STRANGER THINGS on Netflix- Page 2

STRANGER THINGS on Netflix

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#25STRANGER THINGS on Netflix
Posted: 7/27/16 at 1:32pm

This is fun (but watch at your own risk regarding SPOILERS) wink

EVERY FILM REFERENCE, SIDE-BY-SIDE

EDIT: I am officially a Barb convert. The tipping point was seeing her "alter" in the above film (LOVE her!). For the record, I am wearing a high-necked blouse and mom jeans as I write this.

Updated On: 7/27/16 at 01:32 PM

hork Profile Photo
hork
#26STRANGER THINGS on Netflix
Posted: 7/28/16 at 2:17am

Jordan Catalano said: "If you don't like it, watch something else. 

I usually give a show at least three episodes before bailing, unless the first episode is terrible.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#27STRANGER THINGS on Netflix
Posted: 7/28/16 at 11:07am

@hork:

I think I know what you mean when you write about "cliche". I saw almost every element of the series (characters, plot elements, camera angles, lighting, etc.) as being pastiche. Little was actually written or created. Nearly all elements were fairly close recreations of the original source material, and that fell a bit flat with me in some instances.

But it was still worth watching. For me, it was fun to place the source material. Also, even though there was very little that was authentically "created" in the series, the majority of the time I watched, I had a constant and comforting feeling of nostalgia.

I think that's because the Duffer brothers relentlessly bombarded me with so many examples on multiple levels. For example a specific camera angle triggered one response (I don't know if there's a specific name for it, but it's where the camera is place below waist level so we're looking up, and the camera zooms in towards the face), the cadence of a line delivery triggered another, the recreation of an entire scene, blah, blah, blah...

All those elements stirred into one pot was fun to watch. I had issues with pacing of the first episodes, and I thought a little tightening of "focus" (for example, restraining the genre and era elements) would have been better.

I'd be interested to see if limiting the number of episodes from 8 to maybe 5 or 6 would improve some of the issues I found fault with.

Updated On: 7/28/16 at 11:07 AM

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#28STRANGER THINGS on Netflix
Posted: 7/28/16 at 12:53pm

Watched the series in three nights. Overall I enjoyed it and loved catching the various film references. Thought the casting was phenomenal. specially the kids My only nit-picking is the problem I have with many Horror/Fantasy Films. In order to really work for me, they have to set up the rules early on and then continue to play by them. With this series it bothered me that the Portal was in the facility, yet no, not really, there were pretty much everywhere. One did not have to pass through a portal to experience the dark blue snow effect either. It seemed to happen in the "real world as well and yet the opposite didn't seem to happen in the upside down world.

In that side by side comparison video they didn't show Altered States which a few of The Bath scenes borrowed from.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#29STRANGER THINGS on Netflix
Posted: 7/28/16 at 11:45pm

*Spoilers ahead!*

I finished the season tonight after working through it in about a week.

I was completely blown away by each and every episode. I found it to be visually stunning; there were some beautiful images throughout the series. The recurring motif of lights was great, especially in the final episode. The references to all the various 80's movies were fun and it was enjoyable to catch them.

Every actor was perfectly suited to their role. I don't remember the last time that I was so captivated by performances by child actors. It was nice to see young broadway alum in there. Ryder was incredible and it was great to see her showcased so strongly.

The plot never felt slow to me, it seemed like there was something new and interesting every two minutes. I absolutely loved the storyline. I am already very much looking forward to the next season.

I don't know how many people here have seen the movie Krampus, it was released in theaters last holiday season. The ending of Stranger Things seemed very reminiscent of the ending of Krampus, with the last minute reveal that everything isn't normal again even though it seems to be, combined with the fact that it was Christmas. Even the camera panning out through the window was similar. Maybe I'm just making things up. Anyone?

Overall, I thought it was an incredible season and I can't wait to see how it's followed up. I truly think that it's the best thing Netflix has ever done. Great casting, great writing, great direction. Loved it.

