increasing the focus on the reviews, the stars they still had; and reserves they would have put aside for this period!

But, in the best scenario, the nut had to be too high, relative to the potential gross and investment to be returned.  

"

bear88
#203SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 7/2/16 at 4:22am

After we made the decision to bite the bullet on Hamilton during my trip to New York in April, this was other new musical that I wanted to see. So I'm an outlier: a tourist who hasn't seen a Broadway show in years who saw Shuffle Along even though I didn't know that Audra McDonald had won 6 Tonys or been in a hit TV show.

It's too bad that things didn't work out. I enjoyed the show overall, and was very impressed by the cast, by the fantastic "Suitcase Dance," and by a lot of the interesting history. I agree that it was an ensemble show, not a star vehicle for McDonald, at least in the preview I saw. (I know the second act was altered later, but not so much to change that.) 

But I will concede that I wanted to like the show more than I actually did, because it was so original - even with old songs - and took chances, even when some of them didn't work. (Musicals based on movies don't do a lot for me.) And seeing Hamilton drove home the problem; Shuffle Along wasn't as good a show, not by a long shot. 

I remain somewhat puzzled by the producers' decisions, as they knew McDonald would be out. But they may have underestimated her drawing power, and there is a difference between being gone for three months and a maternity leave of uncertain duration. People were going to wait for her return, I guess, or maybe - as has been suggested here and elsewhere - the show was starting to struggle even now. 

Jayar2 Profile Photo
Jayar2
#204SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 7/3/16 at 11:28am

Seeing the show today-- I bought tickets long ago when Audra was going to be away for her stint in London.  Does anybody know if we will be lucky enough to see her?  I guess I can wait a few hours to discover if she is there, but I thought I would ask. Thank you!

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
broadwayboy223
#206SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 7/4/16 at 12:37pm

Anyone know if we are getting a cast album yet?

BeingAlive 2
#207SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 7/4/16 at 5:12pm

Saw this two days ago and cannot express how upset I am to see this show go so soon. I truly adored this show. As a non-white performer myself, I especially felt connected to the story they were telling and the way in which they were allowing the brilliant black creators of Shuffle Along to reclaim their story, their history, and their legacy. It hurts even more to hear them sing about not being remembered and then worrying that this show will not even get a cast recording. 

Other things that really spoke to me and make me so sad that this is closing. 

-The Gershwin number (does anyone know the name?) was so brilliantly done in my opinion. By utilizing so many melodies, phrases, and lines that are familiar to us, and then twisting that with a commentary of how one's legacy has been so powerful, yet the work that influenced it and its innovations has not been given the same credit. Brilliant. 

- Audra, as expected, can do no wrong. To see her so light, so vital, so charming, and so dazzling was a sheer joy. And also so enjoyed hearing her utilize her head voice, her mid range, AND scatting so effortlessly and so gorgeously. Not to mention her tapping. And all this while pregnant. Truly a once in a lifetime type of performer. 

- Adrienne Warren is a star and I am so excited to see all that she does in the future. Couldn't take my eyes off of her and enjoyed both of her characterizations so much. 

- Brandon Victor Dixon and Joshua Henry: Something about seeing them together made me so emotional. Here are two phenomenally talented actors of colors who have been up for the same roles, who have replaced each other, and who have been compared to each other and now they are given the opportunity to share a show and their chemistry is PERFECT and they are completely in synch. So powerful to see them together and I just hope they keep working and working and working. 

Updated On: 7/4/16 at 05:12 PM

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#208SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 7/4/16 at 7:39pm

We saw this Saturday night and it was definitely our favorite of the 3 we saw this weekend (also saw The Color Purple and American in Paris).  Shame it's closing so soon.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#209SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 7/4/16 at 8:07pm

BeingAlive 2 said: "The Gershwin number (does anyone know the name?) was so brilliantly done in my opinion."

I think the title was "Til Georgie Took 'Em Away" or something along those lines.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."
Updated On: 7/5/16 at 08:07 PM

bryan
#210SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 7/5/16 at 12:29pm

they need to do a cast cd made today. why are they not doing one.