pixeltracker

Riedel on Groundhog Day coming to Broadway- Page 2

Riedel on Groundhog Day coming to Broadway

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#25Riedel on Groundhog Day coming to Broadway
Posted: 8/19/16 at 2:02pm

I love Andy Karl.  I think he's super talented.  But...Hugh Jackman-like fame? That's (to put it mildly) a stretch.

Princeton2
#26Riedel on Groundhog Day coming to Broadway
Posted: 8/19/16 at 3:13pm

The reviews here have been strong but certainly before the reviews it hasnt set the box office alight, not sure how much impact the reviews have had. Word of mouth has been strong but i dont get the feeling its really capturing the public imagination 

Liza's Headband
#27Riedel on Groundhog Day coming to Broadway
Posted: 8/19/16 at 3:16pm

WiCkEDrOcKS said: "I love Andy Karl.  I think he's super talented.  But...Hugh Jackman-like fame? That's (to put it mildly) a stretch.

"

THIS

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#28Riedel on Groundhog Day coming to Broadway
Posted: 8/19/16 at 3:38pm

Guuuurl your headband is on too tight. ANDY KARL is a bonafide TALENT!!!

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

Skimbleshanks2
#29Riedel on Groundhog Day coming to Broadway
Posted: 8/19/16 at 3:38pm

double post sorry

Updated On: 8/19/16 at 03:38 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#30Riedel on Groundhog Day coming to Broadway
Posted: 8/19/16 at 3:43pm

Skimbleshanks2 said: "ANDY KARL is a bonafide TALENT!!!"

Nobody has disagreed with this, lol...

Updated On: 8/19/16 at 03:43 PM

Skimbleshanks2
#31Riedel on Groundhog Day coming to Broadway
Posted: 8/19/16 at 3:44pm

LOL... Maybe so... I just get defensive... My husband yells at me for this all the time Riedel on Groundhog Day coming to Broadway

Liza's Headband
#32Riedel on Groundhog Day coming to Broadway
Posted: 8/19/16 at 5:26pm

You really do need professional help. 

aaaaaa15
#33Riedel on Groundhog Day coming to Broadway
Posted: 8/19/16 at 6:44pm

Princeton2 said: "The reviews here have been strong but certainly before the reviews it hasnt set the box office alight, not sure how much impact the reviews have had. Word of mouth has been strong but i dont get the feeling its really capturing the public imagination 

It has actually helped. They're using dynamic pricing and before the reviews there was a lot of £30 seats in the stalls. Now there's none of those and the cheapest seats in the stalls are nearly £60. Plus, the balcony is completely sold out for most performances now which wasn't the case pre-reviews.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#34Riedel on Groundhog Day coming to Broadway
Posted: 8/19/16 at 6:53pm

Liza's Headband said: "WiCkEDrOcKS said: "I love Andy Karl.  I think he's super talented.  But...Hugh Jackman-like fame? That's (to put it mildly) a stretch.

"

THIS

"

Yes...is Riedel trying to pick up? You become Hugh Jackman-fame because of movie roles, not theatre fame.

Similarly, I thought that he also was exaggerating Manuel's box-office prowess. It was always Hamilton that was the star...I personally still wouldn't bank on any show that Manuel stars in being a hit. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Skimbleshanks2
#35Riedel on Groundhog Day coming to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/16 at 7:20am

Liza's Headband said: "You really do need professional help. 

"

Updated On: 8/20/16 at 07:20 AM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#36Riedel on Groundhog Day coming to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/16 at 7:28am

qolbinau said: "Similarly, I thought that he also was exaggerating Manuel's box-office prowess. It was always Hamilton that was the star...I personally still wouldn't bank on any show that Manuel stars in being a hit. "

did you not notice all that hullabaloo that occurred when he was leaving the show? resale tickets sold for thousands of dollars. the guy is a star.

also I think you can bank on it; he's starred in two musicals on Broadway and look! both hits.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#37Riedel on Groundhog Day coming to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/16 at 10:43am

Both shows did just fine without him unlike If/Then which tanked whenever Idina was out.   

Miranda is not a great actor and not a great singer. As evident by those Mona commercials. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#38Riedel on Groundhog Day coming to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/16 at 10:54am

he clearly has something more important than acting and singing ability: star quality.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#39Riedel on Groundhog Day coming to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/16 at 11:02am

Says you. 