Updated On: 7/28/16 at 11:45 PM

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#30STRANGER THINGS on Netflix
Posted: 7/29/16 at 2:18pm

SNAFU said: "Watched the series in three nights. Overall I enjoyed it and loved catching the various film references. Thought the casting was phenomenal. specially the kids My only nit-picking is the problem I have with many Horror/Fantasy Films. In order to really work for me, they have to set up the rules early on and then continue to play by them. With this series it bothered me that the Portal was in the facility, yet no, not really, there were pretty much everywhere. One did not have to pass through a portal to experience the dark blue snow effect either. It seemed to happen in the "real world as well and yet the opposite didn't seem to happen in the upside down world.

In that side by side comparison video they didn't show Altered States which a few of The Bath scenes borrowed from.

"

Spoilers.  

I do have have a few plot quibbles (maybe some of this was set up to be explained in season 2). Why was Will targeted by the monster?  I don't even remember if he was bleeding but I don't think so. 

Ok his mom had a new, larger house in the final scene, right?  Umm how?  Did she sue for wrongful death after all? 

I admit in general I didn't get why the monster could enter their house, but otherwise seemed stuck to the forest. And I agree with the comment that it seemed odd that all but the ending scene took place over just one week in Nov 1983 and not a longer time frame which is how it felt. (Btw Sunglasses at Night was not released until Jan 1984). 

Updated On: 7/29/16 at 02:18 PM

EricMontreal22
#31STRANGER THINGS on Netflix
Posted: 7/29/16 at 2:22pm

Btw avclub had an interview with the creators where they mentioned what a huge influence on them Dan Simmons' Summer of Night was. I was pleased, not just cuz that's one of my all time fave horror novels but it often is overshadowed by the better known It (it does have a similar premise to It's first half) but I actually prefer it and see more of a depth in this to Night than to It. 

Farmer's Daughter Profile Photo
Farmer's Daughter
#32STRANGER THINGS on Netflix
Posted: 7/29/16 at 2:29pm

EricMontreal22 said: 
"Ok his mom had a new, larger house in the final scene, right?  Umm how?  Did she sue for wrongful death after all?"

Bit neater and more organized maybe, but same house. Same wallpaper ... light over kitchen table ...

formerly JbaraFan1 8/14/04-2/14/16

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#33STRANGER THINGS on Netflix
Posted: 7/29/16 at 3:49pm

Watched the first two episodes this afternoon. Will surely watch a few more later tonight into the morning!

Just give the world Love.

Farmer's Daughter
#34STRANGER THINGS on Netflix
Posted: 7/29/16 at 4:07pm

Okay, so I had a minute, y'all. lol  

Toward end of episode 8, bulletin board at Byers home, decorated with Christmas cards, a holiday ribbon/book marker(?), and four newspaper clippings.
Two out of four clippings, I can only make out the headlines. The other two, I've transcribed as best I can.

Clipping #1, the one with Will's photo:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

THE BOY WHO CAME BACK TO LIFE

The former missing child Will Byers has been found after a week of searching. He is presently in stable conditon in Hawkins General Hospital. Byers' mother, Joyce Byers alleges that Will was the subject of a secret government program run by the Hawkins National Laboratory. The allegation comes amidst a massive investigation into the hidden organization and its elaborate experimentations in perusal of mind control.
  The abuse detailed in the first report includes prolonged physical duress and psychological interrogation. This (government) sanctioned torture has (provoked) outrage amongst the American (people). In a statement issued yesterday (morning), Ives mentioned her "disgust" (with) the organization saying, "our own (American) people are being treated like the (enemy)...we should be directing our (attention) to the real target, the Soviets, not (our) own daughters and sons." Under legal (advice) Brenner has issued no comment on

(rest of article cut off; words above in parentheses are guessed, from context and letters that were visible)

Clipping #2, mid left from article with the photo, header is:

HAWKINS LAB BLOCKS INQUIRY

Can't make out enough of it to bother, would put my eyes out trying.

Clipping #3, below one with the photo; caption reads:

CORONER ARRESTED FOR FALSIFYING AUTOPSY

(can't read/decipher article)

Clipping #4, to the right of the clipping with Will's photo; wondering what this one is about, why it's with the other clippings here. No one named seems to be a character in the show this season. The article doesn't seem to me to have much to do with the headline either, or am I just dim?

