#25Riedel on Great Comet's big price tag
Posted: 6/24/16 at 12:42pm

That's helpful, thanks! 

Jesus saves. I spend.

buhbuhbilly Profile Photo
buhbuhbilly
#26Riedel on Great Comet's big price tag
Posted: 6/24/16 at 12:50pm

you can simply look at what seats are available online and see for yourself.. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#27Riedel on Great Comet's big price tag
Posted: 6/24/16 at 12:53pm

I think the music box would have been better. Wide stage, narrow mezz. Would have proved a good view for everyone.

neonlightsxo
#28Riedel on Great Comet's big price tag
Posted: 6/24/16 at 12:58pm

The number of seats that appear to be available is not indicative of what a show's advance is.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#29Riedel on Great Comet's big price tag
Posted: 6/24/16 at 1:11pm

buhbuhbilly said: "you can simply look at what seats are available online and see for yourself.. "

that's not a reliable metric. And the wraps suggest the contrary. I suspect this show will arrive at the Tonys, if at all, with a $20mil hole. It's OTT redux. 

AnnieBlack
#30Riedel on Great Comet's big price tag
Posted: 6/24/16 at 1:32pm

I went to look for tickets on tele charge this morning & couldn't find it at first- it's now being called 'The Great Comet'- poor Natasha & Pierre seem to have been jettisoned in the title! 

neonlightsxo
#31Riedel on Great Comet's big price tag
Posted: 6/24/16 at 1:36pm

I did the same the other day. Couldn't find it because I was looking under the Ns, but it's under the G for Great Comet. They need to list its full title on Telecharge or change the title altogether. That's a simple, stupid mistake.

AnnieBlack
#32Riedel on Great Comet's big price tag
Posted: 6/24/16 at 9:00pm

Also- when i looked last week, there were plenty of tickets for shows in December- When I looked this evening, there are about 2 tickets for each date- is this is weird tele charge glitch- have ticket sales suddenly picked up significantly? Have the producers made less tickets available on line?

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#33Riedel on Great Comet's big price tag
Posted: 6/24/16 at 11:30pm

AnnieBlack said: "Also- when i looked last week, there were plenty of tickets for shows in December- When I looked this evening, there are about 2 tickets for each date- is this is weird tele charge glitch- have ticket sales suddenly picked up significantly? Have the producers made less tickets available on line?"

It's common for the box office not to sell ALL of the seats.  I highly doubt ticket sales suddenly picked up. 

I agree with neonlightsxo .... I'm holding off buying a ticket. Then again, my strategy with Broadway nowadays is to buy a rush/lottery/discounted ticket during previews and then pay full price for the seat that I actually want to sit in after watching the preview. 

I did see it at the Kazino tent and somehow someway think the intimacy will be gone once it comes to Broadway --- but I hope I'll be mistaken.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#34Riedel on Great Comet's big price tag
Posted: 6/25/16 at 12:15am

I don't know. I think it's going to be a hit. I don't think it's off-Broadway appeal can really mean anything. I think it's going to rock Broadway and be the next coolest thing.

AEA AGMA SM
#35Riedel on Great Comet's big price tag
Posted: 6/25/16 at 1:32am

Josh Groban is hugely popular with the middle-aged housewife crowd. He's consistently amongst the favorite guest hosts on Live with Kelly, and just the exposure from him talking about the show there will probably sell a good number of tickets (it's one of the few shows in recent years that my mom has asked me about before I've said anything about it to her). 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#36Riedel on Great Comet's big price tag
Posted: 6/25/16 at 1:52am

AEA, I'd like to see this succeed, but can I ask a question about that mother of yours? At what price point will she see the show? 

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#37Riedel on Great Comet's big price tag
Posted: 6/25/16 at 2:05am

I had seen Grobin in a concert version of Chess where he sang the songs well if with less passion than I would have liked but his acting was shall we say - amateurish. He shrank up against a cast of pros. 

That said the idea of casting him leans more towards box office than art and this show screams art. If he is scheduled to leave after 8 mos the only way Comet will pay back is via those premium on stage seats. So they are counting on Josh's swooning fans wanting to be up close and personal with him. 