I think he's a great writer, but no one was really clamoring to see him in things before the Hamilton hype. 

Oak2
#40Riedel on Groundhog Day coming to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/16 at 11:59am

I think that people are more interested in stuff done BY LMM than actually seeing him IN something. LMM is much more well-loved for his writing and music than for his actual acting, as evidenced by Hamilton being just as huge without him there, and, from what I've seen at least, a lot more people being excited about LMM contributing songs to Moana and the Little Mermaid remake than for him appearing in Mary Poppins Returns.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#41Riedel on Groundhog Day coming to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/16 at 12:02pm

RippedMan said: "Miranda is not a great actor"

aaaaaa15
#42Riedel on Groundhog Day coming to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/16 at 12:12pm

Oak2 said: "I think that people are more interested in stuff done BY LMM than actually seeing him IN something. LMM is much more well-loved for his writing and music than for his actual acting, as evidenced by Hamilton being just as huge without him there, and, from what I've seen at least, a lot more people being excited about LMM contributing songs to Moana and the Little Mermaid remake than for him appearing in Mary Poppins Returns.

I agree. Not everything he stars in will have a ton of initial interest, but I'm willing to bet everything he contributes to in terms of writing will for the forseeable future. If it's something he writes and stars in then that's a bonus. He is a writing star, not an acting star. The argument that he wasn't a star before Hamilton so he can't be now is silly though, every star has their breakout moment.

Anyway, this is getting very off-topic.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#43Riedel on Groundhog Day coming to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/16 at 12:19pm

RippedMan said: "I think he's a great writer, but no one was really clamoring to see him in things before the Hamilton hype."

I didn't realize a correlation existed between an actor's pull at the box office and his or her innate charisma.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#44Riedel on Groundhog Day coming to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/16 at 6:14pm

gypsy101 said: "qolbinau said: "Similarly, I thought that he also was exaggerating Manuel's box-office prowess. It was always Hamilton that was the star...I personally still wouldn't bank on any show that Manuel stars in being a hit. "

did you not notice all that hullabaloo that occurred when he was leaving the show? resale tickets sold for thousands of dollars. the guy is a star.

also I think you can bank on it; he's starred in two musicals on Broadway and look! both hits.

"

I don't deny he probably sold some tickets, but with both shows I think the causality of box office success is likely better explained by other factors. In the Heights he was basically completely unknown so it's very unlikely its success was due to his name. With Hamilton, his departure was likely timed with a general decrease in hype for the show. Had he left the day before the Tony Awards I'd guess those very high resale prices would still have persisted for a similar amount of time. Indeed, the whole increase in resale prices peaked around the Tony Awards I believe. They didn't peak for the entire duration of Miranda's involvement. I'm sure he was loved and had his fans, but it is and always has been the show marketed as the draw. There is little indication that audiences generally are really bothered whether Miranda is in the show or not. When someone is responsible for the box office success, the show tanks without their involvement. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 8/20/16 at 06:14 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#45Riedel on Groundhog Day coming to Broadway
Posted: 8/21/16 at 12:21am

CupidBoy: Well, I think there is. Miranda is a great writer, but not a great performer. I've seen the show. I've seen his performance. It's better without him. It's better with someone who can sing and act. And I think the Chicago production will be inane. 

BroadwayConceriage: You can throw all the shade you want, but to me he's not a great actor. You can hear it on each recording. It's the same Schtick. His Unsavi and his Hamilton are the same damn thing. 

I think he wrote rap that a bunch of white peoples could comprehend and get behind and that's why he's considered such a genius. 

aaaaaa15
#46Riedel on Groundhog Day coming to Broadway
Posted: 8/24/16 at 3:43pm

I saw the show today. DEH and the Great Comet have nothing to worry about in regards to this musical. It's good, very good for London standards but it's nothing exceptional and lacks the originality of the aforementioned shows. The only exceptional part is Andy Karl's performance.

Updated On: 8/24/16 at 03:43 PM

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#47Riedel on Groundhog Day coming to Broadway
Posted: 8/24/16 at 4:41pm

Just a thought: Cramming gifs into your posts makes this already slow-loading, ad-overloaded site even worse.