MORE HEADS ROLL IN ONGOING STATE TROOPER SCANDAL

By M. ?

For the past few days, Carroll County State's Attorney Thomas E. Hickman has been advancing the argument that large contributions from defense lawyers were responsible for bouncing him from his post after 20 years. He maintains that they contributed to his primary opponent, Republican turned Democrat turned Republican Jerry F. Barnes, because he won't be "hard-nosed with [criminals] like we are."
  If Mr. Hickman made his argument in passing in the heat of a bitter election night, no further discussion would be needed. However, since Mr. Hickman persists in advancing it at every turn and will probably fashion it as the focal point of a possible write-in campaign in November, this argument needs to be put in its place.
  Four years ago when Mr. Barnes and Mr. Hickman faced off, Mr. Hickman narrowly won by a margin of about 600 votes out of 31,500 cast in the general election. Any political handicapper worth his salt would have expected another close race. Not only were they running in the Republican primary, which has fewer votes, but Mr. Hickman hasn't had a stellar run these past four years with major cases getting reversed on appeal and controversies dogging his drug task force. As expected, the race was again close, only this time Mr. Barnes won by a mere 172 votes.
  Did campaign contributions from defense attorneys make the decisive difference, as Mr. Hickman maintains, or was it some other factor? Mr. Barnes was the clear-cut victor in the campaign contributions race -- collecting $23,354 to Mr. Hickman's $8,965. That alone may explain why Mr. Barnes won. Eliminate the defense bar contributions and Mr. Barnes' campaign treasury is still nearly twice the size of Mr. Hickman's.
  Mr. Hickman relied heavily on his staff for his contributions. Attorneys, secretaries and investigators associated with his office provided a fifth of all the incumbent's money. Did Mr. Hickman shake down his staff for donations? That argument would be as ludicrous as Mr. Hickman saying that defense lawyers bought Mr. Barnes.

Updated On: 7/29/16 at 04:07 PM

EricMontreal22
#35STRANGER THINGS on Netflix
Posted: 7/29/16 at 4:22pm

Farmer's Daughter said: "EricMontreal22 said: 
"Ok his mom had a new, larger house in the final scene, right?  Umm how?  Did she sue for wrongful death after all?"

Bit neater and more organized maybe, but same house. Same wallpaper ... light over kitchen table ...

"

Thanks. I did entertain that idea lol so should have re watched the scene. 

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#36STRANGER THINGS on Netflix
Posted: 7/30/16 at 3:35am

More on all of this later but...

SNAFU said, "One did not have to pass through a portal to experience the dark blue snow effect either."

I think it’s Will that causes the “snow”.
Watch episode 8 - the scene where Jonathan has been given the gift of the camera. Will and Jonathan are in Jonathan’s car, and Will says, “Can I open it?” Even though it’s not snowing outside in any other parts of that scene, when Will gets excited about the camera [he says, “Whoa! Pretty cool!”] you can see large flakes drifting outside the car’s window behind the shot of Jonathan. In the next shot (outside the car), there is no snow falling. Neither is there snow falling on their walk to the car.
I haven’t yet taken the time to find further evidence, but my current suspicion is that Will creates the “snow”.

If Will does have some kind of special gift, it might account for why he was taken even though he was not bleeding. Additionally, Will appears to be the only one selected to gestate the alien babies. (Poor Barb, in that respect - always the bridesmaid, never the bride!)

----------------------------------------------------------

Farmer's Daughter said: all that great stuff about the news clippings.

Now, see… That’s the kind of subtle stuff I LOVE!!
RE: the headline, “MORE HEADS ROLL IN ONGOING STATE TROOPER SCANDAL”
    •    The state troopers were responsible for all the cover-ups. i.e., State Troopers found Will's bike and Barb’s car. One of the deputies tells the sheriff, “Seems she [Barb] ran away after all”. He then goes on to say, “Funny, right? They keep doing our job for us.
    •    It was also a State Trooper who found Will’s body - and we know how fake that was!
    •    States Attorneys are who you might file a complaint with when you have issues with government employees. Perhaps the reigning States Attorney was ousted purposefully (although that purpose may not be as known to Attorney Hickman as it might be to Joyce Byers...?) and the coverage in the local paper is of interest because of that.