Like Hedwig and now Shuffle I don't see Comet getting beyond the stunt casting. It's way too off beat to appeal to a vast audience and Grobin isn't as much of a household name as one would think. To contradict myself if Sarah Barrelis can put fannys in the seats at Waitress / Grobin should be able to do the same. But is 8 months enough time to recoup especially if Grobin is getting 100k a week?

Up In One
Updated On: 6/25/16 at 02:05 AM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#38Riedel on Great Comet's big price tag
Posted: 6/25/16 at 2:40am

Is he really getting 100K per week? Al Pacinio was only getting 25K. I can't imagine Groban is making more than him. Remember, Groban gets a percentage of the box office, so if the show sells out, yes. He could make 100K, but on average? Probably not. 

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#39Riedel on Great Comet's big price tag
Posted: 6/25/16 at 3:16am

RippedMan said: "Is he really getting 100K per week? Al Pacinio was only getting 25K. I can't imagine Groban is making more than him. Remember, Groban gets a percentage of the box office, so if the show sells out, yes. He could make 100K, but on average? Probably not. "

Riddle says he could make about $100'000 because of the cut of the box office he gets. He doesn't say he is making $100K on a weekly basis. It's just such a poorly written article.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

rjm516
#40Riedel on Great Comet's big price tag
Posted: 6/25/16 at 8:02am

"He’s a talented guy — the reviews for this show have been strong — but he’s no Miranda."

god he is such a dick

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#41Riedel on Great Comet's big price tag
Posted: 6/25/16 at 11:23am

If they can sell tickets at the posted prices while he is in the show, then he will make that much. The gamble here is that there are 350,000 people out there willing to do that. I don't think there are. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#42Riedel on Great Comet's big price tag
Posted: 6/25/16 at 11:43am

For those of you who think this will be a hit, which of the songs sung by Pierre will be known as the hit song from the musical?

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#43Riedel on Great Comet's big price tag
Posted: 6/25/16 at 11:56am

"GROBAN isn't as much of a household name as one would think.

As someone who used to work at a store that sold CDs, Josh GROBAN is an absolutely HUGE household name for white ladies from 25-95. HUGE. Will they buy tickets to a weird Broadway show? Not sure. However... white ladies from 25-95 is a pretty large contingent of Broadway ticket buyers. 

Jesus saves. I spend.
Updated On: 6/25/16 at 11:56 AM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#44Riedel on Great Comet's big price tag
Posted: 6/25/16 at 12:01pm

GROBAN

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

yknot
#45Riedel on Great Comet's big price tag
Posted: 6/25/16 at 2:17pm

Wick3: "Dust And Ashes," a song written for the ART run. They've already recorded a single version of it with Groban, and it's beautiful.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#46Riedel on Great Comet's big price tag
Posted: 6/25/16 at 2:40pm

I just told my boyfriend the other night that i got us tickets onstage and he was so excited...because of Groban lol. I didn't know he liked Josh Groban!

yknot, where can I hear the single?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#47Riedel on Great Comet's big price tag
Posted: 6/25/16 at 10:42pm

yknot said: "Wick3: "Dust And Ashes," a song written for the ART run. They've already recorded a single version of it with Groban, and it's beautiful."

Ah ok then. When I saw it at the Kazino in midtown two years ago, none of Pierre's songs resonated with me. I'm glad they wrote that song then for ART and that it will feature Groban singing it this fall. 

indytallguy
#48Riedel on Great Comet's big price tag
Posted: 6/26/16 at 7:17am

Groban definitely seems to have been out and about doing his part mentioning the show a lot lately from TV appearances to Wait Wait Don't Tell Me on NPR.

mpkie
#49Riedel on Great Comet's big price tag
Posted: 6/26/16 at 2:38pm

gypsy101 said: "I just told my boyfriend the other night that i got us tickets onstage and he was so excited...because of Groban lol. I didn't know he liked Josh Groban!"

I bought a ticket because of Groban... and I'm not even a fan of his! LOL. Yes, I'm confused myself.

I was actually on the fence about this but curious due to the all the talk on this forum. I watched all the clips available and listened to some of the original cast album .... and it put me even more firmly on the fence. Even with the limited time ART promo, I was still on the fence and had to sleep on it. But finally decided to go for it simply because Groban was the tipping point.

I'm hoping it's amazing.