More thoughts later. It’s been a long night at work and I’m very tired, but been thinking about these posts all night…

What great fun

Updated On: 7/30/16 at 03:35 AM

Farmer's Daughter
#37STRANGER THINGS on Netflix
Posted: 7/30/16 at 12:25pm

John Adams, thanks. That makes a lot of sense now, about that clipping.

That side by side reference video link you posted a ways back was pretty cool too.

I'm going to have to go back and view that Jonathan/Will/camera scene again!

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#38STRANGER THINGS on Netflix
Posted: 7/30/16 at 12:42pm

Nancy's dad creeps me out.

In episode 5, Nancy confesses, "I don't think my parents ever loved each other." Why is Nancy's dad (in more than one instance) the only adult character to make awkward comments regarding the unlikelihood that Jonathan might be capable of having a girlfriend? What's that about?

Farmer's Daughter
#39STRANGER THINGS on Netflix
Posted: 7/30/16 at 1:19pm

Nancy and Mike's dad is a clueless loser who thinks he knows everything about everything and everybody, but actually knows nothing at all.  He's annoying but at the same time he comes close to comic relief on the show, sort of like the stereotypical dumb sitcom dad.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#40STRANGER THINGS on Netflix
Posted: 7/31/16 at 12:18am

STRANGER THINGS on Netflix

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#41STRANGER THINGS on Netflix
Posted: 8/2/16 at 1:17pm

Just finished the season last night. I figured out the ending when they found will. It was kind of obvious to me. Now wondering where they will go with this. Part of me feels that they should just leave it where it is. Although, I am still not clear what the monster has to do with all of this and would like a bit more clarification.

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#42STRANGER THINGS on Netflix
Posted: 8/2/16 at 1:38pm

Jordan, that's hilarious. Thanks for that. 

Just finished the show yesterday, and absolutely loved it. The characters are what set this series apart, and I found myself being much more moved than would be expected by a series of this genre. I was highly impressed and I can't wait to revisit these characters next season. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#43STRANGER THINGS on Netflix
Posted: 8/2/16 at 3:03pm

Ok, I just realized what letters were lighting up. Too funny. I found it and posted it on my facebook page just as a fan of the show. Now it serves two purposes in one!

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#44STRANGER THINGS on Netflix
Posted: 8/2/16 at 3:07pm

To call STRANGER THINGS mere pastiche or cliche is missing the party.   STRANGER THINGS doesn't merely wink (at everything from ET to CLOSE ENCOUNTERS to POLTERGEIST to BREAKING AWAY to STAND BY ME to BLOW UP).  This is beyond coarse manipulation.  It's rhapsody.  STRANGER THINGS knows exactly why we melted to begin with.  It aims far higher than antiseptic reassembly of our movieloving memories.  It wants to emotionally reignite them.   And it does.

It's collage filmmaking.  Deliciously derivative. 

Updated On: 8/3/16 at 03:07 PM

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#45STRANGER THINGS on Netflix
Posted: 8/2/16 at 5:53pm

^ Not to mention that amazing soundtrack, one of the best on TV in years. For those with Tidal, they have a playlist up now with most of the songs used in the series. Sublime. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#46STRANGER THINGS on Netflix
Posted: 8/2/16 at 9:15pm

They have announced that they are releasing the soundtrack for season 1.

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#47STRANGER THINGS on Netflix
Posted: 8/2/16 at 11:21pm

The soundtrack is also available on Spotify. 

EricMontreal22
#48STRANGER THINGS on Netflix
Posted: 8/3/16 at 2:30am

uncageg said: "Just finished the season last night. I figured out the ending when they found will. It was kind of obvious to me.

"

I'm curious what you mean--umm what was left to figure out when they found Will?

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#49STRANGER THINGS on Netflix
Posted: 8/3/16 at 3:07am

i think uncaged was referring to pieces of that tentacle being stuck in Will and how he now has some mysterious powers

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."